• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Lara make a test comeback?

Should Lara make a test comeback?

• Total voters

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would he want to?

He doesn't need test cricket but West Indies need him though i doubt there is any chance at all of him coming back.They may as well ask Curtley and Courtney while they are at it.:laugh:

Craig

World Traveller
It's almost certain players like Darren Bravo and Kraigg Brathwaite will be playing Test cricket inside the next 12 months, 18 months at worse, as word on the street is, that the latter is a bit special. Plus there is Barath.

So no, he shouldn't comeback, not sure what he would gain from it.

shivfan

Banned
Much as I enjoyed watching Lara bat, I don't think he should return to Test cricket....

I was also against Michael Schumacher returning to Formula One, for the same reasons. They are older now, and their reflexes are slower.

Add to that the fact that Lara was never a great one for training, much like Sobers. I read an autobiography by Clive Lloyd, where he pointed out that Sobers' lack of training contributed to his decline in later years. Lloyd posed the question: imagine how good Sobers would have been if he'd taken training seriously?

The same could be said for Lara. I don't think he's in any condition to play Test cricket now, and we'd be living on past glories.

As for Lara being shown the door, to me he seems to have left on his own volition. Indications were that the WICB were going to take the captaincy away from him after the World Cup, which they needed to do, because under his leadership, the WI were a dispirited bunch. His actual place in the side was not under threat. However, he chose to retire, and he wasn't pushed....

Now, if he chooses to come back, who would he replace in this likely Test batting lineup for the first Test against South Africa?

1) Chris Gayle
2) Adrian Barath
3) Ramnaresh Sarwan
4) Shiv Chanderpaul
5) Brendan Nash
6) Narsing Deonarine
7) Dwayne Bravo
8) Denesh Ramdin

To me, Lara would first have to prove his fitness by playing a season for Trinidad, before becoming eligible for the West Indies, much the same way Marlon Samuels would have to play a season for Jamaica before we talk about him getting back into the WI side....

morgieb

Too old. Plus it'd be a backwards step for the WIndies. It's like saying that Warne should come out of retirement.

vcs

cricinfo has an interview with him where he says he's looking for an IPL contract/mentoring role next season. Another reason to endure the "DLF Maximums" and "Citi Moments of Success", then.

smash84

The Tiger King
Definitely not. I'm a huge fan of Lara and I dont want to see it all ruined by some "comeback". When he left the game, he left on a high and with everyone praising his name and achievements. He has nothing left to prove.
Precisely, a comeback at this stage would benefit neither him nor the West Indies team.
Should he come back? No. Period.

kingkallis

International Coach
cricinfo has an interview with him where he says he's looking for an IPL contract/mentoring role next season. Another reason to endure the "DLF Maximums" and "Citi Moments of Success", then.
Lalit Modi talked Lara into it in last IPL. It will be interesting to see how he plays as Lara was all about quick feet movement and amazing reflexes.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Will have to wait for his performance in this county league. His last experience in the t20 arena with the icl was disastrous to say the least

tooextracool

International Coach
If you ask me, WI got rid of him at a time when they needed him and when he was still able to offer something to them at the international level. However, now that they've done the hard yards and are actually starting to piece together a fairly capable outfit, this would be a real backward and unnecessary step that will hurt them. As has been pointed out, I dont think he'd want to play for WI anyways.

vcs

He has no plans of any international comeback, I just bumped this thread to talk about his intention to play in the IPL. Apologies for any confusion.

morgieb

Bring Gilchrist, McGrath, Hayden, Pollock, Rhodes, de Silva back to cricket too, why just Lara?
de Silva's 45, and Rhodes hasn't played cricket for like 7 years. Yeah, should totally make comebacks.

As well, Gilly and Hayden play as much cricket as Lara's suggesting - in the IPL.