• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Dravid had've retired 3-4 years ago...

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
And finished with a Test average around 57-58, how much higher would be rated?

He was 33-34 years of age, had already played 110 Tests, scored 23 centuries and made 9000+ runs in Test Cricket. Since Dec 2006, Dravid's average has dropped from 58 to 53 and almost to 51 at one point. He has also added just 6 hundreds.

IMO, it hasn't changed the fact that Dravid is still an alltime great batsman, but I get the feeling that if he had've packed it in earlier then he could've left the game with higher esteem and perhaps be rated almost, if not on par with the likes of Ponting, Tendulkar and Lara.

How much has the last 3-4 years tarnished Dravid's reputation?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
In 2006, Dravid was considered a step below the true greats regardless of what he averaged. Four years later, he is still considered a step below the greats.

No change. Reputation remains the same.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are right pasag.He was being written off and i think we are all glad he has proven us wrong.

As for Dravid,he will always be ranked below Tendulkar but he is one of the top 3 Indian players ever with Gavaskar completing the top 3.In time Sehwag may make it a quartet.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
He'd be remember as a guy who retired too early.

If you just read the posts from cricketweb you'd think the most important thing a batsman can do is have a high average. Averages only tell you how many runs the guy made divided by the times he was dismissed. Tells you nothing about how those runs were made, when they were made or useful those runs were to winning or how difficult they were to score.

Same thing could be said for Border, Richards and Miandad. All 3 lowered their their averages by a similar margin in the last 3-4 years of their careers. Though all 3 during that time still contributed and played important innings. All 3 are remembered as greats.

Sir Alex

Banned
Not for the rest of his career. He did look hopeless for a long time before the end spurt though - From what I remember anyway
Between 07 and 08, averaged about 33. That's not exactly falling away imho. The impact felt more because he played 25 tests in this period, which took the toll on his average.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I think Cricinfo summed it up beautifully when it said that no-one seemed to notice when Dravid's average passed Tendulkar's on the way up. Says it all about the level Dravid was at in his prime.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair call by perm re Tendulkar in that thread

I'm confident that he'll come good again and turn out to be a run machine for another year or two. The series in England is going to be a crucial point though, if he fails in the Test's then I can see his Test career being over.

Himannv

International Coach
Dont write him off yet. I think he can still score 100's in tests if given the chance. He may look out of place in a t20 squad but in tests I think he can still perform at the required levels.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think Dravid still has it in him and regardless of when he retires he will be talked as one of India's best batsmen.

AaronK

State Regular
He wouldn't be in my all time greats even then..

I like master blasters like lara, sachin, viv Richards, Sehwag and afew others..

Dravid had never had that kind of strike rate to be with those batsmans.. I even have doubts about kallies but he might end up there because of his bowling..