• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dream ODI XI: Choose the last TWO players

Choose TWO allrounders/late middle order finishers/ fifth bowlers for the DREAM ODI X

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
Here are 17 all rounders who averaged more than 20 with the bat and scored 2000+ runs in ODIs while taking 100+ wickets under 40 runs.

All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

I am also including the top runners up from the other polls. Your TWO choices will define the composition of the team.

The team so far is

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Viv Richards
Ponting
Bevan
---
---
Akram
Murali
Garner
McGrath

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Went for a pure batter bowler combo and hence Lara and Hadlee... Certainly think selecting 2 bowling all rounders (say, Klusener and Imran) would be overkill..

bagapath

International Captain
klusener and symonds. average around 40. SR around 90. big hitters. good finishers. handy fifth bowlers. symonds is also a great fielder. both are tailor made for the ODI game. will fit into this team perfectly.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking at the team, it definitely needs another proper batsman who can bowl a bit in there, and then an allrounder. As such have gone for Symonds and Klusener, to give them a bit of late order hitting power, while Klusener should be able to take the 5th bowler duties by himself, and if someone's getting the tonk or the pace needs to be taken off the ball, Symonds can turn his arm over. Was really close to putting in Kallis over Symonds, which would definitely improve the team in the bowling stakes, but given that he's going to be batting so far down the order, I figured Symonds would be more appropriate. Imran also a close shout for number 7 over Klusener.

Himannv

International Coach
Team needed a lower order hitter who could bowl a bit which left me with Klusener or Symonds. Picked Symonds in the end as I think his suitability to this format and the combination the rest of the players in that squad is ideal. Also he provides a useful slow bowling option while he can also bowl pace is the situation requires it. Very useful versatality IMO.

I felt the team also needed a proper fifth bowler who can sort of bat a bit and I dont think there's anyone as accomplished in ODI's as Pollock is in that respect.

So picked Symonds and Pollock from that list. With 5 proper strike bowlers and with the team having much better deapth in batting now I think the squad will be more complete and balanced with those two players.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I consider Kluesner the greatest impact player in the game. Need a quick 40, give Kluesner a bat. Need to remove a building partnership, throw Kluesner the ball. Such a wonderful cricketer and always remained the number one crucial wicket to guarantee victory against South Africa.

The last selection is hard. Selecting Pollock would leave the batting slightly light on. Dhoni deserves selection based on his ability to both hit hard and accumulate, but you can't have a keeper in the field. Hadlee can't bat at 7 in an all-time
team that already has a weak tail. So I have selected Symonds. Without doubt one of the top 10 batsman to play in ODI's. Pretty useful bowler to have as 6th or 7th change. Also the best infielder since possibly Rhodes. Will bat at 6 before Kluesner.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Klusener is a must for me, went for Pollock as the final player although was tossing up between that and Symonds.

Himannv

International Coach
Hope Pollock manages to get it. With a maximum of 10 overs per bowlers, 5 strike bowlers is always going to be a good option. His batting is pretty good as well. In ODI's he's a top notch player and somewhat underrated IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tail is too long so I went for Klusener and Cairns. Was tossing up between Cairns, Pollock and Symonds but I thought the team could use the more rounded allrounder.

stephen

I believe that this side needs batting more than bowling.

Therefore I went for two all rounders who average around 40 and strike around 90 while being able to provide the team with 10 solid overs - Klusener and Symonds.

If we had have picked better batsmen in the tail I would have probably pick Imran over Symonds, but for this team Symonds is a more appropriate pick.

andyc

Tail is too long so I went for Klusener and Cairns. Was tossing up between Cairns, Pollock and Symonds but I thought the team could use the more rounded allrounder.
Was thinking of Cairns myself actually, but figured that with Wasim, McGrath, Murali, Garner and Klusener, a 6th bowler really wouldn't have to be bowling all that much, and like Stephen said, the batting was in need of more of a boost than the bowling ITFP.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Was thinking of Cairns myself actually, but figured that with Wasim, McGrath, Murali, Garner and Klusener, a 6th bowler really wouldn't have to be bowling all that much, and like Stephen said, the batting was in need of more of a boost than the bowling ITFP.
Yeah think I would have favored Symonds if Pollock or Jayasuriya had gotten into the team.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Some hard hitting batsmen, who can bowl a bit is what this team needs, so have gone for Klusener and Symonds

Athlai

Not Terrible
Actually what does everyone think about Afridi getting into the team. Obviously a very respectable bowler and in this team if he ever pulled off that 1 in 10 knack of his to score a super fast 50 they'd be unbeatable.

Think he may be underrated a bit. Still wouldn't have him in the top 4-6 names I'd vote for here though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This was very tough. I've ended up going for Lara and Pollock, 6th bowling option a weakness, but the top 5 bowlers and top 6 batsman are awesome and that's what you would want.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Viv Richards
Ponting
Lara
Bevan
Pollock
Akram
Murali
Garner
McGrath

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Gotta be Symonds and Klusener for mine. Both incredibly powerful batsmen who can bowl. Symonds is also one of the best fielders ever.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Decided to give Kapil a run at 7, with a few lusty blows, and Symonds to bat at 6; the ability to bowl a bit of ordinary spin or pace may not be the worst thing either.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Exactly the same as Jack tbh. Symonds is a triple threat - he's a decent enough sixth bowling option, an amazing batsman and an awesome presence in the field. Kapil Dev is an amazing ODI package - the best of the great 80s allrounders in ODI terms IMO. Check out his average and strike rate, for a player who played in the era he did - insane.