• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I a better Batsman than Chris Martin?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I averaged about 18 in the local league last season with a top score of 60. Every team has 1 pro including a few ODI players. In a 20/20 cup match last year I blasted 27 from 10 balls.

What do you think?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. Except that in your first few Test innings against serious pace bowling you'd struggle more than he would, because he's used to it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I averaged about 18 in the local league last season with a top score of 60. Every team has 1 pro including a few ODI players. In a 20/20 cup match last year I blasted 27 from 10 balls.

What do you think?
I reckon you'd probably have more success in your competition than he would if he turned out in it, but I'd probably back him to survive a full, straight ball from a Test bowler a little more than you.. at first anyway.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, you aren't as good as Chris Martin, but I suspect you've got a better technique than Matthew Hayden. At least if CricketWeb is to be believed.

Pothas

Better first chance average than Trescothick as well and obivously better on a seaming wicket than Sehwag,

andyc

Willing to bet he'll finish his career with more international runs than you will, just quietly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

What do you think?
At first you may not look dissimilar to him at the crease and be about as effective. But after as many innings' at that level as what he's had, and regulary chances to practice against net bowlers, etc. You'd definitely be better than him.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I must admit that my 18 average was propped up by a few not outs (batting at 7 in limited overs cricket does that) and my 60 was against our own 3rd XI (still a league match though) whose chief strike bowler is renowned for necking a pint of Stella during refreshments but thanks for the support guys :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
CW has gone from everyone fighting each other to everyone being smartasses about the fact people fight.

It's not any better doing the latter.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If I had taken cricket seriously played it at a top level regularly I am quite sure my batting would be an exact replica of James Anderson both in terms of skill and style.

HeathDavisSpeed

and that has what to do with this thread exactly?

Cut out the trolling.
CW has gone from everyone fighting each other to everyone being smartasses about the fact people fight.

It's not any better doing the latter.
You know what guys, I'd normally agree with you, but surely this is a lighthearted thread. Its hardly as if we can give a critical appraisal of his technique versus that of Chris Martin. I reckon some of the problems we've had here recently are because people are taking things too seriously and too much to heart; and as soon as someone makes a little gag (at no one's offense) in cricket chat, they're leapt upon.

It would be a pretty sad day if we couldn't have a laugh at each other or ourselves. Today, I played indoor cricket for the first time in a while and got smacked in the knackers by the cricket ball bowled by a quicky. You'd think an indoor cricket ball wouldn't hurt, but no it shattered the box I was wearing and I was walking around in the field like a crab (not much change there these days) for the rest of the game, and I've had the enjoyable task of picking bits of plastic out of my pubic hair for the rest of the evening. So, you know what, when I open a thread about comparing one's technique and ability with Chris Martin, I would quite like to see a few things that'd make me laugh.

And, for the record, I suspect Chris Martin is a better bat than I.

Spark

Global Moderator
You know what guys, I'd normally agree with you, but surely this is a lighthearted thread. Its hardly as if we can give a critical appraisal of his technique versus that of Chris Martin. I reckon some of the problems we've had here recently are because people are taking things too seriously and too much to heart; and as soon as someone makes a little gag (at no one's offense) in cricket chat, they're leapt upon.

It would be a pretty sad day if we couldn't have a laugh at each other or ourselves. Today, I played indoor cricket for the first time in a while and got smacked in the knackers by the cricket ball bowled by a quicky. You'd think an indoor cricket ball wouldn't hurt, but no it shattered the box I was wearing and I was walking around in the field like a crab (not much change there these days) for the rest of the game, and I've had the enjoyable task of picking bits of plastic out of my pubic hair for the rest of the evening. So, you know what, when I open a thread about comparing one's technique and ability with Chris Martin, I would quite like to see a few things that'd make me laugh.

And, for the record, I suspect Chris Martin is a better bat than I.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: