• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar only 55 tests?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Why did Saeed Anwar play only 55 tests, considering he played so many ODI's? he was one of the stylish pakistani batsmen even in test matches, he his fellow player Inzamam played 120 tests.

stumpski

International Captain
I remember that he played a lot of ODIs before he became a Test regular, presumably he was pigeon holed as a one-day player for a while. Who was Pakistan's regular Test opening pair in the early 90s - Sohail and Ramiz Raja?

He made a pair on Test debut as well didn't he - that might have set his chances back a bit.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
How highly is Saeed Anwar regarded by Pakistan fans? Is he a sure-fire choice as opener for your all-time Pakistan Test XI?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Majid Khan also in the frame maybe?

Regarding Anwar, did he drop out for a while after the death of his daughter? Or have I got that completely wrong?

EDIT
Oddly enough cricinfo are carrying the same disucssion today.
http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/455628.html
Following the link to Anwar, yes he did drop out as I remembered. Plus, apparently, he was injury prone.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
How highly is Saeed Anwar regarded by Pakistan fans? Is he a sure-fire choice as opener for your all-time Pakistan Test XI?
Majid and Mohsin Khan would be the only real competition to Hanif and Anwar for the all-time opening slot IMO. Though I, as I suspect most others, would have Hanif and Anwar in my team.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Why did Saeed Anwar play only 55 tests, considering he played so many ODI's? he was one of the stylish pakistani batsmen even in test matches, he his fellow player Inzamam played 120 tests.
Should ask the one in his bed. Oh wait...

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Yep, a pair on his debut and the muddle of Pakistani politics in cricket did indeed limit the chances of a wonderful batsman.

He has played club cricket up here in Lancashire so it's not all bad news for him 8-)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mudassar Nazar?

Made a matchwinning contribution to a Lords test with the ball too
yup the only challenger to Anwar since Hanif is undroppable.

Could bowl useful seam up but I guess a Pakistan all time Xi will hardly use his seam bowling considering the options.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poor old Gavin Hamilton couldn't even manage that - 0, 0 for plenty, 0 catches and to keep up the symmetry 0 in the second innings of his only test