• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best ODI player of all time?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
its surprising that we have never discussed this, who is the best player all time in ODI's? i am talking about over all player, not best batsmen or best bowler.

I would rate Sanath Jayasuriya as the best, i mean a guy with over 10000 runs and 300 wickets and a great feilder, this guy is a legend in ODI's, espeically the way he changed batting in ODi's in 1996.

Who else do you think?

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kallis for me. He might not score runs as fast as Sanath but he has signifcantly better batting average and much better bowling average.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It's difficult to go past Jayasuriya and Richards.

Richrads the better batsman, Jaya the better bowler. Equal in the fielding brilliance, equal with their captaincy as well. Jaya has a better record for conduct.

Very difficult to seperate these two, but my national bias says it is Jayasuriya!

I would say Jayasuriya with 12k runs and 373 wickets - that is just incredible.Kallis is also worth a mention as is Richards.Maybe even Tendulkar with 17k runs and 150 wickets.Afridi's name should not be anywhere in this discussion - he is a decent player once in a blue moon but overall below average.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I would say Jayasuriya with 12k runs and 373 wickets - that is just incredible.Kallis is also worth a mention as is Richards.Maybe even Tendulkar with 17k runs and 150 wickets.Afridi's name should not be anywhere in this discussion - he is a decent player once in a blue moon but overall below average.
One of the best odi spinners currently.

I personally feel not much seperates Yuvraj and Afridi as Odi cricketers.

gvenkat

State Captain
its surprising that we have never discussed this, who is the best player all time in ODI's? i am talking about over all player, not best batsmen or best bowler.

I would rate Sanath Jayasuriya as the best, i mean a guy with over 10000 runs and 300 wickets and a great feilder, this guy is a legend in ODI's, espeically the way he changed batting in ODi's in 1996.

Who else do you think?
I would say Glenn McGrath. He won the Aussies not one but three world cups. He was hard to getaway, as economical as ever. Jayasuriya would be second IMO

One of the best odi spinners currently.

I personally feel not much seperates Yuvraj and Afridi as Odi cricketers.

Yuvraj is not close to making thhe greatest ODI player here but the thing with Yuvraj is that he is at least a very good ODI batsman and a part time bowler.Afridi is neither a very good bowler..at least not over his career..nor a good batsman.James Hopes has comparable stats to Afridi if stats are what you are looking at.....

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yuvraj is not close to making thhe greatest ODI player here but the thing with Yuvraj is that he is at least a very good ODI batsman and a part time bowler.Afridi is neither a very good bowler..at least not over his career..nor a good batsman.James Hopes has comparable stats to Afridi if stats are what you are looking at.....
yes he is atleast for the past 3-4 years comparing Afridi to Hopes is like comparing Pathan and Flintoff just on stats.

ripper868

International Coach
Bevan, Gilchrist, McGrath, Rhodes, Jayasuriya, Tendulkar, Ponting, Pollock, Kallis, Warne, Richards

yes he is atleast for the past 3-4 years comparing Afridi to Hopes is like comparing Pathan and Flintoff just on stats.
3-4 years is really pushing it...my point basically is that when you look back at his career you will find that he was never a good batsman or bowler for a significant period of time and his overall averages reflect that.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Afridi's bowling as of late has been phenomenal. His 6fer against Australia last year was just as bout as good of spin bowling that I've ever seen in ODI cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Out of curiosity, what would Sanath's 2 best years be overall statistically? We do it for Botham, Imran etc. often to see how ****ing awesome they were as an allrounder over a short period.

Anyone know when Sanath peaked overall as a ODI cricketer? He's been playing so long it's all mashed into one.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Reckon the all-rounders are always going to more value as 'best player', so Pollock or Dhoni are good bets for me.