• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Relatives

aussie tragic

International Captain
I’ve just noticed that Australia has some good young players who are related to test cricketers....so I thought I’d ask which players around the World have the most potential to match or even exceed the efforts of their Test Cricket relatives:

Some Aussie candidates...

Mitchell Marsh (18)
Alister McDermott (18)
James Pattinson (19)
Alyssa Healy (20)
Shaun Marsh (26)
Ben Laughlin (27)

stumpski

International Captain
I would say Stuart Broad, but after 3 years in the England side he's hardly an 'emerging' player.

I'll leave it to Zaremba to talk up the potential of Joe Gatting. :)

stumpski

International Captain
Interestingly, there don't seem to be as many sons of former players in county cricket nowadays. In the 80s/early 90s you could put a pretty good team together with the likes of Alec Stewart, Mark Butcher, Graham Lloyd, Mark Ealham and Bobby Parks - you'd have a job to do it now. Not sure why that is except for the greater preponderance of overseas-born players tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I believe Jonathan Trott is somehow related to Albert Trott, one of the few players to appear in tests for both England & Oz. Needs to kick on from here to eclipse his famous antecedent tho.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yuvraj singh has already surpassed his father comfortably who played on test match only.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I see Jonathon Bairstow (20) is a promising player for Yorkshire as WK...(his Dad was England WK in 4 Test between 1979-81)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ummm, Nick Compton (26) is the Grandson of the legendary Denis Compton and he has 3 other relatives who played FC cricket...his List A record of 1525 runs @ 40.13 looks pretty good...any reason why he hasn't played for England in ODI?

...maybe it was because he was born in South Africa and they already have too many of those :ph34r:

stumpski

International Captain
Compton has been a bit inconsistent tbh. Saw him hit a 100 at Canterbury and there's no doubt he can play, but he hasn't really kicked on. Born in South Africa certainly, but he's been here since his early teens as far as I know.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Latham did OK for the NZ under-19s in the recent world cup - should be better than his rugby-and-cricket playing father, Rod.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Do you think it is just genetics that makes the sons of former internationals good. Or do you think their Dad's give them special coaching.

stumpski

International Captain
Bit of both, probably - but the genes aren't always passed on. Walter Hammond's son had a trial for Gloucs without showing any aptitude for the game, WG Grace jnr and Mali Richards were clearly not good enough for first-class cricket and John Bradman turned his back on the game altogether in the search for a separate identity.

stumpski

International Captain
I see Jonathon Bairstow (20) is a promising player for Yorkshire as WK...(his Dad was England WK in 4 Test between 1979-81)
And his older brother (half-brother?) Andrew kept for a few games for Derbyshire in the 90s - but Jon looks as if he could have a real future in the game.

Dydl

International Debutant
Do you think it is just genetics that makes the sons of former internationals good. Or do you think their Dad's give them special coaching.
Minor point, but it's not just sons, it's daughters, nieces and nephews and all that too.

I think that there'd be some genetics involved; just general athletic ability, mainly, and that it would be down to learning the skills at a young age so that the basics become second nature a lot earlier, and progressing to improving and refining skills earlier as well. The love of the game from their relatives would probably help in getting them into the game earlier as well. I know that Alyssa Healy's always said that Ian helped her out with technique stuff and just anything if she needed it, so there is always the influence of the relatives, but I think it mainly comes down to the individual inheriting the love of the game at a young age, and progressing from there.

stumpski

International Captain
Again, not a young player, but Ryan Sidebottom should be mentioned in this company.

Has obviously achieved far more than his old man did in Tests, but still about 150 behind on first-class wickets.