• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would You Go Along To A Neutral Test Match?

Would you attend a neutral test match between two top 8 nations in your country/city?

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
With the Pakistan vs Australia series coming up, and being played in England, I was wondering who would head along to watch a neutral Test match being played in their country.

For me, I'd nearly definitely go. Although this has to do with my MCC membership which allows me free entry. Otherwise, I'm not sure - I'd probably head along at a reduced price, less than $15.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah certainly. Heading up to the Australia v Pakistan test and Headingley and I can't wait. Not only is the standard of cricket likely to be really high (and I love watching cricket anyway), the atmosphere is going to be awesome.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
See, that'd be one of the big drawbacks here. I can't imagine how the atmosphere would be awesome, especially at the 'G with such a big potential capacity. Would just seem empty and quiet, almost like a Shield game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When is this series on, out of interest? Early summer or late (in as much as there is a summer there)?

Answer to the question for me would be a definite yes, if I was interested in seeing the two sides playing.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well there are loads of Pakistanis that live in Leeds and Bradford and they are almost universally massive cricket fans. Whenever Pakistan tour the games always sell out and all of the English supporters would love to go and watch Australia anyway (despite them all being ****s), so I have no doubt that it will sell out. Headingley is pretty small, has a capacity of 20,000 tops at a guess, so it's got a pretty closed feel about it.

Uppercut

There is no other kind of test match :(.

So yeah, I would and often do. Very much enjoy it too.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
I used to enjoy watching the neutral game in the old triangular one day series in Australia. You could just watch and enjoy the game without caring who won or lost. Sometimes the best games were the games between the two visiting countries.

I remember as a kid buying cheap tickets and then sneaking up into the Churchill/Brewongle at the SCG at an ODI where Australia wasnt playing.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a neutral test match as such, but I went to England vs Sri Lanka at Lords in 2002. I was a neutral viewer though and spent most of the day wandering around looking at Lords rather than watching the match as I didn't care too much about the result. Was supporting Sri Lanka over England if pushed of course.

I'd be happy to go and watch a neutral match if it was two teams I enjoyed watching.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I would go, I would expect the tickets to be a little cheaper compared with a match involving your home country.

Also, if the neutral matches were in a league instead of the current rankings I think more people would attend neutral matches.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Cricket is about the only sport where I don't prefer to NOT watch England to be honest. But yes, I would happily go along to a neutral test. Obviously wouldn't have the same atmosphere though, unless there were enough "real" fans, if you will.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep will definetly be going to Pakistan v Australia this year but actually might not go to the England as it is it horrribly expensive.

Watched India v Kenya in an ODI at the rose bowl a few years ago which was fantastic.

Ghana v Nigeria at Griffin Park = best football international ever.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Posts regarding supposed "racism" and its discussion are taking the thread away from its intended topic and have been deleted.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I always used to go to the neutral ODIs they had in Australia for the tri-series when it was around. The crowds were tiny but the cricket was still of great quality.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah I would go, I would expect the tickets to be a little cheaper compared with a match involving your home country.

Also, if the neutral matches were in a league instead of the current rankings I think more people would attend neutral matches.
This sums up my feelings perfectly.

Riggins

International Captain
I think for me it would be the same as watching state cricket, or neutral internationals on tv. I'll go to watch individual players/performances, but wouldn't watch a whole game.