• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Northern vs. Southern Hemisphere

Who would win a 3 test series played in England?

• Total voters

JBH001

International Regular
Hmmm, this was a more difficult exercise than I anticipated.

Anyway, NH XI:

1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Richards
4. Hammond
5. Headley
6. Sobers
7. Imran
8. Knott
9. Marshall
10. Barnes
11. Murali

and SH XI:

1. Lawry
2. Simpson
3. Bradman
4. Chappell
5. Nourse
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Hadlee
9. Warne
10. Lillee
11. McGrath

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
if you compare trumper's average (39) to the average of his contemporaries (24) and normalize it to the overall batting average of the present era (31), it would come to 46. and he scored at the speed of light (SR 69). i would say he was probably as good and as exciting as a pietersen or a hayden or a sehwag.
Rather than just maintaining the average+15, if you think of Trumper's average as 162.5% of his eras average. That today would come out as 50.375

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Northern Hemisphere XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Vivian Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Imran Khan (c)
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

Southern Hemisphere XI
Barry Richards
Matthew Hayden
Sir Donald Bradman
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Sir Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne (c)
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Tough. I was temped to swap one of the bowlers for Brian Lara, but I think that the NH would need the extra firepower if they are going to topple Bradman; plus Wasim & Marshall are bowling allrounders anyway.

Contrasting styles though. NH has two defensive Openers whilst SH has two aggressive openers. I guess you can get away with that when Bradman is coming in at 3. Hayden to be the batsman of the series and shut up all of his critics once and for all.

L Trumper

State Regular
Northern Hemisphere XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Vivian Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Imran Khan (c)
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

Southern Hemisphere XI
Barry Richards
Matthew Hayden
Sir Donald Bradman
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Sir Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne (c)
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Tough. I was temped to swap one of the bowlers for Brian Lara, but I think that the NH would need the extra firepower if they are going to topple Bradman; plus Wasim & Marshall are bowling allrounders anyway.

Contrasting styles though. NH has two defensive Openers whilst SH has two aggressive openers. I guess you can get away with that when Bradman is coming in at 3. Hayden to be the batsman of the series and shut up all of his critics once and for all.
Considering you are a fan of hayden, him ahead of trumper seems ok. But Graeme pollock should be in that middle order in the place of either ricky or chappell. Personally i'd have trumper and pollock over hayden and ponting. Doesn't make much difference though.

But NH batting seems weak there. Its a volatile middle order.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Considering you are a fan of hayden, him ahead of trumper seems ok. But Graeme pollock should be in that middle order in the place of either ricky or chappell. Personally i'd have trumper and pollock over hayden and ponting. Doesn't make much difference though.

But NH batting seems weak there. Its a volatile middle order.
Wouldn't rate Pollock ahead of Ponting and wouldn't rate Trumper ahead of Hayden. Hayden's shear ability to grind out 100's on such a consistent basis puts him ahead of Trumper for mine, and I doubt Trumper was fending off 140kph+ bowlers in the prehistoric times. How is Pollock possibly better then Ponting? And NH's batting isn't weak at all.

L Trumper

State Regular
Wouldn't rate Pollock ahead of Ponting and wouldn't rate Trumper ahead of Hayden. Hayden's shear ability to grind out 100's on such a consistent basis puts him ahead of Trumper for mine, and I doubt Trumper was fending off 140kph+ bowlers in the prehistoric times. How is Pollock possibly better then Ponting? And NH's batting isn't weak at all.
Looking as an all time side their batting do look weak.
Gavaskar, Sachin didn't have great records against lillee, mcgrath.

Pollock will offer a different dynamic to that midfield, ponting is great at no:3 than at no:5. Between hayden and trumper doesn't make much difference. May be couple of decades later if hayden gets recognized as the greatest batsman of his time, then we can talk about it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Had to laugh earlier in the thread when people are going through the sides saying "X > Y"; think that you could have just about lodged a decent argument in the opposite for every one of them. Such an amazing exercise, and so much amazing talent.

Honestly think that, even over a three match series, it is impossible to tell who would win. It only takes five good pills, or mistakes, and one of the teams could be rock and rolled for not much. It's the beauty of cricket, and all sports - it ain't played on paper. Except pictionary, that is.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Looking as an all time side their batting do look weak.
Gavaskar, Sachin didn't have great records against lillee, mcgrath.

Pollock will offer a different dynamic to that midfield, ponting is great at no:3 than at no:5. Between hayden and trumper doesn't make much difference. May be couple of decades later if hayden gets recognized as the greatest batsman of his time, then we can talk about it.
Just because a batsman wasn't the best batsman of his era, doesn't mean his lesser then another batsman who was the best in a lesser era.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Northern Hemisphere XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Vivian Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Imran Khan (c)
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

Southern Hemisphere XI
Barry Richards
Matthew Hayden
Sir Donald Bradman
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Sir Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne (c)
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

I think you are very very tough on the "gentleman" named S. Barnes

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm, this was a more difficult exercise than I anticipated.

Anyway, NH XI:

1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Richards
4. Hammond
5. Headley
6. Sobers
7. Imran
8. Knott
9. Marshall
10. Barnes
11. Murali