Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classic sledges

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I've been saying it repeatedly. We need this in Test cricket. If you're going to insult someone's kid, you need to be prepared to take a stump to your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    This. Also it is hugely subjective what is personal or not depending on various things like the guy's culture, upbringing etc.

Which is why am opposed to any kind of talk in international matches. The symmo-Bhajji episod is perfect example. Although I don't agree with 'teri ma ki' either, as it is so foul mouthed that you don't expect to get away with it without a thrashing in a street in india.
    Indeed. Harbhajan's sledge of Symonds, imo, was the beginning of the end of Symonds' career. Not because of what was said, but because of what followed.

An already fragile personality just did not cope with the fall out and it was a slippery slope to oblivion.

Sort of thing I meant about non-offensive is when we were playing last year and the opposition needed about 10 to win, two wickets in hand.

Young bloke batting who'd had a bit to say. Ball goes down leg, flicks his pad. We all go up and he says "Get ****ed". I was at 1st slip and asked what was wrong. He said "you can't appeal for that". I said "mate, we can ask the question"
    "Not for that"
    "Why don't you just bat and let the unpire, umpire?"
    "**** off, I'll shove this bat up your arse"
    "Use the bottom so I get a thrill".
    He goes down over his bat and just as the bowler is about to run in I said " Don't gas up young fella".
    So he stops the bowler, turns to me, points his bat, looks at the umpire and says "he sledged me". Umpire didn't hear anything. Play on.
    Next ball, spoons it to cover. We won by eight. Boys happy. To his credit he shook my hand after and admitted I'd got him good.

Sorry it was a bit long-winded.
    Last edited by Burgey; 20-04-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I've been saying it repeatedly. We need this in Test cricket. If you're going to insult someone's kid, you need to be prepared to take a stump to your face.
    And no one likes your idea because its ****ty American poo.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Indeed. Harbhajan's sledge of Symonds, imo, was the beginning of the end of Symonds' career. Not because of what was said, but because of what followed.

An already fragile personality just did not cope with the fall out and it was a slippery slope to oblivion.

Sort of thing I meant about non-offensive is when we were playing last year and the opposition needed about 10 to win, two wickets in hand.

Young bloke batting who'd had a bit to say. Ball goes down leg, flicks his pad. We all go up and he says "Get ****ed". I was at 1st slip and asked what was wrong. He said "you can't appeal for that". I said "mate, we can ask the question"
    "Not for that"
    "Why don't you just bat and let the unpire, umpire?"
    "**** off, I'll shove this bat up your arse"
    "Use the bottom so I get a thrill".
    He goes down over his bat and just as the bowler is about to run in I said " Don't gas up young fella".
    So he stops the bowler, turns to me, points his bat, looks at the umpire and says "he sledged me". Umpire didn't hear anything. Play on.
    Next ball, spoons it to cover. We won by eight. Boys happy. To his credit he shook my hand after and admitted I'd got him good.

Sorry it was a bit long-winded.
    Just out of curiousity, who do you play for mate?

In my team (recently defunct) we always used to give a little bit to the batsmen but it wasn't ever offensive. The more personal and offensive stuff was reserved for each other and, in particular, our skipper, who copped an awful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Ridiculous.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

So close to sigging this.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Life on Limbrick's Avatar
    I have to say that sledging is a great tactic in cricket, but is a difficult skill to perfect. I have played against and alongside some absolutely awful sledgers, who's box of tricks consists of expletives and mum jokes.

I think a lot of it depends of situations and who the opponent is, for example in my team we have played two games this season. In both games, after we had taken a wicket by bowling a batsman, and a new batsman was at the crease, the umpire paused the game for the square leg to straighten the stump.

In the first game, with the eldery umpire taking an age, i loudly professed that it was a waste of time as the stumps would be all over the place again in a minute, everyone laughed, including the batsman, who went on to get a few runs.

The next game, in the exact same situation I recycled the joke, and got the reply 'Your teeth will be all over the place', needless to say he was clean bowled first ball, and gave me a barrage of abuse when i suggested he could come back and I would ask the bowler to bowl underarm.

moral of the story - don't be a dick.

Also, when im batting I try and try and try not to get involved at all, unless you are good enough to bat all day and not get out, then you never win. To just smile or stare someone down seems to be enough to wind up the opposition. Ive also found when things are getting heated, just hovering your bat out of your crease results in an untold number of overthrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I'm patient, because like Britney Spears and McDonalds - even ****ty american poo still catches on.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
    Ridiculous.
    Nah, not with Ice-Hockey being the best sport ever and all that, wish you could deck the crap out of each other like that in field-hockey, would be immense.

This fight is better anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Teri maa ki

Harbhajan Singh to Andrew Symonds.
    No need for that.

Just look up Afridi v Ghambir, for that, hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Nah, not with Ice-Hockey being the best sport ever and all that, wish you could deck the crap out of each other like that in field-hockey, would be immense.

Yea it is - I posted the other one cause it involved the flyers. That was so great, would love to see that in cricket. People would shut the hell up for one.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post

Haha yes. Get the feeling they are giving half of what they've got to balancing themselves.

If it happened in cricket it will be even more ridiculous. The two batsmen in the middle will murder the entire fielding side.
    Last edited by chicane; 20-04-2010 at 06:34 PM.

There is a code, you don't fight with sticks. You only fight other enforcers. You don't fight at the beginning of the shift because waiting until he is tired is unfair. The refs will allow it in the NHL as long as certain unwritten rules are met.

YouTube - Best Fight Ever Recorded

Of course, in Harbhajan vs. Symmo, this would happen, but it'd be worth it still. And Bhajji would keep his mouth shut next time.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 20-04-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information