• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic sledges

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't seen a thread for this so I thought I'd create one. I think I've heard most of the famous ones but let's hear them again anyway. :)

I'll get us started with this one : When Gatting was bowled by Shane Warne's ball of the century at Old Trafford in 1993, Graham Gooch said, "if it was a bacon and egg roll it would not have got past him". :laugh: OK, not exactly a sledge, but you get the picture.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"If you hit me for another six , I'm going rip out your stomach and choke on your own guts."

-Me, to my eleven year old cousin

I dont know if its really a sledge but this season I drove the ball rather hard straight into the silly mid off hitting him in the thigh, his teammates pointed out it was a catch and because he put it down he had to pay a fine. At the end of the over I walked over to the fielder and told him it was a bump ball and his teammates were conning him into paying a fine. For the next couple of overs he was arguing with his teammates over being fined saying it was a bump ball so he didnt have to pay.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
During a Test match in the West Indies, Merv Hughes was staring at Viv Richards after deliveries. Viv said: "This is my island, my culture. Don't you be staring at me like that." Merv didn't reply, but after dismissing him, said: "Mate, in our culture we just say **** off."

TRUE!: "I thought I'd had Viv fairly adjacent lbw but the ump didn't agree," Hughes recalls. "I gave Viv a bit of a glare and he was saying: 'This is my culture, these are my people, don't be staring at me like that'. Next over Allan Border brought Dean Jones into silly mid-off, right under Viv's nose. And Viv's tried to slog me but been caught at mid-off. When I ran past I said: 'Mate in our culture we'll just tell you to **** off." Wonderful repartee Merv!

----------------------------

In the 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed Miandad called Merv Hughes a "fat bus conductor." A few balls later Merv dismissed Javed and as he ran past him said: 'Tickets please!'

TRUE!: "Though he actually called me a fat bus driver," says Hughes. "Javed played and missed a few times and I;d give him a glare and want to say something, but it was team policy not to target him verbally...Then he called me a fat bus driver! When I got him I said: "Tickets please!"
Ones involving Merv :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haddin implying that Sinclair's shoes were possibly tied together in the recent Test series was amusing. Not really a classic but clearly audible for the TV audience.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ones involving Merv: This time from an person who is now known to sledge.

1989, Brisbane, where Merv tried to test de Silva with the bouncer, and to see that ball disappearing to the sqaure leg boundry. Then he tried to test him by other means and said "****ing midgets should not be allowed to play". De Silva, usually deadly quiet guy, walked passed Merv and asid "But, Merv, midgets do have larger brains (than you)"

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Fred Trueman - While bowling the batsman edges and the ball goes to first slip,and right between Raman Subba Row's legs. Fred doesn't say a word. At the end of the over, Row ambles past Trueman and apologises sheepishly. "I should've kept my legs together, Fred". "So should your mother," he replied.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Fred Trueman - While bowling the batsman edges and the ball goes to first slip,and right between Raman Subba Row's legs. Fred doesn't say a word. At the end of the over, Row ambles past Trueman and apologises sheepishly. "I should've kept my legs together, Fred". "So should your mother," he replied.
It was actually, "No, your mother should have."

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man

1989, Brisbane, where Merv tried to test de Silva with the bouncer, and to see that ball disappearing to the sqaure leg boundry. Then he tried to test him by other means and said "****ing midgets should not be allowed to play". De Silva, usually deadly quiet guy, walked passed Merv and asid "But, Merv, midgets do have larger brains (than you)"
Dunno about that but you might find this one pretty funny, mate.

YouTube - Kumar Sledgering - Hiliarious

Teja.

Global Moderator

Not very funny to be honest.