• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most friendly player

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of all the players i've met, two have struck me as being very down to earth people and not being big-headed about their fame as cricketers.

Daniel Vettori - A great person to speak to & doesn't let fame go to his head.

Shane Bond - same as Vettori

Obviously there are others that i've yet to meet but those 2 are good ambassadors for the game.

One guy I do not wish to meet again is Harbhajan Singh..boy does he have a chip on his shoulder. Actually on Monday night he was on a Airport Customs show when India came here in December..he had mud on his shoes & the way he acted was disgraceful, he wanted star treatment and said he never wanted to come back to NZ. But the fact is, is that NZ are way more strict on what ppl bring into the country than in India.

masterblaster

International Captain
When I met Harbhajan back in 1999, he was one of the nicest guys you could meet.

.....but back then he was a nobody.

You can't really form valid personal judgements on meeting a person once, I suppose. It takes a long long time to know someone.

But on meeting these players:

MSK Prasad former Indian Wicketkeeper is a nice guy, same with Sachin Tendulkar and ofcourse Ajit Agarkar is a quiet yet nice bloke.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I should have taped the segment of Harbhajan & sent it to you, cause you would be very surprised.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
when dravid was at kent , i met him a few times, hes a nice approachable bloke. i ve also met david fulton whos well alright as is Nasser Hussain whos pretty cool as well

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, I mean everyone has their off days, when they dont really want to talk to anyone and they just act like morons.

Its only human.

:)

But im not defending Harbhajan at all, as some sort of success may have changed him.

Because when he was a nobody he was a very nice bloke to talk to.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i've never met an international cricketer.:( i imagine the nicest would be ricky ponting.:D who else?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Nice approachable players - Shane Bond & Lou Vincent. Both are always willing for you to go up to them and have a chat and get a photo.

Stephen Fleming is probably the worst within the NZ team. Boy does he get ****ed when you take photos of him.

Yeah I saw that Tim. Boy did Harbhajan make a fool of himself :rolleyes:

Mr. P

fleming? captain fleming. surely he would be the best of the lot. oh well, anyway.

Slats4ever

Definately the Sri Lankan players. These guys are like really pov, so when they come to Australia they love us. We give murali soooo much crap, but he treats some of us so nicely in person. I like murali the best.

Cloete

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
Definately the Sri Lankan players. These guys are like really pov, so when they come to Australia they love us. We give murali soooo much crap, but he treats some of us so nicely in person. I like murali the best.

didn't u get to talk to vaughan? what was he like?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Ganguly is the most arrogant and rude cricketer ive seen on tv.
But saying that alot of the Indian team are like that. Funny considering they cant win a test series away from home :)
At least the Australians can back their **** up :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Herschelle Gibbs - Ive never seen someone so chatty and happy whilst being confrotned by another fifty autograph hunters...

Makhaya Ntini - Like Gibbs seems to be a really happy go lucky guy (although i havent met him)

Murray Goodwin and Neil Johnson

Boeta Dippenaar and Neil McKenzie

Mark Butcher

Allan Donald

Darren Gough

Jonty Rhodes

oh Jimmie Adams let me give him throwdowns which i thought was nice...

Rich2001

International Captain
Dean Headley and pretty much most of the Kent side are happy to chat.

S Waugh has to be one of the most two faced cricketers I've met... He played in a tour match and was a complete git to the fans, yet when he came back as a overseas player for us he was pretty cool.

I heard a pretty shocking thing about C Hooper when he was here at Kent but I have no way of proving it and it will never be admited by either Hooper or Kent so wont spread rumors, but if it is true I will never respect Hooper.

I met Blewy while at work (sorry Blewy = the forum one ;) ) and he was a great guy.

thierry henry

International Coach
This isn't about a player I actually met, but I remember at a New Zealand V Zimbabwe ODI at Eden Park in 97/98 Dirk Viljoen was fielding infront of the terraces, and there was a huge beach-ball/inflatable cricket ball thing being bounced around on the terraces, while security guards were desperately trying to catch it before it distracted the batsmen, or went onto the field or whatever. Anyway, eventually the ball did land on the field, and Viljoen picked it up. The security guards came over to get it off him, and he looked up, started to give the ball to the guard, then turned around and threw it back into the crowd. I will always remember it, because we all started chanting "Viljoen, Viljoen, Viljoen", and it was a great moment, because let's face it, he's hardly a big name. It was probably the biggest ovation he ever got.