• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most friendly player

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Mr. Ponting said:
anyone here met punter?

:D
I have.

Very nice guy, just your typical bloke that you can talk to about anything pretty much.

Oh and I've met Ntini as well, he was very nice as well.

Craig

World Traveller
Sam Loxton gave help with batting when asked. Mind you he was a great mate of Don Bradman and even played with him.

I think Harbhajan is very ungrateful. I'm not surprised that Tendulkar is very nice, becuae I have read dispite his wealth he is very modest and lives in a middle class suburb. How good would it be to grow in the same apartment block that Tendulkar lives in?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
thierry henry said:
This isn't about a player I actually met, but I remember at a New Zealand V Zimbabwe ODI at Eden Park in 97/98 Dirk Viljoen was fielding infront of the terraces, and there was a huge beach-ball/inflatable cricket ball thing being bounced around on the terraces, while security guards were desperately trying to catch it before it distracted the batsmen, or went onto the field or whatever. Anyway, eventually the ball did land on the field, and Viljoen picked it up. The security guards came over to get it off him, and he looked up, started to give the ball to the guard, then turned around and threw it back into the crowd. I will always remember it, because we all started chanting "Viljoen, Viljoen, Viljoen", and it was a great moment, because let's face it, he's hardly a big name. It was probably the biggest ovation he ever got.
:lol: :lol: policemen. will they ever learn?:lol: :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hoggy said:
Very nice guy, just your typical bloke that you can talk to about anything pretty much.
He strikes me as the average sort of guy you'd love to share a pint with in your local.

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
He strikes me as the average sort of guy you'd love to share a pint with in your local.
haha marc. come on we know he's matured alot since then.... when was it u met him hoggy?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
the only international cricketer i have met is Abdul Qadir, and he seemed very nice indeed, although someone asked him about Mushtaq Ahmed, and how Qadir thought he was, so Qadir kinda sarcastically said, that "oh, well they are all my teachers" :)

Wasim Akram is one of my best buddies' brother in law, and although I havent met him, as I am never in Pakistan, I have heard is very nice, but then its different if you are family I guess :)

English team generally looks the most well behaved on tv and newspapers.

Legglancer

State Regular
N. DeGroot is a very nice Guy. He will buy anyone a beer !

Sanath is also extreamly frienldy and helpful to anyone who asks him for help. He has gone out-of -his way to help many fans.

Harbajan Singh is quite a nice bloke if you are good to him, But if someone makes fun of him he becomes very defensive. He is very kind to hotel and restaurant staff and is known as quite the tipper :) also I personnaly know hotel wait staff who have got quite valuble mometos from the Turbanator. :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Jacques Rudolph said:
oh Jimmie Adams let me give him throwdowns which i thought was nice...
Jimmy Adams...met him on Tuesday, he had a strange limp that one of the players asked him if it was the "famous West Indian Swagger"

Really laid back guy.

It was Worcestershire vs Condover for David Leatherdale's benefit.

The Worcestershire players:

Vikram Solanki: Seemed really happy and chatty, a little distant sometimes and constantly on his phone. Oddly kept wicket. Got 40odd with the bat.

Graeme Hick: An odd one, very quiet, very nervous, very shy. A lovely guy but he shields so much of it. He was on the boundary and instead of calling to his son (I think) he whistled several times as if he wasn't trying to make too much of it. Scored 57 before he started chipping the ball in the air on perpouse.

Steve Rhodes: Really nice family man type. Hit quite a few runs at the end.

Gareth Batty: Quiet and didn't really want to talk. When he bowled he opened the bowling with brisk med-fast. Wierd. Signs his autograph "G.T.T" which looks like "P.M" which according to David Leatherdale is a combination of "Gareth" and "Git". Strange.

David Leatherdale: Had a good game with the bat getting 40 odd, seemed to be really enjoying his benefit and the most approachable of the players. Had a nice chat with him.

Stephen Peters: Utter nutcase, never stops moving in the field and got an LBW with his leggies when the batsman hit the ball with the middle of the bat. Got smashed for a massive 6 though. Not much with the bat.

Anurag Singh: Didn't make much with the bat. Managed to watch the cricket, read his bank statements and talk on the phone at the same time. Left the field after 4-5 overs when they fielded and got changed so Steve Rhodes' son came on to field.

Mark Harrity: Seemed rather aloof and a nasty stare warded off most autograph hunters. When I gave him my book to sign he gave it to another player who then signed it and gave it back to me.

Ben Smith: Blunt and doesn't waste his words. More buisness-like than friendly but not offensive. Fell to a stunning catch when batting.

krkode

State Captain
My only encounter with cricketers face-to-face happened in the Taj Residency back in Hyderabad. This was a day before the Ind-NZ game - the one in which Tendulkar scored 186, India scored 376 and all-round won the game :P

I found Chris Drum, Chris Cairns and Dion Nash to be extremely nice. I met a few Indian cricketers too (Joshi, Chopra and Dravid) and they were all really nice too.

Of people I didn't meet, but think would be a nice person to chat with: Wasim Akram, Adam Gilchrist, Alan Donald, Jayasurya..

Glenn McGrath, personally, seems not-so-nice to me, but that may be just because he takes wickets on auto-pilot all the time :O

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Legglancer said:
Yeah ... He also likes a nice cold one in the summer or a strong RumNcoke !:duh:
Rum and coke is, for the most part over-rated....unless mixed correctly. :)

Craig

World Traveller
I was going to ask which Jimmy Adams it is you meant - Jimmy Adams who plays for Hampshire or Jimmy Adams who is great mates with Brain Lara and captained WI.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't met all of these players, some i would say are nice i am judging from the way they play, interviews and what people i would consider reliable and a good judge of character have told me

The Sri Lankans are pretty nice guys, particularly Murali

Most of the South Africans (well the team from last time they were out here) Rhodes, Pollock, Kirsten etc and Ntini

Jimmy Adams, Brian Lara, Chanderpaul and Sarwan

Shane Bond, Tuffey

on the english front Anderson and Vaughan

and in Aus (only more cause i know more about Aussie cricket): Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Gilchrist, Watson, Gillespie (though he doesn't look it ;)) lee (both), Noffke, M Clarke and Martin Love

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There are always going to be some players who think they're just plain awesome..but generally as players age they become more mature.

Apparently Craig McMillan was like that but recently since the selectors dropped him he's decided to mature out & take a more senior role.