• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Northern vs. Southern Hemisphere

Who would win a 3 test series played in England?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's your line-ups & who'd take out a 3 test series played in England?

I've gone with....

Northern Hemisphere XI;

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Richards/Headley
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Imran (c)
Knott (wk)
Marshall
Murali
Trueman/Ambrose

Southern Hemisphere XI

B. Richards
Trumper
Bradman (c)
Ponting/ G Chappell
G Pollock
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

vcs

Probably Southern Hemisphere. The Northern Hemisphere seems to lack something in bowling resources compared to the Southern Hemisphere team.

vcs

Blah, clicked on the wrong option in the poll. Would like to have it changed.

Probably Southern Hemisphere. The Northern Hemisphere seems to lack something in bowling resources compared to the Southern Hemisphere team.

How so? Imran,Marshall,Trueman,Murali + Sobers is as good as Mcgrath,Hadlee,Warne,Lillee+ Kallis.

vcs

How so? Imran,Marshall,Trueman,Murali + Sobers is as good as Mcgrath,Hadlee,Warne,Lillee+ Kallis.
Hmm.. yeah you're right. The batting order made it seem that way, perhaps. Then I think Gilchrist's batting could be the difference between the sides.

SeamUp

International Coach
I guess some in the Southern hemisphere team would have felt unlucky to miss out...like Hayden, Border, Nourse,Donald, S.Pollock,Crowe and so on.

I'm sorry but SH has NH covered

Zinzan

NH bowling is better but SH batting is better because of Bradman.Very tough but went with NH.
How exactly do you figure NH have the stronger bowling line-up?

Honestly can't see how you can separate the attack of Trueman/Marshall/Imran/Murali + Sobers from McGrath/Hadlee/Lillee/Warne + Kallis. I reckon those bowling attacks pretty much cancel each other out with Bradman & Gilchrist giving SH a slight advantage overall.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Would have Hayden instead of Trumper and Miller instead of Kallis. Batting will take a bit of a hit but still stronger than NH XI but the bowling will improve a lot. Lillee, McGrath. Hadlee and Miller for pace, and Warne for spin - 4 prong pace attack + spinner. :wub:

B. Richards
Hayden
Bradman (c)
Ponting/ G Chappell
G Pollock
Miller
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Last edited:

Zinzan

Would have Hayden instead of Trumper and Miller instead of Kallis. Batting will take a bit of a hit but still stronger than NH XI but the bowling will improve a lot. Lillee, McGrath. Hadlee and Miller for pace, and Warne for spin. :wub:

B. Richards
Hayden
Bradman (c)
Ponting/ G Chappell
G Pollock
Miller
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
Grrr, can't believe I forgot about Miller :kwasny:, totally agree with that amendment. Would still have Trumper or even Morris > Hayden though.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Grrr, can't believe I forgot about Miller :kwasny:, totally agree with that amendment. Would still have Trumper or even Morris > Hayden though.
Might be cheating, but how about Bradman opening with Ponting and Chappell and 3/4? :p

Also Bob Simpson averaged about 55-56 as opener, so he's in with a shout.

Last edited:
How exactly do you figure NH have the stronger bowling line-up?

Honestly can't see how you can separate the attack of Trueman/Marshall/Imran/Murali + Sobers from McGrath/Hadlee/Lillee/Warne + Kallis. I reckon those bowling attacks pretty much cancel each other out with Bradman & Gilchrist giving SH a slight advantage overall.
Marshall > Hadlee
Murali > Warne
Ambrose > Lillee but Lilllee > Trueman
Imran > Mcgrath
Sobers = Kallis or Kallis slightly > Sobers

All contentious but NH have a slightly stronger bowling line up.You are right about Gilly and Don giving SH a slight edge overall - in hindsight I would go for SH as well.

Man for man

1. Hobbs > Barry
2. Gavaskar > Trumper
3. Bradman >>> Viv
4. Tendulkar > Ponting - do not want to start a debate-just my opnion
5. Lara > Pollock
6. Sobers better batsman than Miller but Miller is a better bowler.How do you compare ?
7. Gilchrist > Knott
8. Imran > Hadlee
9. Marshall > Lillee
10.Murali> Warne
11.Ambrose > Mcgrath

Zinzan

Marshall > Hadlee
Murali > Warne
Ambrose > Lillee but Lilllee > Trueman
Imran > Mcgrath
Sobers = Kallis or Kallis slightly > Sobers
Or the another way to look at it is ranking them all which for me would be;

1) Marshall
2) Hadlee
3) Ambrose/McGrath
4) Lillee
5) Imran
6) Miller (sorry I've stolen Miller off Ikki & dropped Kallis :p)
7) Sobers

Can't separate Warne & Murali, both have good records in England.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Man for man

1. Hobbs > Barry
2. Gavaskar > Trumper
3. Bradman >>> Viv
5. Lara > Pollock
6. Sobers better batsman than Miller but Miller is a better bowler.How do you compare ?
7. Gilchrist > Knott
8. Imran > Hadlee
9. Marshall > Lillee
10.Murali> Warne
11.Ambrose > Mcgrath
So many of those are contentious that it's not worth the debate. Most of those have very little in them and in fact can be put the other way. The two glaring differences are Bradman and Gilchrist.

... in England.
Forgot about that. Forget Hayden I guess :p

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Man for man

1. Hobbs > Barry
2. Gavaskar > Trumper
3. Bradman >>> Viv
5. Lara > Pollock
7. Gilchrist > Knott
8. Imran > Hadlee
9. Marshall > Lillee
10.Murali> Warne
11.Ambrose > Mcgrath
You obviously didn't see what I saw then. I mean Lara being better than G. Pollock??? Lara was brillaint but doesn't touch Pollock. All I say is watch clips of G. Pollock. Rad articles on G.Pollock and in particular his Trent Bridge innings in England in 1965.

Oh and what happened to Kallis at 6. Kallis eats Miller up. Comparin Kallis to Sobers is also diffcult because statistically they are the best all-rounders of all-time but their styles are completely different.

Murali is not better than Warne and it is proved when he went to play in Aus.

McGrath was better than Ambrose.

I'm not so sure Jack Hobbs was better than Barry either.

I agree with the rest probably.

SeamUp

International Coach
Or the another way to look at it is ranking them all which for me would be;

1) Marshall
2) Hadlee
3) Ambrose/McGrath
4) Lillee
5) Imran
6) Miller (sorry I've stolen Miller off Ikki & dropped Kallis :p)
7) Sobers

Can't separate Warne & Murali, both have good records in England.
Thats a bit harsh on Kallis tbh....the guy has been one of the most consistently great players of all time. I find it hard to believe how he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

He had the best test average of all test batsman from 2000-2010 and still bowled as well on top of all the other great batsman of the era.

Miller was a folk hero due to dynamic nature but surely when you have Ponting, G. Pollock and Gilchrist in your side thats covered.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Morris averaged under 40 with the blade once Bradman retired. No way is he better then Hayden. Hayden's stats blow Trumper's out of the water.

SeamUp said:
Lara was brillaint but doesn't touch Pollock.
No need to make barbarick statements.