• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Northern vs. Southern Hemisphere

Who would win a 3 test series played in England?

• Total voters
Someone mentioned that Murali failed in Australia - that is as irrelevant as Warne failing in India because the OP asks says that the test is to be played in England - only records in England should be considered.

G. Pollock was a genious and he had Bradman purring when he saw him. Even Bradman said he was the best left-hander he had seen.

Its not only that he played 23 tests...don't forget none of which were over the age of 24 where he was still to hit his peak but the manner in which he scored his runs and type of runs he scored.

G. Pollock is firmly down in my books as the 3rd best batsman of all time behind Bradman and Sobers.
He was yet to hit his peak...maybe..but yet to hit the inevitable troughs as well....please do not impose your views on me.Your opinion is reasonable and I have no problems with it.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone mentioned that Murali failed in Australia - that is as irrelevant as Warne failing in India because the OP asks says that the test is to be played in England - only records in England should be considered.
I didn't actually mean to imply that only records against England should be considered, just wanted to see the balance of 3 front-line pacers & 1 spinner in each side.

I would have Smith and Steve Waugh over Ponting and Chappell in England

Steve Waugh 1633 runs @ 74 Ponting 1323 runs @ 44 Smith 1083 runs @ 73
Chappell scored 1020 runs @ 40.80

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Kinda, but also irrelevant in a way. The records in England are against England.

I didn't actually mean to imply that only records against England should be considered, just wanted to see the balance of 3 front-line pacers & 1 spinner in each side.
Sure but how a player performed in England would be the tie-breaker if the overall records are reasonably good - Steve Waugh over Ponting for example.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sure but how a player performed in England would be the tie-breaker if the overall records are reasonable good - Steve Waugh over Ponting for example.
Yup, that's pretty much what I was meaning, maybe if there's a tie-break, you'd look at the records in England

Steve Waugh is a number 5.
Meh that is just making life even more complicated.A lot of the players aren't in their normal positions - Lara is at number 5 for instance.If you move him up to his regular number 4 then Tendulkar will have to bat somewhere he has very rarely batted at.Let us keep it simple I say.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Meh that is just making life even more complicated.A lot of the players aren't in their normal positions - Lara is at number 5 for instance.If you move him up to his regular number 4 then Tendulkar will have to bat somewhere he has very rarely batted at.Let us keep it simple I say.
But Ponting is a top order player while Waugh isn't? Huge difference.

But Ponting is a top order player while Waugh isn't? Huge difference.
Bradman being at 3 basically means Ponting cannot bat at his customary position at 3 which means he will have to bat at 4 or lower.If you are going to argue that a change from number 5 to number 4 is too hard for someone like Waugh...then cool...

Really? Like how Ponting plays spin in India and in Sri Lanka?

Anyway, Zinzan is the authority for his reasoning, not me.

India and SL are one country? If the match was to be played in India you would not consider Ponting's record in India?It is the conditions more than the bowlers as you have always argued because the same Ponting has murdered the same Indian attack in Australia.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
India and SL are one country? If the match was to be played in India you would not consider Ponting's record in India?It is the conditions more than the bowlers as you have always argued because the same Ponting has murdered the same Indian attack at home.
That's not the point at all. They're the only two places in the world where spin outdoes pace. Ponting did worse against inferior spinners than he did against one of the best of all time. I am just showing the fallacy in taking things in such simplistic terms as Sir Alex was. Things don't necessarily happen in a linear fashion.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bradman being at 3 basically means Ponting cannot bat at his customary position at 3 which means he will have to bat at 4 or lower.If you are going to argue that a change from number 5 to number 4 is too hard for someone like Waugh...then cool...
In an alltime side, Waugh who batted almost entirely at 5 should stay there. Sure he could do it but would he deserve to in an all-time side?

In an alltime side, Waugh who batted almost entirely at 5 should stay there. Sure he could do it but would he deserve to in an all-time side?
So Ponting should not be considered for SH because his spot is taken by Bradman?If we are going to make a eleven based on playing position then lets do it for everyone not just pick and choose which players to do it for.

Athlai

Not Terrible
So Ponting should not be considered for SH because his spot is taken by Bradman?If we are going to make a eleven based on playing position then lets do it for everyone not just pick and choose which players to do it for.
A top order player dropping to the middle isn't that big an issue as opposed to a lower order bat moving up. Though I did misunderstand you thinking you wanted Waugh to bat at 3 instead of Ponting.