Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Classic sledges

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Indeed. Harbhajan's sledge of Symonds, imo, was the beginning of the end of Symonds' career. Not because of what was said, but because of what followed.

An already fragile personality just did not cope with the fall out and it was a slippery slope to oblivion.

Sort of thing I meant about non-offensive is when we were playing last year and the opposition needed about 10 to win, two wickets in hand.

Young bloke batting who'd had a bit to say. Ball goes down leg, flicks his pad. We all go up and he says "Get ****ed". I was at 1st slip and asked what was wrong. He said "you can't appeal for that". I said "mate, we can ask the question"
    "Not for that"
    "Why don't you just bat and let the unpire, umpire?"
    "**** off, I'll shove this bat up your arse"
    "Use the bottom so I get a thrill".
    He goes down over his bat and just as the bowler is about to run in I said " Don't gas up young fella".
    So he stops the bowler, turns to me, points his bat, looks at the umpire and says "he sledged me". Umpire didn't hear anything. Play on.
    Next ball, spoons it to cover. We won by eight. Boys happy. To his credit he shook my hand after and admitted I'd got him good.

Sorry it was a bit long-winded.
    Interesting anecdote. However such a behaviour from a youngster would've merited a pinch on the ears here.
    Also I felt symmo was someone who made the best out of his peak as a cricketer. I always saw him as one in the league of TilDil, hardworking but not excessively gifted, but rose to world reckoning during their peaks. He was always going back to level once it was through, just that the incident was a catalyst.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah no doubt. There seemed a self-destructive side to his character which was in evidence before Sydney.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Steve Waugh to Herschelle Gibbs after being dropped is an obvious one.

"You just dropped the World Cup"

although I think Steve Waugh might have confessed that what he actually said was Gibbs just dropped the game.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Hockey fights look so stupid.
    Last edited by GotSpin; 21-04-2010 at 03:09 AM.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

This happened when I was playing for the Inter Faculty games in University. Of course the debate was done in my native language.

We were 7 down and I was promoted from No. 10 because spinners were in tandem. Opposition captain was Jehan Mubarak (who played for SL later). A leggie was bowling. Muba came up to short cover and positioned himself and said "Hey, hit the ball right here" showing his cupped hands. The bowler bowled, a loopy leggy, I went down the pitch and hit it inside out pass Muba's head for a four. He had no time to react (when I hit them, they monstrously stay hit, but I am mainly a stubborn defensive batsman). I said to him "Get back to sweeper and protect your ****ing head" Muba lost the plot and my partner launched a fearsome attack on the bowlers to win the game.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    even ****ty american poo still catches on.
    Try shaving your asscrack then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    This happened when I was playing for the Inter Faculty games in University. Of course the debate was done in my native language.

We were 7 down and I was promoted from No. 10 because spinners were in tandem. Opposition captain was Jehan Mubarak (who played for SL later). A leggie was bowling. Muba came up to short cover and positioned himself and said "Hey, hit the ball right here" showing his cupped hands. The bowler bowled, a loopy leggy, I went down the pitch and hit it inside out pass Muba's head for a four. He had no time to react (when I hit them, they monstrously stay hit, but I am mainly a stubborn defensive batsman). I said to him "Get back to sweeper and protect your ****ing head" Muba lost the plot and my partner launched a fearsome attack on the bowlers to win the game.
    Seems like he's carried till now

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    SS if I want to watch fighting I'll watch Boxing or MMA not Ice Hockey
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    SS if I want to watch fighting I'll watch Boxing or MMA not Ice Hockey
    Bleh, boxing is boring. MMA is too much ground game. Ice Hockey fights FTW. Hold on to the other guy with one hand to keep from slipping, and wail on him with the other. No defense, just how many punches per second you can land on his face while remaining conscious as he's landing them on yours. Simple awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Maybe ice cricket with fights will be similarly awesome.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    There's nothing like a good sledge-out. I think I can claim three in my life.

First was staring down the barrel in a game for University 4ths. I'm captain/keeper, it's getting dark and I'm not even allowed to bowl the medium pacers that I stand up to the stumps to. So I resort to asking the guy who's just made 50 whether anyone's ever hit the ball over the fence at the end of the ground, He tells me loads of people have done, so then I asked him if he had - and it transpires he hasn't. So next ball, he tries going over the top, skews it inches over the bowler's grasp and short of mid off. "Never mind, mate," I tell him, "nearly got there. Maybe next time?" Cue a horrific wild swipe at the next ball, a clean-bowled batsman and an Exeter Uni win by a handful of runs.

The next one was rather more basic, and a team effort. Club game last summer on what appeared to be an allotment patch - I batted for an hour for 9 - we were all out for 72 or something, and one particular teenager was full of it. Naturally, ten overs into their runchase, when they were 20 for 6, we were giving him all of his lines (and they were village) back with interest. My personal contribution was a ball-by-ball deconstruction of his technique, stance, footwork and backswing that led to the stumps going walkies before very much longer.

My personal favourite came on Wimbledon finals day three years ago. At a drinks break in the oppo innings, one of their batsmen shouted to the pavilion for the score in the mens' final. I told him that if he was that bothered about the tennis, then he should get himself out and go and watch it, which he didn't seem too fond of as an idea. I then decided to call out tennis scores from midwicket for the remainder of the over. He had a play-and-miss at his first delivery - 0-15 - before getting bat on the second, so I kept my mouth shut. He then collected a lot of fresh air on the next two balls - 15-30; 15-40 - "break point", before obligingly having a heave at a straight one the very next ball to feed me the perfect punchline. "Game, set, match..."
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post

The time I sledged Sanz and got banned was pretty amusing iirc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Interesting anecdote. However such a behaviour from a youngster would've merited a pinch on the ears here.
    Also I felt symmo was someone who made the best out of his peak as a cricketer. I always saw him as one in the league of TilDil, hardworking but not excessively gifted, but rose to world reckoning during their peaks. He was always going back to level once it was through, just that the incident was a catalyst.
    Think he was the opposite myself, incredibly gifted sportsperson but not as hard-working as he needed to be to fully realise his talents. He played hockey in our area before he switched to cricket (or maybe at the same time) and he was bloody good at that too. He put on a partnership of about 400-odd in a one-day game on the Gold Coast with Mathew Mott when they were both about 16 or 17 if I recall correctly.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information