• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag - Wisden's leading cricketer of the year 2009

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree because you can show that someone else was a more influential cricketer in 2009. Not because "he's a flat track bully" or whatever.

You didn't even disagree with it, you just regurgitated a lazy argument that has been offered up throughout CC in recent times to disparage Sehwag.
Mine was a poorly made joke admittedly - Mostly a useless post. If Sean was only referring to me then fair enough, but its a forum so people are going to undoubtedly question the achievements of cricketers.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Mine was a poorly made joke admittedly - Mostly a useless post. If Sean was only referring to me then fair enough, but its a forum so people are going to undoubtedly question the achievements of cricketers.
Missed my point, and I wasn't just referring to you. I said I don't mind people disagreeing, it just annoys me that it invariably ends with players being denigrated rather than celebrated. My comment was a bit preachy and soap-boxy though, I'll admit. :)

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hayden's S/R is what you'd call good, positive cricket. Sehwag's is bordering on maniacal, yet successful.
"The great thing about Matthew Hayden was that he redefined what an opening batsman was. He changed the face of Test-match batting for ever. His real legacy will be changing the way cricket was played. He always tried to dominate and went after the opening bowlers in the first session." - Steve Waugh

'He changed the face of batting for ever' | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

L Trumper

State Regular
"The great thing about Matthew Hayden was that he redefined what an opening batsman was. He changed the face of Test-match batting for ever. His real legacy will be changing the way cricket was played. He always tried to dominate and went after the opening bowlers in the first session." - Steve Waugh

'He changed the face of batting for ever' | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com
Its haydo's retirement ceremony. So Waugh got a little overboard there.

Changed the way of opening batting?? :ph34r:

I wonder what slater did during the 90's? :huh: Isn't he the guy that started attacking brand of cricket that AUS under taylor are famous for, which later followed successfully.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Its haydo's retirement ceremony. So Waugh got a little overboard there.

Changed the way of opening batting?? :ph34r:

I wonder what slater did during the 90's? :huh: Isn't he the guy that started attacking brand of cricket that AUS under taylor are famous for, which later followed successfully.
Waugh didn't get a little overboard, he always believed in Hayden and believed that he could be one of the best.

Slater was moreso a positive player then anything else, who played his shots rather then bludgening the ball. Had he never experienced health problems in the late 90s / early 00s then Slater could've quite possibly gone on to become one of the best batsman of alltime.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sigh. Is this discussion really necessary in a thread about Sehwag?

So obvious, yet so good. Can't believe we've missed it for so long. Played andy.
Haha, pretty sure I've seen it on here before.

L Trumper

State Regular
Waugh didn't get a little overboard, he always believed in Hayden and believed that he could be one of the best.

Slater was moreso a positive player then anything else, who played his shots rather then bludgening the ball. Had he never experienced health problems in the late 90s / early 00s then Slater could've quite possibly gone on to become one of the best batsman of alltime.
He said Langer is the best batsman in the world too, in 2000. As a captain he believed in all his players.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to Sehwag. As for the mini-discussion re Hayden; well he certainly was domineering. In a different sense though. While Hayden was a pretty fast scorer himself when he wanted to be; he does not touch Sehwag. On the other hand, Hayden intimidated bowlers but not really by the speed of scoring.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Congrats to Sehwag. As for the mini-discussion re Hayden; well he certainly was domineering. In a different sense though. While Hayden was a pretty fast scorer himself when he wanted to be; he does not touch Sehwag. On the other hand, Hayden intimidated bowlers but not really by the speed of scoring.
The difference was that Hayden was a calculating assassin whilst Sehwag was a batsman who went after absolutely everything. Hayden had an aura about him whilst with Sehwag you always thought you had a chance.

Xuhaib

International Coach
The difference was that Hayden was a calculating assassin whilst Sehwag was a batsman who went after absolutely everything. Hayden had an aura about him whilst with Sehwag you always thought you had a chance.
tell this to Murali,Hearath,Mendis,Steyn,Morkal,Shoaib,Kaneria,Anderson,Flintoff.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Oh, okay. Thankfully, this thread isn't about who you would pick instead of another for tests.:)