• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan vs. Hussey vs. Dhoni

Who do you think is better finisher?

• Total voters

Maximus0723

State Regular
Bevan

Hussey

Dhoni

This is quite tough. Dhoni and Hussey trump Bevan in SR. But, Bevan has better record vs. good teams.

Also something ppl may overlook is their stats when their team wins...

Name= Avg/SR
Bevan= 65/76
Hussey= 56/89
Dhoni= 81/101

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni > Bevan > Hussey

Bevan never had to deal with short stuff, which he flopped against.

Athlai

Not Terrible
For some reason I just find it hard to rate Dhoni quite as high as Bevan yet. Maybe needs to play NZ more, so for now its still Bev>Dhoni>Hussey

Teja.

Global Moderator
Dhoni for mine, because not only does he have the cool head and the ability to carry his team through(Like Bevan and Hussey) if it as at 40/4, but he can also come in at the 40th over with the score being 240/5 and do a fabulous blitzkrieg. All that said, Dhoni needs to bat for a few more years to trump Bevan overall.

Dhoni for mine, because not only does he have the cool head and the ability to carry his team through(Like Bevan and Hussey) if it as at 40/4, but he can also come in at the 40th over with the score being 240/5 and do a fabulous blitzkrieg. All that said, Dhoni needs to bat for a few more years to trump Bevan overall.
When you look at the stats Dhoni fails when his team is under the pump, his average in loosing games plummets, he is fine when the team gets off to a great start but if not he fails. Hussey averages 55 in winning games and 50 in loosing games but dhonis average between winning games and loosing games drops from 81 to 27, If Dhonis team does not get a good start then you cant expect much from him,

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
When you look at the stats Dhoni fails when his team is under the pump, his average in loosing games plummets, he is fine when the team gets off to a great start but if not he fails. Hussey averages 55 in winning games and 50 in loosing games but dhonis average between winning games and loosing games drops from 81 to 27, If Dhonis team does not get a good start then you cant expect much from him,
Misinformed opinion. Dhoni has carried India to some great wins. I would consider the greatest strength of Dhoni is his ability to come in under the pump with 6+ runs per over required and carry India to victory.

A higher average in losing games would otherwise reflect an inability to take India to victory, or simply batting out the overs as seen in some 2nd innings chases that fall well short.

Misinformed opinion. Dhoni has carried India to some great wins. I would consider the greatest strength of Dhoni is his ability to come in under the pump with 6+ runs per over required and carry India to victory.

A higher average in losing games would otherwise reflect an inability to take India to victory, or simply batting out the overs as seen in some 2nd innings chases that fall well short.
Sorry to tell you that you are misinformed but Dhoni is terribly inconsistant and fails when Idia lose the match. Hussey on the other hand is very consistant and reliable. Like I said Dhoni is great when others have done the hard work but relying on him as a finished in tight games will cost the team. He also dies in the big games like the WC and Champions trophy.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Its definitely a vote for Bevan from me. I think some of the statistics can be a little bit twisted when comparing the three players. With 300-350+ scored so much more regularly in the last few years (i.e. over Dhoni and Hussey's career sample) the need for their style of player to finish off a game as well as increase the run rate in the death overs is more important than a player of Bevan's era when scores of 280-300 were considered a highly competitive total. I rate Bevan the best finisher in the game chasing a target though if my side was four wickets down at the 40th over batting first on a flat pitch I'd probably go with the more aggressive Dhoni. Overall I can't go past Bevan, hes a true great of the limited overs format.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ha ha. Best circular reasoning ever. Teams lose when individuals don't perform. His low average in lost matches denote that when he fails india lose generally.

Dhoni has still quite some way to go before he can better bevan. Although another 2 or 3 years on present form, he'll do it. Also Dhoni has had to handle multiple stuff like captain and wicketkeeping at the same time, which puts him fairly ahead of the other two overall.

Noble One

Sorry to tell you that you are misinformed but Dhoni is terribly inconsistant and fails when Idia lose the match. Hussey on the other hand is very consistant and reliable. Like I said Dhoni is great when others have done the hard work but relying on him as a finished in tight games will cost the team. He also dies in the big games like the WC and Champions trophy.
I don't understand the logic that Dhoni fails when India lose. What is the point of Dhoni averaging 50 in games India still end up losing? The fact that he averages 80+ in wins by India suggests he plays a massive role in guiding India to victory. I'm sure if you look through the career of Dhoni you will find some wonderful examples of Dhoni coming in at the crunch moments and scoring tough run a ball innings.

Always need to be careful using World Cup and Champions Trophy as a measure of a players ability. Hussey averaged 17.40 from 6 innings in the 2007 World Cup, to go with his average of 38 in the Champions Trophy. These tournaments are such small sample sizes given the amount of games these cricketers play. You can be a failure at the WC or CT, and yet still be a wonderful ODI cricketer.

I don't understand the logic that Dhoni fails when India lose. What is the point of Dhoni averaging 50 in games India still end up losing? The fact that he averages 80+ in wins by India suggests he plays a massive role in guiding India to victory. I'm sure if you look through the career of Dhoni you will find some wonderful examples of Dhoni coming in at the crunch moments and scoring tough run a ball innings.

Always need to be careful using World Cup and Champions Trophy as a measure of a players ability. Hussey averaged 17.40 from 6 innings in the 2007 World Cup, to go with his average of 38 in the Champions Trophy. These tournaments are such small sample sizes given the amount of games these cricketers play. You can be a failure at the WC or CT, and yet still be a wonderful ODI cricketer.
So tell me again, why is Dhoni better than Bevan or Hussey.

Noble One

So tell me again, why is Dhoni better than Bevan or Hussey.
I have yet to suggest that Dhoni is better than Bevan or Hussey. I just dispute your opinion of Dhoni as a failure based on his average in losing matches, or his World Cup record.

I would prefer to wait until Dhoni and Hussey call it quits before casting my opinion.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan > Hussey > Dhoni.

When Hussey does what Bevan has done at world cups, I'll probably reevaluate my position.

Sir Alex

Banned
Bevan is The one who has usually benefited from strong starts by the top order, particularly while chasing. His average in successful chases is 80plus but his strike rate is just 66. Shows how much time he has had to finish off matches, he just needed to see his team through most cases.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm interested in the consistency issue but I'd rather it explored in a way that actually makes sense.

So.... Dhoni, Bevan Hussey scores under 20 and 30 (not including not outs) and scores over 30 and 50 (including not outs)

Under 20
Dhoni - 44 innings 30.8% of his career innings
Hussey -34 innings 29.6%
Bevan - 48 innings 24.5%

Under 30
Dhoni - 59 innings 41.0%
Hussey - 42 innings 36.5%
Bevan - 71 innings 36.2%

Over 30 (includes NOs)
Bevan - 109 innings 55.6%
Hussey - 62 innings 53.9%
Dhoni - 72 innings 50%

Over 50 (includes NOs)
Dhoni - 41 innings 28.5%
Hussey - 32 innings 27.8%
Bevan - 52 innings 26.5%

Dhoni despite being the most inconsistent in regards to how often he gets out for 20/30 or under and scoring 30 or over is the most consistent in scores of 50 and over. Found this all pretty interesting tbh. Also shows how gun Bevan was.

Sir Alex

Banned
Dhoni averages 124 at 92 in successful chases.

Quite incredibly he's just 100 runs short of what Bevan scored in his whole career in successful chases, despite having played only 48 such matches against Bevan's 75.