Thread: "That" Test Match - Hansie and the Declaration

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

"That" Test Match - Hansie and the Declaration

South Africa v England 5 test match Centurion park the year 2000, Discuss about that Declaration.

5th Test: South Africa v England at Centurion, Jan 14-18, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Darren Maddy

Chris Adams

At the time I remember a lot of pundits saying it was great for the game, produced an exciting finish in a dead match. I was also very pleased as I won money on it, I had to retrieve the betting slip from the wheely-bin though. We had a good record in dead-rubbers, so I thought it was worth a punt, before the match.

Thanks Hansie
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    yeah seriously thought it was a good act to give something back to the crowd by the captains. Honestly never thought Hansie of all people would be into such stuff..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Remember being stunned when I heard we'd won. Back then I had no 'tinternet access at work and had left in the morning with SA's 1st innings not yet completed going into the 5th day.

Was surprised at the contrivance of the result (although, as grecian points out, Cronje was praised from most quarters at the time and such "fabricated" results are fairly commonplace in rain-affected county championship games where a result suits both teams more than a draw) but didn't really suspect anything untoward.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Hussain was interviewed about this recently and said he now doesn't count it as one of his Test wins. That's fair enough I suppose - it was really only a first-innings lead - but still a bit sad. England did nothing wrong after all, although they did their best to throw it away.

Thread Information