• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Barry Richards?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Why did Barry Richards only play 4 international test matches? his average was 72, how is he ranked among all time batsmen?

also why was he kicked out of the South African team? was it because he was black?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why did Barry Richards only play 4 international test matches? his average was 72, how is he ranked among all time batsmen?

also why was he kicked out of the South African team? was it because he was black?
Apartheid led to South Africa being banned from international cricket (as well as other sports).

Teja.

Global Moderator

I apologize but I laughed out loud when I read this post.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

:laugh: **** me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bit harsh, I've taken from some of his posts that Saeed's living in the States and perhaps has only recently developed an interest in the broader history of the game (SA - apologies if this is an incorrect surmise).

Richards was one of a number of wonderful South Africans whose test career was cut off at the knees by the politics of their government. It's a damn shame because they were probably the best team in the world at the time of their exclusion, and the matches we missed between them and the West Indies through the 70s and 80s would have been classics. Guys like Mike Procter (who would have been the best bowler out of the great allrounders of the 70s/80s), Clive Rice, etc make for great subjects of research to learn about the game. Even Graeme Pollock, although he got to play a bit more, had their career rudely curtailed.

Here's a nice article from Cricinfo on the last team SA fielded before they went into exile.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I know I might be biast because I am South African but what a team we would have had in the 70's and 80's. Since re-admission and twenty years onwards we have consistently been just behind Australia as the 2nd best side and even snuck ahead of them on ocassions but I really believe West Indies vs South Africa would have been a great battle in the 70's and 80's.

Our team going into the 70's would have lost only Trevor Goddard, Denis Lindsay and Peter Pollock probably. All 3 of whom were brilliant cricketers as well.

Probable team...

1. Barry Richards
2. Eddie Barlow (vc)
3. Peter Kirsten
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Lee Irvine
6. Clive Rice (c)
7. Mike Procter
8. Alan Kourie
9. Ray Jennings (+)
10. Garth Le Roux
11. Vincent Van der Bijl

In reserve there would have been Jimmy Cook who would have come in for Barlow when he retired. Ken McEwan would have come in for Lee Irvine.

In the bowling ranks Stephen Jefferies and the leg-spinner Denys Hobson would have been pushing for places as well.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Australia of the 70s would have been the third top team. Obviously they were trounced in that last series vs SA, but once Lillee and Greg Chappell came into the team, and they weren't buggered from a tour of India immediately preceding, they would have had some magnificent battles vs that SA team.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For those who were around at the time, who was generally viewed as the greater batsman; Graeme Pollock or Barry Richards?

SeamUp

International Coach
For those who were around at the time, who was generally viewed as the greater batsman; Graeme Pollock or Barry Richards?
Many people could give you an argument for either being slightly better than the other. But I think Graeme Pollock would win this one to me.

Richards was a perfect technician...probably in the top 5 of all time in that regard. Brilliant player who due to his technique and range of strokes was so dominant whatever the situation.

With Graeme Pollock, he was never the perfect technician and still maintains that cricket is 'a see the ball hit the ball game'. Why I believe most think he is better is that you just have to watch clips of him bat. His cover drive was out of this world...you would see a gentle waft of the willow and the next minute the ball was thudding into the fence...I think dismissiveness of bowlers was what made him so special.

SeamUp

International Coach
Arguably Garth Le Roux and Big Vine were the 2 best fast bowlers never to have played test cricket...

Vince van der Bijl
South Africa

Full name Vintcent Adriaan Pieter van der Bijl

Born March 19, 1948, Rondebosch, Cape Town, Cape Province

Current age 62 years 22 days

Major teams Middlesex, Natal, Transvaal

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm fast-medium

Relation Grandfather - VA van der Bijl, Great-uncle - VAW van der Bijl, Father - PGV van der Bijl
Vintcent Adriaan Pieter van der Bijl

Bowling averages
Mat wkts Ave
First-class 156 767 16.54
List A 92 132 18.06
Career statistics
First-class span 1967/68 - 1982/83
List A span 1969/70 - 1982/83

Vintcent van der Bijl was one of the best bowlers not to play Test cricket, his entire career spanning the years of South Africa's sporting isolation (although he was chosen for the squad which for the cancelled tour of Australia in 1971-72). In his pomp he was probably the leading fast-medium bowler in the world, combining awesome accuracy with deceptive pace and bounce (as expected from a man of 6ft 7½in) as well as a stamina which belied his size. His appearance was deceptive (he was described by John Arlott as looking like Lord Longford "only not nearly as forgiving") and he remained fit throughout his career, even developing into a surprisingly sound fielder and useful tail-end hitter. His performances throughout the 1970s for Natal were legendary - he held numerous records, including most wickets for Natal, most wickets in a South African season (65), most wickets by any South African bowler, and most wickets in domestic one-day competitions.

By 1980 he was in the twilight of his career and had just given up teaching (he was never a professional cricketer) and gone into business when he was offered a chance to play for Middlesex. His new employers gave him six months off to allow him to fulfil the dream of playing outside South Africa. Unknown to many, he made an immediate impact with a resurgent Middlesex side led by Mike Brearley, helped by his new-ball partner, Wayne Daniel, who had been expected to be absent with the touring West Indies. van der Bijl ended with 85 wickets at 14.72 apiece, finishing virtually top of the first-class bowling averages. He made a massive contribution to Middlesex's victories in the Schweppes County Championship and the Gillette Cup. Hugely popular, he returned for a one-off appearance for them against MCC in 1981. "Most of all he brought, Wisden wrote, "a breath of fresh air with his immense enthusiasm, his love of playing cricket, and his bubbling friendship for other cricketers. He would have enjoyed it however it had worked out, and would have remembered it all his days. In the event, a lot of others, players and spectators, were to remember it too."
Martin Williamson

Garth Le Roux
South Africa

Full name Garth Stirling Le Roux

Born September 4, 1955, Kenilworth, Cape Town, Cape Province

Current age 54 years 218 days

Major teams Sussex, Western Province

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm fast
Garth Stirling Le Roux

Bowling averages
Mat Wkts Ave
First-class 239 838 21.24
List A 250 378 19.97
Career statistics
First-class span 1975/76 - 1988/89
List A span 1975/76 - 1988/89

Garth le Roux was a big, powerful fast bowler who was unfortunate in that his whole career fell in the period when South Africa were barred from international cricket. Aggressive and in-your-face, he possessed a good bouncer which he used liberally, and was a hard-hitting tailender. He made an immediate mark as a young tearaway, so much to that he was signed for World Series Cricket despite his lack of experience, and he also forged a very successful decade-long career in England with Sussex - in 1981 his 81 wickets took the county within a whisker of their first Championship. He showed what might have been in 15 "Tests" for South Africa against rebel touring sides, taking 59 wickets at 23.06. For Western Province his 372 wickets cost under 19 each, at a time when Currie Cup cricket was at its height.
Martin Williamson

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I know I might be biast because I am South African but what a team we would have had in the 70's and 80's. Since re-admission and twenty years onwards we have consistently been just behind Australia as the 2nd best side and even snuck ahead of them on ocassions but I really believe West Indies vs South Africa would have been a great battle in the 70's and 80's.

Our team going into the 70's would have lost only Trevor Goddard, Denis Lindsay and Peter Pollock probably. All 3 of whom were brilliant cricketers as well.

Probable team...

1. Barry Richards
2. Eddie Barlow (vc)
3. Peter Kirsten
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Lee Irvine
6. Clive Rice (c)
7. Mike Procter
8. Alan Kourie
9. Ray Jennings (+)
10. Garth Le Roux
11. Vincent Van der Bijl

In reserve there would have been Jimmy Cook who would have come in for Barlow when he retired. Ken McEwan would have come in for Lee Irvine.

In the bowling ranks Stephen Jefferies and the leg-spinner Denys Hobson would have been pushing for places as well.
What a side that would have been mate. Surprised though that you've gone for Rice as captain and Procter not even as his deputy. I'd always had the impression that Procter would have been a lot of people's choice as a World XI skipper during the 1970s, let alone for South Africa. Is this not the case in your experience?

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah mate that side would have been breath-taking. So many mavericks in that side like Barlow, Pollock, Rice, Procter and Le Roux which is something SA cricket has lacked in recent times ince Gibbs has gone.

With regards to the captaincy...it would most definitely have been between Barlow and Rice.

Barlow was the man who changed the face of SA cricket from being a side willing to try and keep up with England and Australia to a side saying we're better than you and then gone out there on the pitch and played in that manner. SA cricket could be seen as conservative at times and thats why they chose Ali Bacher as captain ahead of him in the late 1960's. He would have risked a defeat to try and win a game. The man was an inspiration on and off the pitch.

On the other hand Clive Rice was more the thinking-mans cricketer who had a broad knowledge of the game and wasn't as instinctive as Barlow but was still a naturally born leader and most probably would have been the favourite to captin the side. He lead the famous 'Mean Machine Transvaal' side while Barlow turned Western Province cricketers from no hopers to annual Currie Cup contenders.

Proccie would have been a good leader too but I guess you could say he was beind two brilliant leaders.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah mate that side would have been breath-taking. So many mavericks in that side like Barlow, Pollock, Rice, Procter and Le Roux which is something SA cricket has lacked in recent times ince Gibbs has gone.

With regards to the captaincy...it would most definitely have been between Barlow and Rice.

Barlow was the man who changed the face of SA cricket from being a side willing to try and keep up with England and Australia to a side saying we're better than you and then gone out there on the pitch and played in that manner. SA cricket could be seen as conservative at times and thats why they chose Ali Bacher as captain ahead of him in the late 1960's. He would have risked a defeat to try and win a game. The man was an inspiration on and off the pitch.

On the other hand Clive Rice was more the thinking-mans cricketer who had a broad knowledge of the game and wasn't as instinctive as Barlow but was still a naturally born leader and most probably would have been the favourite to captin the side. He lead the famous 'Mean Machine Transvaal' side while Barlow turned Western Province cricketers from no hopers to annual Currie Cup contenders.

Proccie would have been a good leader too but I guess you could say he was beind two brilliant leaders.
Fair enough, thanks. Fantastic to get the perspective of someone who saw these blokes first hand. :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Australia of the 70s would have been the third top team. Obviously they were trounced in that last series vs SA, but once Lillee and Greg Chappell came into the team, and they weren't buggered from a tour of India immediately preceding, they would have had some magnificent battles vs that SA team.
Yeah, I think it's undeniable that the 1970 Aus side bears minimal relation to what they became in the mid1970's once Lillee & Thomson were in tandem. I suppose top spot would be a close call between Aus & SA from 1974 to about 1977 and thereafter and equally close call between WI & SA. Not hat SA were interested in playing WI of course, even if they hadn't been kicked out.