• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag - Wisden's leading cricketer of the year 2009

people overrate him all the time:

This were his figures in 2009, other then 2 innnings he scored on dead pitches against sri lanka, i really dont see why would he be considered leading cricketer of the year

24 DNB v New Zealand Hamilton 18 Mar 2009 Test # 1915
34 22 v New Zealand Napier 26 Mar 2009 Test # 1917
48 12 v New Zealand Wellington 3 Apr 2009 Test # 1918
16 51 v Sri Lanka Ahmedabad 16 Nov 2009 Test # 1933
131 - v Sri Lanka Kanpur 24 Nov 2009 Test # 1935
293 - v Sri Lanka Mumbai (BS) 2 Dec 2009 Test # 1937
The pitches in NZ last year when India toured were flat too.Gambhir scored a bucket load of runs in that series......he scored a century in SA against SA on debut..some so called great batsmen have not scored a single century against SA let alone in SA.The man scored 300 runs almost in a day by himself...some great teams huff and puff to 200 in a day....stop trying to derail every thread with your nonsense.

Sir Alex

Banned
Surely this is a joke?

600 runs in a year can get you one of these awards?

I am a huge huge huge fan of sehwag but his 09 performances aren't enough to get this.

How about a certain Til Dilshan with 1158 runs @ 61 and SR 83? 6 hundreds in that as well.

He didn't play on 'flatter' pitches than sehwag surely!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Surely this is a joke?

600 runs in a year can get you one of these awards?

I am a huge huge huge fan of sehwag but his 09 performances aren't enough to get this.

How about a certain Til Dilshan with 1158 runs @ 61 and SR 83? 6 hundreds in that as well.

He didn't play on 'flatter' pitches than sehwag surely!
800+ runs at an average of 44 and a SR of 140 odd helps as well.

It's not how many he's scored, it's how he's scored them. He's won Tests for India by scoring his runs so quickly.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

It's not how many he's scored, it's how he's scored them. He's won Tests for India by scoring his runs so quickly.
Yeah, argument from Wisden :-

Tillakaratne Dilshan was the other main nominee. His case rests more on limited-overs than on Test cricket: if we deduct the Chittagong Test, in which he scored two hundreds, he averaged 52.80 last year, and did not make the Wisden Test XI as he gained only one of the three selectors' votes. Superb in his hand-eye co-ordination, Dilshan came ever closer to Sehwag in his approach as he was promoted to open the batting for Sri Lanka in all three formats, without ever surpassing the trendsetter. He scored more runs in Twenty20 internationals than anybody else last year (471), although none inthe World Twenty20 final at Lord's. He can be credited with popularising the scoop on bended knee over the shoulder, but not its invention.
Sehwag has to be first on the team-sheet to represent the World, whatever the game's format. He would take on the Martians, however hostile and alien their attack, disrupting their lines and wavelengths; and, if he succeeded, as he normally does, he would make life so much easier for those who followed.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Comparing Sehwag to Bradman again!

For anyone who likes contrived statistics Sehwag has overtaken the Don this year by one measure of what is "Bradmanesque"

If you look at the mean (as opposed to average, so no red ink in this exercise) of each man's three figure scores Bradman's is around 185 - Sehwag's is now 189

A well deserved accolade

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
people overrate him all the time:

This were his figures in 2009, other then 2 innnings he scored on dead pitches against sri lanka, i really dont see why would he be considered leading cricketer of the year

24 DNB v New Zealand Hamilton 18 Mar 2009 Test # 1915
34 22 v New Zealand Napier 26 Mar 2009 Test # 1917
48 12 v New Zealand Wellington 3 Apr 2009 Test # 1918
16 51 v Sri Lanka Ahmedabad 16 Nov 2009 Test # 1933
131 - v Sri Lanka Kanpur 24 Nov 2009 Test # 1935
293 - v Sri Lanka Mumbai (BS) 2 Dec 2009 Test # 1937
And India won Both the matches he scored big in. How does it matter if it is flat if it produces a result? And How come Srilanka lost by a innings in both occasions on those same tracks ,if they were so flat?

That's what Sehwag does,put India in a position to win a match on a track on which otherwise their may not be enough time to do so.And added to that he makes many tracks that are not flat look flat.

Sir Alex

Banned

My bad. I read it as leading test cricketer somehow!

Well combining one days, he indeed has a case.

I don't know what weightage they assigned to tests, one days and t20s while determining it.

But for me, TilDil just pips than sehwag in tests and t20s.

Sehwag better than tilDil in one days.
Of course these are only for 09.
Also I don't subscribe to concept of batsmen winning test matches singlehandely. But I don't wish to turn this to that debate.

However being a fan, am chuffed about this.

Last edited:

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Great decision. Sehwag is a player who will inspire a generation of batsman at the top of the order to go after the bowling from ball 1. He has probably changed the game of cricket forever.

Congrats

R_D

International Debutant
Congrats to Sehwag... Well deserved.
He has been great since his return and phenomnal in past year and half in all format of the game....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not going to direct this at anyone in particular, I'll just say that it would be lovely if just one congratulatory thread stayed positive toward the cricketer in question. Of course everyone is allowed their own opinion and some will disagree with this particular decision by Wisden, but it would be great even those who do could express their viewpoint without denigrating the qualities and achievements of Sehwag.
You can't be serious right? Mine might have been a (poor) joke - I was tired ok! - But come on, not everyone has to agree with this and they should rightly say so.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You can't be serious right? Mine might have been a (poor) joke - I was tired ok! - But come on, not everyone has to agree with this and they should rightly say so.
Disagree because you can show that someone else was a more influential cricketer in 2009. Not because "he's a flat track bully" or whatever.

You didn't even disagree with it, you just regurgitated a lazy argument that has been offered up throughout CC in recent times to disparage Sehwag.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Great decision. Sehwag is a player who will inspire a generation of batsman at the top of the order to go after the bowling from ball 1. He has probably changed the game of cricket forever.

Congrats
Jayasuriya did it though Sehwag taken it to another level.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
It's a shame that certain people are using this unbelievable player - an middle order destroyer shunted up the order who then averaged 70 with a strike rate of 108 last year, a player with 3 run a ball scores of 290+ - to try to score points with their cheap, puerile, trolling drivel.