Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sehwag - Wisden's leading cricketer of the year 2009

Good post, KP. I didn't know about that 356. And the 9 centuries before lunch is darned impressive.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Thanks a lot =]

I heard about the 356 a little while back, and it sounds like one heck of an innings. I've heard stories of him hitting the ball exactly where he wanted to, and was just playing with the opposing captain. At 1 stage, I believe Tony Lock was bowling with a massively leg-side heavy field, bowling down the leg-side, yet Barry was still finding a way to cream the ball through and over cover for boundaries. 356 from 381 balls really is a magnificent effort, at Perth against that attack, it's as impressive, if not more-so, than any of Sehwags quickfire triple centuries (not to take anything away from those innings' of course). I actually read an article earlier that did a great comparison between that Richards' innings, and Bradman's 334 at Leeds:

"I have always liked to use a particular innings of each player as a measuring stick of just how similar their talents were. These were innings in which each of them scored 300 runs in a day. Bradman's was scored at Leeds in 1930 in a Test against England when Bradman was a 22-year-old prodigy.

Richards' was scored at perth in 1970, in a sheffield shield match between South Australia and Western Australia. Bradman went in eight minutes after the start of play at the fall of Archie Jackson's wicket, finished the day on 309 not out and was out next morning for 334. Richard opened up, ended the day on 325 not out, and was eventually out for 356".

"Bradman took 375 minutes to hit his 334 and hit 46 boundaries. Richards hit his 356 in 372 minutes. He found the boundary rope 48 times, and hit a six as well. It takes batsmen of rare quality to play like that. Neither player managed a century in each session in topping the 300.
    Bradman hit 105 before lunch, 115 in the session between lunch and tea, and 89 in the final period when weariness was catching up with him. Richards hit 79 in the first session, 137 in the next and 109 in the last".

Both Bradman and Richards made these blistering triple centuries against very strong bowling attacks."

Link
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 16-04-2010 at 02:06 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It was if he was playing for your team...
    Haha, indeed. While I admit I am a little bit biased against the bludgeoning style of Hayden, or the lead-for-feet style of Sehwag, you can't their immense value.

I would have loved to see a Hayden-Sehwag opening partnership.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International 12th Man
    Hayden's straight drives down the ground were as stylish as they come.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Hayden's straight drives down the ground were as stylish as they come.
    Not relevant in a thread about Sehwag.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Not relevant in a thread about Sehwag.
    People were talking about the styles of Hayden, Smith and Sehwag. Pretty relevant.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information