• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/night Test cricket

Who would like to see day/night Test cricket.

• Total voters

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Leave the gimmicks to the shorter versions of the game.

I guess you could play a day nighter in Australia but it would never work in England so if you can't do it in one country you shouldn't do it at all.

DingDong

State Captain

I guess you could play a day nighter in Australia but it would never work in England so if you can't do it in one country you shouldn't do it at all.
it doesnt matter what the authorities do test cricket will never increase in popularity only old ppl care about tests and when that generation dies out so will test cricket

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
it doesnt matter what the authorities do test cricket will never increase in popularity only old ppl care about tests and when that generation dies out so will test cricket
Not so.

Anyhow I've changed my mind about the question of D/N Tests, would like to see them given a try.

Himannv

International Coach
Most definitely not. Lets keep with the tradition here. There is too much change in the game already that it is almost reduced to nothing more than a commercial, money making, business minded joke. Only Test cricket remains somewhat untarnished by all of it and I hope it continues to stay that way for many a year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't want it to happen before they can solve any potential issues with the ball, but if they can fix that I really don't care either way.

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
Most definitely not. Lets keep with the tradition here. There is too much change in the game already that it is almost reduced to nothing more than a commercial, money making, business minded joke. Only Test cricket remains somewhat untarnished by all of it and I hope it continues to stay that way for many a year.
That's not really a good argument against D/N test matches. Saying that test cricket should be limited to days just for the sake of keeping the tradition is pretty weak.

Himannv

International Coach
That's not really a good argument against D/N test matches. Saying that test cricket should be limited to days just for the sake of keeping the tradition is pretty weak.
Why not go the whole way and advocate the colourful fancy dress costumes and fielding restrictions for the first 30 overs per innings as well? Think about it, strategic timeouts, cheerleaders on the side and a white ball. Lets get the party started!!! :cool:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly not necessary in England. The long hours of daylight and the fact that the crowds are still coming to watch would mean it would be a gimmick for the sake of it with no real purpose or gain.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Frankly that is utter bollox and you know nothing.
Not really.

Ever spoken to someone under the age of 24 lately? Lets say even if you put a funnel into their mouths and pour Ritalin down their throats they would still have concentrating on a test match.

Oh, and before someone says "hey, I'm 19 and I love test cricket and my views represent every single person of my generation" let me say you're the exception, not the norm.

Its the way of the world. It sucks that everything is being dumbed down at an alarming rate, but theres nothing a few old die hards can do about it.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man

Didnt think about that. If a touring team didnt play day/night tests at home they would be at a disadvantage. But that was the case of teams touring Australia in the early 80's. And most teams would be experienced at playing ODI and T20's under lights.

DingDong

State Captain
Frankly that is utter bollox and you know nothing.

hey there's no need for that flibbertyjibber ok. how many people go to test cricket these days test cricket wont survive without the t20 and odi money. even the people who say they like test cricket probably don't go there that much anyway

shivfan

Banned
Of course it won't work in England, and it doesn't need to, because Tests get great crowds there. But this isn't just about England....

In quite a few countries around the world, Test audiences have dwindled to a trickle. Day/night Tests would make a lot of sense there.

Maybe they might bring back some crowds to Caribbean Test cricket.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
lol at dingdong

Anyway. Don't mind it. Why not? I'd probably be keen for it once the ball issues are sorted

IMO, Test crowd issues are only a problem in West Indies and New Zealand (depends whose playing though).