• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting vs. Steve Waugh, Who Was the Better Batsman?

Who was the better batsman?

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting is marginally the better batsman.

Waugh the better skipper by far.

Still, Waugh in the 90s was utterly brilliant and was probably the batsman of the decade.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Waugh.. Same reason I struggle to put Ponting ahead of Sachin or Lara for me... The times he played against some of the best is very less and plus, he was not at his peak unlike Sachin, Lara or Waugh.. But still, they did it more often against them while he didn't. Not his fault but I struggle to rate Ponting anywhere, tbh.. I just don't think whatever I do will do justice to him... It is just so unfortunate his career happened when it did. I really do wish his career happened alongside Mark Waugh, so to speak. That way, we could have compared all 4 of the greats off a more even keel. :(

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As good a bat as Ponting is he has had it easier in terms of opposition bowlers and i know which of the two i would choose if you had to pick someone to bat for your life.Steve Waugh is/was a legend and as tough as they come.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Ponting.

People say Ponting never faced West Indian fast bowlers? He faced Walsh and Ambrose quite often.

Waugh played against England during their worst ever decade and made 30% of his runs against them. Remove England and his average is around 48.6.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Waugh strived to become the great batsman he was and wasn't as naturally gifted as Ponting. I also think the margin between them is hardly great either. But perhaps as a kiwi I appreciate the grinding 'proven against greats' style of Waugh to Ponting's more natural brilliance.
I agree Ponting looks the more lavishly gifted, but I also suspect Waugh was a more naturally blessed batsman than he appeared to be. SRW made a career out of self-denial; I've seen Aussies of a certain age, on CW and elsewhere, say he used to play the hook quite regularly as a tyro, but when he realised he was getting out to it a lot he put the shot back into the cupboard permanently.

To my way of thinking there are two types of grafters, those who play that way out of necessity (Richardson, Boycott, Tavare, Shoaib Mohammed) and those who resolve to restrict their natural game for one of quiet accumulation (Kallis, Barrington). I'd put Waugh in the latter camp. Had all the shots; chose not to use 'em.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I was a schoolkid for much of Waugh's career and he never really caught my imagination. I was quite shallow then, looking for style over substance, and didn't really appreciate Waugh senior until later in his career.

However, despite Waugh's great mental strength, which is unquestionable, Ponting is a clear division above him as a batsman. Closer to two divisions in limited overs cricket.

Burgey

Waugh's first Ashes tour was an endless array of sublime shots tbh. He looked like something out of the 1930s that tour, wearing his cap and shirt sleeves down.

He curtailed a lot of his shots, but his back foot cover drive remained a thing of beauty always.

When he scored that last ball ton vs England, there was so much tension, but really, once he got on strike, I honestly thought he was always going to get it. He was that kind of bloke - pit a task or a target in front of him and nothing else mattered. He was so demonstrably single-minded it was intimidating in itself.

Top_Cat

I agree Ponting looks the more lavishly gifted, but I also suspect Waugh was a more naturally blessed batsman than he appeared to be. SRW made a career out of self-denial; I've seen Aussies of a certain age, on CW and elsewhere, say he used to play the hook quite regularly as a tyro, but when he realised he was getting out to it a lot he put the shot back into the cupboard permanently.

To my way of thinking there are two types of grafters, those who play that way out of necessity (Richardson, Boycott, Tavare, Shoaib Mohammed) and those who resolve to restrict their natural game for one of quiet accumulation (Kallis, Barrington). I'd put Waugh in the latter camp. Had all the shots; chose not to use 'em.
Yeah for sure. Interestingly, when he started using MRF bats, the shots started to return. Distinctly remember seeing a far more aggressive Waugh in his last couple of years and his knock in this match was unbelievable;

Final: Western Australia v New South Wales at Perth, Feb 23, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Was about 37 there and was incredible to watch him dismember Brad Williams, one of the more in-form quicks in the country at that time (and quick). A few of those boundaries were his signature shots but there were a few pulls there including his one 6.

(And yes Craig, I still have the highlights. :D)

Out of curiosity, I bought an MRF Conquer (the Waugh sig model) and, tbh, it was the most slogger-friendly bat I've ever used. Was hard not to middle it but if you didn't, the ball still fairly sailed. After using one for a couple of seasons, I'm not surprised he pulled the big shots out of the cupboard.

andyc

Yeah for sure. Interestingly, when he started using MRF bats, the shots started to return. Distinctly remember seeing a far more aggressive Waugh in his last couple of years and his knock in this match was unbelievable;

Final: Western Australia v New South Wales at Perth, Feb 23, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Was about 37 there and was incredible to watch him dismember Brad Williams, one of the more in-form quicks in the country at that time (and quick). A few of those boundaries were his signature shots but there were a few pulls there including his one 6.

(And yes Craig, I still have the highlights. :D)

Out of curiosity, I bought an MRF Conquer (the Waugh sig model) and, tbh, it was the most slogger-friendly bat I've ever used. Was hard not to middle it but if you didn't, the ball still fairly sailed. After using one for a couple of seasons, I'm not surprised he pulled the big shots out of the cupboard.
Youtube?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting.

People say Ponting never faced West Indian fast bowlers? He faced Walsh and Ambrose quite often.

Waugh played against England during their worst ever decade and made 30% of his runs against them. Remove England and his average is around 48.6.
Stuff like this is really annoying. Cherry Picking of stats to prove BS. I do believe that Ponting is the better batsman but to suggest that SRW somehow played a worse attack is really upsetting.

Steve Waugh played cricket in 3 different decades and faced much better bowling throughout his career than Ponting did.

Yes Ponting did play against Ambrose/Walsh, he averaged 40, Waugh averaged 47+.

Pothas

Would agree with this and both Barrington and Waugh were far more aggressive in their younger days, would include Chanderpaul as well, has that amusing ability to go occasionally go mental.

Nevertheless Ponting has that ‘otherness’ that when playing he does not look like a normal batsman. I think it is just the sheer decisiveness and confidence that really separates him from the rest. Would say that only Lara, Sachin and Sehwag from players I have seen have this something extra special, although Pietersen has it at times. Players like Waugh, Dravid and Kallis just look like they are playing normal cricket perfectly which I actually find just as enjoyable.