• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sloggers

stumpski

International Captain
Yes, I think someone remarked that it was the first time he'd seen a Test innings opened by two pinch-hitters! :)

'Slogger' though is obviously a fairly derogatory term, especially when applied to someone with pretensions to being a 'proper' batsman - describing the likes of Afridi or Milburn as such is sure to elicit a reaction. The last example I can think of, of someone who gave it everything and didn't care too much where it ended up, would be someone like Lance Cairns. Not in every innings, obviously.

Going back quite a bit further the Australian George Bonnor also used to hit it hard and high.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't really see that criticism so much lately. I used to hear it all the time from cricket's toff brigade in an effort to degrade any remotely aggressive test batsman. Off the top of my head, one test batsman I'd happily describe as a slogger would be Dwayne Smith.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Andrew Flintoff. In his prime, before 2006, he could play all the orthodox shots but somehow, still looked more comfortable in slog mode.