View Poll Results: Who do you think is better finisher?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bevan

20 58.82%
  • Hussey

3 8.82%
  • Dhoni

11 32.35%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bevan vs. Hussey vs. Dhoni

Bevan vs. Hussey vs. Dhoni

Bevan

Hussey

Dhoni

This is quite tough. Dhoni and Hussey trump Bevan in SR. But, Bevan has better record vs. good teams.

Also something ppl may overlook is their stats when their team wins...

Name= Avg/SR
    Bevan= 65/76
    Hussey= 56/89
    Dhoni= 81/101
    Greatest Test XI::: S Gavaskar, M Hayden, D Bradman*, S Tendulkar, A Border, G Sobers, A Gilchrist, I Khan, S Warne, M Marshall, G McGrath
    Reserves: B Richards, V Richards, A Knott, M Muralitharan

Greatest ODI XI::: A Gilchrist, S Tendulkar, R Ponting*, V Richards, M Dhoni, M Bevan, S Pollock, W Akram, S Warne, J Garner, M Muralitharan, A Donald
    Reserves: A deVilliars, B Lara, R Hadlee, S Warne

Bevan > Dhoni > Hussey for mine

Dhoni > Bevan > Hussey

Bevan never had to deal with short stuff, which he flopped against.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    For some reason I just find it hard to rate Dhoni quite as high as Bevan yet. Maybe needs to play NZ more, so for now its still Bev>Dhoni>Hussey
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Banned
    If your team is 4/40 the best batsman to come in is Bevan followed by Hussey.

Dhoni for mine, because not only does he have the cool head and the ability to carry his team through(Like Bevan and Hussey) if it as at 40/4, but he can also come in at the 40th over with the score being 240/5 and do a fabulous blitzkrieg. All that said, Dhoni needs to bat for a few more years to trump Bevan overall.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Dhoni for mine, because not only does he have the cool head and the ability to carry his team through(Like Bevan and Hussey) if it as at 40/4, but he can also come in at the 40th over with the score being 240/5 and do a fabulous blitzkrieg. All that said, Dhoni needs to bat for a few more years to trump Bevan overall.
    When you look at the stats Dhoni fails when his team is under the pump, his average in loosing games plummets, he is fine when the team gets off to a great start but if not he fails. Hussey averages 55 in winning games and 50 in loosing games but dhonis average between winning games and loosing games drops from 81 to 27, If Dhonis team does not get a good start then you cant expect much from him,

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    When you look at the stats Dhoni fails when his team is under the pump, his average in loosing games plummets, he is fine when the team gets off to a great start but if not he fails. Hussey averages 55 in winning games and 50 in loosing games but dhonis average between winning games and loosing games drops from 81 to 27, If Dhonis team does not get a good start then you cant expect much from him,
    Misinformed opinion. Dhoni has carried India to some great wins. I would consider the greatest strength of Dhoni is his ability to come in under the pump with 6+ runs per over required and carry India to victory.

A higher average in losing games would otherwise reflect an inability to take India to victory, or simply batting out the overs as seen in some 2nd innings chases that fall well short.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    Misinformed opinion. Dhoni has carried India to some great wins. I would consider the greatest strength of Dhoni is his ability to come in under the pump with 6+ runs per over required and carry India to victory.

A higher average in losing games would otherwise reflect an inability to take India to victory, or simply batting out the overs as seen in some 2nd innings chases that fall well short.
    Sorry to tell you that you are misinformed but Dhoni is terribly inconsistant and fails when Idia lose the match. Hussey on the other hand is very consistant and reliable. Like I said Dhoni is great when others have done the hard work but relying on him as a finished in tight games will cost the team. He also dies in the big games like the WC and Champions trophy.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Its definitely a vote for Bevan from me. I think some of the statistics can be a little bit twisted when comparing the three players. With 300-350+ scored so much more regularly in the last few years (i.e. over Dhoni and Hussey's career sample) the need for their style of player to finish off a game as well as increase the run rate in the death overs is more important than a player of Bevan's era when scores of 280-300 were considered a highly competitive total. I rate Bevan the best finisher in the game chasing a target though if my side was four wickets down at the 40th over batting first on a flat pitch I'd probably go with the more aggressive Dhoni. Overall I can't go past Bevan, hes a true great of the limited overs format.

Banned
    Ha ha. Best circular reasoning ever. Teams lose when individuals don't perform. His low average in lost matches denote that when he fails india lose generally.

Dhoni has still quite some way to go before he can better bevan. Although another 2 or 3 years on present form, he'll do it. Also Dhoni has had to handle multiple stuff like captain and wicketkeeping at the same time, which puts him fairly ahead of the other two overall.

Sorry to tell you that you are misinformed but Dhoni is terribly inconsistant and fails when Idia lose the match. Hussey on the other hand is very consistant and reliable. Like I said Dhoni is great when others have done the hard work but relying on him as a finished in tight games will cost the team. He also dies in the big games like the WC and Champions trophy.
    I don't understand the logic that Dhoni fails when India lose. What is the point of Dhoni averaging 50 in games India still end up losing? The fact that he averages 80+ in wins by India suggests he plays a massive role in guiding India to victory. I'm sure if you look through the career of Dhoni you will find some wonderful examples of Dhoni coming in at the crunch moments and scoring tough run a ball innings.

Always need to be careful using World Cup and Champions Trophy as a measure of a players ability. Hussey averaged 17.40 from 6 innings in the 2007 World Cup, to go with his average of 38 in the Champions Trophy. These tournaments are such small sample sizes given the amount of games these cricketers play. You can be a failure at the WC or CT, and yet still be a wonderful ODI cricketer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    I don't understand the logic that Dhoni fails when India lose. What is the point of Dhoni averaging 50 in games India still end up losing? The fact that he averages 80+ in wins by India suggests he plays a massive role in guiding India to victory. I'm sure if you look through the career of Dhoni you will find some wonderful examples of Dhoni coming in at the crunch moments and scoring tough run a ball innings.

Always need to be careful using World Cup and Champions Trophy as a measure of a players ability. Hussey averaged 17.40 from 6 innings in the 2007 World Cup, to go with his average of 38 in the Champions Trophy. These tournaments are such small sample sizes given the amount of games these cricketers play. You can be a failure at the WC or CT, and yet still be a wonderful ODI cricketer.
    So tell me again, why is Dhoni better than Bevan or Hussey.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Hussey is the pick for mine, though i haven't seen much of Dhoni finishing.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

So tell me again, why is Dhoni better than Bevan or Hussey.
    I have yet to suggest that Dhoni is better than Bevan or Hussey. I just dispute your opinion of Dhoni as a failure based on his average in losing matches, or his World Cup record.

I would prefer to wait until Dhoni and Hussey call it quits before casting my opinion.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information