• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"That" Test Match - Hansie and the Declaration

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At the time I remember a lot of pundits saying it was great for the game, produced an exciting finish in a dead match. I was also very pleased as I won money on it, I had to retrieve the betting slip from the wheely-bin though. We had a good record in dead-rubbers, so I thought it was worth a punt, before the match.

Thanks Hansie:)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah seriously thought it was a good act to give something back to the crowd by the captains. Honestly never thought Hansie of all people would be into such stuff.. :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Remember being stunned when I heard we'd won. Back then I had no 'tinternet access at work and had left in the morning with SA's 1st innings not yet completed going into the 5th day.

Was surprised at the contrivance of the result (although, as grecian points out, Cronje was praised from most quarters at the time and such "fabricated" results are fairly commonplace in rain-affected county championship games where a result suits both teams more than a draw) but didn't really suspect anything untoward.

stumpski

International Captain
Hussain was interviewed about this recently and said he now doesn't count it as one of his Test wins. That's fair enough I suppose - it was really only a first-innings lead - but still a bit sad. England did nothing wrong after all, although they did their best to throw it away.