Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70

Thread: Classic sledges

  1. #16
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    It was actually, "No, your mother should have."
    Copy and paste off a website, etc.

  2. #17
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Ones involving Merv: This time from an person who is now known to sledge.

    1989, Brisbane, where Merv tried to test de Silva with the bouncer, and to see that ball disappearing to the sqaure leg boundry. Then he tried to test him by other means and said "****ing midgets should not be allowed to play". De Silva, usually deadly quiet guy, walked passed Merv and asid "But, Merv, midgets do have larger brains (than you)"
    Dunno about that but you might find this one pretty funny, mate.

    YouTube - Kumar Sledgering - Hiliarious

  3. #18
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    That's pretty lame though Migara.

    Classic:
    YouTube - Freddie Flintoff Sledges the West Indies (Cricket)
    Meh, I like it because it's not one of those ones that appears every time a sledge gets mentioned!

  4. #19
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,853
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Dunno about that but you might find this one pretty funny, mate.

    YouTube - Kumar Sledgering - Hiliarious
    Quite like that video tbh. Mainly the end that does it for me and the way he says it (42 million supporters, right here, depending on Shaun!), but also because Sanga seems such a good bloke that you can't imagine him saying anything worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.


  5. #20
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Ones involving Merv: This time from an person who is now known to sledge.

    1989, Brisbane, where Merv tried to test de Silva with the bouncer, and to see that ball disappearing to the sqaure leg boundry. Then he tried to test him by other means and said "****ing midgets should not be allowed to play". De Silva, usually deadly quiet guy, walked passed Merv and asid "But, Merv, midgets do have larger brains (than you)"
    Not very funny to be honest.

  6. #21
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,953
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Quite like that video tbh. Mainly the end that does it for me and the way he says it (42 million supporters, right here, depending on Shaun!), but also because Sanga seems such a good bloke that you can't imagine him saying anything worse.
    I like it because that's what sledging should be. Pollock's come to the wicket, Sanga's indulged in a little bit of chat that's heaped the pressure right onto Pollock.

    If Sanga had welcomed Pollock to the wicket with "alright you useless ginger ****, your team is **** and so is your mother in bed" I'd regard that as abuse, not sledging.

    edit: the Flintoff video linked above gives 2 great examples of proper sledging as well. The first one he just shuts Bravo up brilliantly, the second one he gets Tino Best to play a ridiculous shot and throw his wicket away - Flintoff's reaction to the stumping said it all.
    Last edited by Furball; 19-04-2010 at 07:29 AM.

  7. #22
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    That's pretty lame though Migara.

    Classic:
    YouTube - Freddie Flintoff Sledges the West Indies (Cricket)
    Haha. love Flintoff. I still don't get what's so funny about the "Mind the windows, Tino!" line though.

  8. #23
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Dunno about that but you might find this one pretty funny, mate.

    YouTube - Kumar Sledgering - Hiliarious
    The faux "Sarth Efrican" accent is what makes this one classic.

  9. #24
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,953
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Haha. love Flintoff. I still don't get what's so funny about the "Mind the windows, Tino!" line though.
    Because Tino Best reacted to it by attempting to charge down the wicket to Giles and hit the ball out the ground, missed and got stumped.

  10. #25
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,853
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Because Tino Best reacted to it by attempting to charge down the wicket to Giles and hit the ball out the ground, missed and got stumped.
    Yeah, but I assume from the sledge that he'd been trying to do that before. And it's hardly unlike a tailender to have a swing...

  11. #26
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Ah, OK, got it.

  12. #27
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,953
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Yeah, but I assume from the sledge that he'd been trying to do that before. And it's hardly unlike a tailender to have a swing...
    Can't remember the specifics, scorecard suggests that it was unlikely though:

    1st Test: England v West Indies at Lord's, Jul 22-26, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

  13. #28
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,934
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I like it because that's what sledging should be. Pollock's come to the wicket, Sanga's indulged in a little bit of chat that's heaped the pressure right onto Pollock.

    If Sanga had welcomed Pollock to the wicket with "alright you useless ginger ****, your team is **** and so is your mother in bed" I'd regard that as abuse, not sledging.

    edit: the Flintoff video linked above gives 2 great examples of proper sledging as well. The first one he just shuts Bravo up brilliantly, the second one he gets Tino Best to play a ridiculous shot and throw his wicket away - Flintoff's reaction to the stumping said it all.
    Yeah AWTA completely.

  14. #29
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,400
    Best sledges are undoubtedly the non-peronsally abusive ones which cause your opponent to make a catastrophic error. I love perpetrating them, frankly. But I never, ever do unless provoked.

    And of course they don't always work, which is what makes them so great in the first.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  15. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Best sledges are undoubtedly the non-peronsally abusive ones which cause your opponent to make a catastrophic error. I love perpetrating them, frankly. But I never, ever do unless provoked.

    And of course they don't always work, which is what makes them so great in the first.
    This. Also it is hugely subjective what is personal or not depending on various things like the guy's culture, upbringing etc.

    Which is why am opposed to any kind of talk in international matches. The symmo-Bhajji episod is perfect example. Although I don't agree with 'teri ma ki' either, as it is so foul mouthed that you don't expect to get away with it without a thrashing in a street in india.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-04-2006, 11:43 PM
  2. Clever/Amusing Sledges you have heard while playing
    By Clarence in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 13-01-2006, 07:56 AM
  3. Classic Moments so far Season
    By cricket player in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 06:59 AM
  4. best sledges
    By deeps in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 30-03-2004, 02:05 AM
  5. Play Classic Matches : Cricket 2002
    By ankitnahar007 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-08-2002, 02:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •