• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar as a World Cup player (posts moved here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only area where I have the SRTs and MSDs behind in ODIs is that they've NEVER produced on the biggest stage

I know people will point to the 2nd round of this or semi-final of that but, let's face it, that means jack diddley squat in the scheme of things

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Alex

Banned
And the only area where I have the SRTs and MSDs behind in ODIs is that they've NEVER produced on the biggest stage

I know people will point to the 2nd round of this or semi-final of that but, let's face it, that means jack diddley squat in the scheme of things
Ha ha, rubbish.

And the only area where I have the SRTs and MSDs behind in ODIs is that they've NEVER produced on the biggest stage

:laugh:

social

Ha ha, rubbish.
So SRT has scored more runs at a better average than anyone in WCs

Can you seriously claim that he's in the top 5 WC batsmen ever - no friggin way

Anyway, let's not derail the thread - anyone that believes MSD is better than Bevan assigns more importance to just another series in the subcontinent than the most important tournies

Pretty simple really and the suggestion is really farcical IMO

Tendulkar as a World Cup player

Anyway, let's not derail the thread - anyone that believes MSD is better than Bevan assigns more importance to just another series in the subcontinent than the most important tournies

Of course he is not.Ponting,Bevan,Waugh,Gilchrist,Hayden,Langer,Warne,Lillee,Shane Lee are all better batsmen.As for derailing the thread, you are the one who mentioned SRT.You must be one insecure bloke :laugh:

bagapath

International Captain

he certainly is. failed in the 03 finals against aus. but he took the team to the finals in the first place. won the man of the series prize that year, the only time it went to a player who didnt play for the champion side.

as for the main question, dhoni in my books is still a bit behind bevan. because i do believe WC performances are important.

edit: fixed the year

Last edited:

social

Unimportant to neutrals. A series win in an Ind-Pak ODI series is twice as important to me and a lot of indian fans(similarly to Pakistani fans) as a WC win. Don't decide what is important and non-important for everyone, thanks.
Sure 8-)

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

social

he certainly is. failed in the 07 finals against aus. but he took the team to the finals in the first place. won the man of the series prize that year, the only time it went to a player who didnt play for the champion side.

as for the main question, dhoni in my books is still a bit behind bevan. because i do believe WC performances are important.
2003 actually and it was a nonsense decision

bagapath

International Captain

yeah, too bad they dont care about your opinion social. :) SRT is indeed a very special WC player. last time CW selected a WC XI he was the only member of the team without a winner's medal. he will be in most people's top 5 list for sure.

we are slowly forgetting the greatness of bevan. that is unfair coz he did in the 90s what javed miandad specialized a decade before that. shepherding the tail in a limited overs game is an art very few have mastered. bevan has a doctorate in it.

Teja.

Global Moderator

On the contrary, It would be safe to say that most people would have SRT in the Top3(If not 1) WC Batsmen ever. He almost single-handedly carried his team in the '96 and '03 worldcups, and he was the highest scorer in 40% of the worldcups he played in.

Teja.

Global Moderator
673 Sachin Tendulkar
465 Sourav Ganguly
415 Ricky Ponting
408 Adam Gilchrist
384 Herschelle Gibbs

Absolutely. They should have given it to Ponting for scoring 62% of the runs SRT had scored, or to Ganguly for scoring 218 of his 465 runs against Kenya. Face it, SRT was by a margin the single best performer in the WC of 2003.(There were 3-4 bowlers at the top who took a similar amount of wickets)

social

673 Sachin Tendulkar
465 Sourav Ganguly
415 Ricky Ponting
408 Adam Gilchrist
384 Herschelle Gibbs

Absolutely. They should have given it to Ponting for scoring 62% of the runs SRT had scored, or to Ganguly for scoring 218 of his 465 runs against Kenya. Face it, SRT was by a margin the single best performer in the WC of 2003.(There were 3-4 bowlers at the top who took a similar amount of wickets)
Ponting was captaining his country in his first major tourney

On the eve of the event, one of the greatest Oz players in history was banned

A player that Ponting backed to the hilt saved Oz vs Pakistan despite everybody calling for his head before-hand

Ponting, almost singlehandedly, destroyed India in the final

In WC 2003, it was Ponting first, daylight second, night third and who cares fourth

Player of the series was a popularity contest, nothing more

As for the topic at hand, Bevan arguably played a more important innings in that one series than the others have ever played

bagapath

International Captain
thank your lucky stars you are not a moderator, social. otherwise, you would have banned yourself for trolling.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ponting was captaining his country in his first major tourney

On the eve of the event, one of the greatest Oz players in history was banned

A player that Ponting backed to the hilt saved Oz vs Pakistan despite everybody calling for his head before-hand

Ponting, almost singlehandedly, destroyed India in the final

In WC 2003, it was Ponting first, daylight second, night third and who cares fourth

Player of the series was a popularity contest, nothing more

As for the topic at hand, Bevan arguably played a more important innings in that one series than the others have ever played
The award was for Player of the Tournament, not the thinker of the Tournament or believer of the tournament.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
The 2003 world cup produced the flattest batting wickets of any world cup ever. They all had good consistent bounce too that facilitated stroke play. The only place for bowlers doing well was under lights as Anderson and Nehra demonstrated with their spells. The team batting under lights always lost in big team match ups.

I wish all world cups were held in Australia NewZealand and England. They seem to host the best world cups with sporting wickets.

Last edited:

social

thank your lucky stars you are not a moderator, social. otherwise, you would have banned yourself for trolling.
When was Sachin really needed in 2003?

How many did he score?

Great, great player but let's not pretend 2003 was an unequivocal success

Status
Not open for further replies.