• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Healy Appreciation Thread

slippy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
One of the best wicketkeepers i have seen, he rarely made a mistake with the gloves and he was also a very handy lower order batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When the awesomeness of their career is outweighed by their commentary you know there is just something about their commentary.

You've got that with Benaud... and now Healy.

For entirely different reasons!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Exactly so. Would appreciate him an awful lot more if he STFU.

Has improved very slightly, but there was effectively only one way to go.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His hundred against Ambrose/Walsh/Bishop at the Gabba was pure class and will go down as one of the greatest hundreds of all time.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Edit: sorry, this is an appreciation thread, and on reflection I shouldn't write what I wrote.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Heally was a great wicket keeper, no doubt, probably one of the greatest of all time. His work ethic was second-to-none. What a champion. I'm one of the rare few who enjoys his commentary, but can see how others don't like it.

fredfertang

Edit: sorry, this is an appreciation thread, and on reflection I shouldn't write what I wrote.
Have another couple of glasses of Rioja and reinstate it Mr Z - if its remotely close to your usual high standard I have no doubt it will entertain rather than derail :)

Teja.

Global Moderator
To be fair to him though, Healy is genuinely insightful and entertaining when talking about wicket-keeping.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Has anyone else read his autobiography? Hands & Heals. It was a decent read.

Echo Stephen's thoughts of Healy's 100 at the GABBA, was a very fine knock, I really liked his cut shot.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Nobody could deposit a delivery from one of the great West Indian quicks over the square leg fence quite like Healy.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
To be fair to him though, Healy is genuinely insightful and entertaining when talking about wicket-keeping.
When Healy first started commentating he was quite insightful about many aspects of the game and was quite technical. Overtime he has dumbed dumb his commentary to Footy Show level and become even more parochial - even by Queenslander standards.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm coming out of the closet; I like his commentary :ph34r:
Cant see the reason for so much hate.
I'll take this one:

he comes across (or used to when he started) as a chippy, sarky penis who makes it sound as if doing a job that most people on this forum would kill for is a tremendous effort for him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To counterbalance a few of the less friendly posters here regarding Healy... :p

Few blokes I know swear by him as a keeping coach, reckon he is an absolute genius. Things that seemed tiny and irrelevant, which they said made their job so much easier as wicketkeepers.

Pothas

I'll take this one:

he comes across (or used to when he started) as a chippy, sarky penis who makes it sound as if doing a job that most people on this forum would kill for is a tremendous effort for him.
Think I would hate him if I was Australian or he was English but as it is he just makes me laugh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha I do agree that we're being harsh on Heals in an appreciation thread.

So I'll say I'll never forget how much his arse stuck out when he batted. Really weird stance.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's certainly not my fave commentator, though I thought he was better this past summer.

As a keeper (as opposed to keeper-batsman) he's the best I've seen play for Australia since I started watching.

Last edited: