• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag - Wisden's leading cricketer of the year 2009

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Opening the batting and averaging 70 with a strike rate of 108 in Tests is absolutely phenomenal.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hats off..to the most talented strokeplayer I have ever seen.
Here's to more consistency and many more awards!

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
people overrate him all the time:

This were his figures in 2009, other then 2 innnings he scored on dead pitches against sri lanka, i really dont see why would he be considered leading cricketer of the year

24 DNB v New Zealand Hamilton 18 Mar 2009 Test # 1915
34 22 v New Zealand Napier 26 Mar 2009 Test # 1917
48 12 v New Zealand Wellington 3 Apr 2009 Test # 1918
16 51 v Sri Lanka Ahmedabad 16 Nov 2009 Test # 1933
131 - v Sri Lanka Kanpur 24 Nov 2009 Test # 1935
293 - v Sri Lanka Mumbai (BS) 2 Dec 2009 Test # 1937

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
flat track bully with an inflated average. dont see the hype
Yawn. If you're joking, surely you've got better material than that, and if you are being serious, there's no way it's going to contribute constructively to the thread at all. Either way, it's not needed.

Anywho, SehWAG. Such a gun, can't think of anyone else who would've deserved it more over the last year, and even one or two more beyond that.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
people overrate him all the time:

This were his figures in 2009, other then 2 innnings he scored on dead pitches against sri lanka, i really dont see why would he be considered leading cricketer of the year

24 DNB v New Zealand Hamilton 18 Mar 2009 Test # 1915
34 22 v New Zealand Napier 26 Mar 2009 Test # 1917
48 12 v New Zealand Wellington 3 Apr 2009 Test # 1918
16 51 v Sri Lanka Ahmedabad 16 Nov 2009 Test # 1933
131 - v Sri Lanka Kanpur 24 Nov 2009 Test # 1935
293 - v Sri Lanka Mumbai (BS) 2 Dec 2009 Test # 1937
Talking in the context of this year, doing well on flat tracks does not directly translate to doing FA in seaming/turning tracks. Considering a majority of tracks are batting-friendly today, Sehwag is a product of our times.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well Deserved. Sehwag is once in a generation Player. He does something that noone else does in this era. Absolutely delighted with this.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not going to direct this at anyone in particular, I'll just say that it would be lovely if just one congratulatory thread stayed positive toward the cricketer in question. Of course everyone is allowed their own opinion and some will disagree with this particular decision by Wisden, but it would be great even those who do could express their viewpoint without denigrating the qualities and achievements of Sehwag.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not going to direct this at anyone in particular, I'll just say that it would be lovely if just one congratulatory thread stayed positive toward the cricketer in question. Of course everyone is allowed their own opinion and some will disagree with this particular decision by Wisden, but it would be great even those who do could express their viewpoint without denigrating the qualities and achievements of Sehwag.
Unfortunately this is the internet and such things rarely occur :dry:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I don’t think the award could’ve gone to a more deserving player of 2009. Sehwag has been pure awesomeness.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
why can't we disagree? i mean i think Sachin actually had better consistent year then him