• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Series Cricket Stats

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
These figures actually miss out the one-off Australia v World XI match held in NZ in 1978/79 - while I don't think it was called a "Super Test" for whatever reason, it was played under the same conditions and most records I've seen count this match in WSC records. Lillee, for example, is almost always credited in books and writings with 79 WSC wickets, rather than the 67 noted here.

I was going to post the scorecard from that match, but it seems to have disappeared from Cricinfo.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
****, Lillee owned.
Indeed - that 12/89 would rank as his best Test match performance were it counted officially. It's also worth noting Greg Chappell's performance in that match - given that it was a game where the bowlers utterly dominated from start to finish, his scores of 74 and 89 are incredible in context.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, didn't spot that. Chappell was freaking brilliant. Obviously, I wasn't old enough to know, but was he a boring or uninspiring scorer? Because a player of his record, seriously, has to be in every discussion in terms of "bests ever" yet seems almost peripheral.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, didn't spot that. Chappell was freaking brilliant. Obviously, I wasn't old enough to know, but was he a boring or uninspiring scorer? Because a player of his record, seriously, has to be in every discussion in terms of "bests ever" yet seems almost peripheral.
No way was he dull mate.

He was a graceful, almost effortless player. Got overshadowed a bit by Viv, who was more ***eh as he bludgeoned, but Chappell was a great, great player. Think Marsk Waugh squared and you've pretty much got him - same gracefulness but a much much much better player.

In my opinion anyway.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Chappell > Ponting IMO always been pretty adamant about it. Greg was really quite amazing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone ever done an analysis (or can anyone now be bothered to do an analysis) of how the WSC figures would affect the Test batting and bowling stats of those involved, if they were counted as Tests?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Hope that one day in the future (even 100 years away) the WSC games are given full Test status. Possibly the best exhibition of hard, skilful cricket between a bunch of cricketers considered some of the greatest of all time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hope that one day in the future (even 100 years away) the WSC games are given full Test status. Possibly the best exhibition of hard, skilful cricket between a bunch of cricketers considered some of the greatest of all time.
Also would give some of the great South African players of the time a bit more recognition.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone ever done an analysis (or can anyone now be bothered to do an analysis) of how the WSC figures would affect the Test batting and bowling stats of those involved, if they were counted as Tests?
It's been looked at here and there, by me among others. I did in a former life have quite a large spreadsheet working out the career stats of players involved in WSC and RoW series and how that would affect their records if they were all counted. In keeping with greatness, a lot of the very best players actually improve their records whereas many others are reduced. Greg Chappell is actually one of the biggest winners:

Official Tests: 87 matches, 7,110 runs at 53.86 with 24 centuries
All "full internationals" including WSC and RoW: 105 matches, 9,113 runs at 55.90 with 31 centuries

An already fantastic record - particularly considering the era in which he played - becomes even better.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No way was he dull mate.

He was a graceful, almost effortless player. Got overshadowed a bit by Viv, who was more ***eh as he bludgeoned, but Chappell was a great, great player. Think Marsk Waugh squared and you've pretty much got him - same gracefulness but a much much much better player.

In my opinion anyway.
This. A supremely stylish and elegant player, beautiful to watch. Phillip Derriman summed him up when he said that despite his grace, Chappell wasn't what you'd call a "flair" player prone to belting the cover off the ball or looking as though he was on the attack - he always seemed quite cold-blooded and constantly keeping himself in check, even when he was scoring at a run a minute, and was surely one of the few players in history who could look sedate while actually tearing an attack apart.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hadlee!! And Rice and Snow reckon the World XI had one helluva attack.
I'm not saying it was a poor attack, but Snow was a few years past his best and Hadlee wasn't as good as he would later become. Neither at that point in time were a patch on Lillee at the absolute epak of his powers. Either way, Greg Chappell was one heck of a batsman though.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A few others:

DK Lillee
Official Tests: 70 matches, 355 wickets at 23.92, S/R 52.0 BBI 7/83 BBM 11/123
All "full internationals" including WSC and RoW: 89 matches, 458 wickets at 23.72, S/R 50.4 BBI 8/29 BBM 12/89

So Lillee's average doesn't improve by much, but the volume of wickets, strike rate and best bowling performances all improve significantly.

Imran Khan
Official Tests: 88 matches, 3,807 runs at 37.69 and 362 wickets at 22.81, S/R 53.8
All "full internationals" including WSC: 93 matches, 3,934 runs at 36.76 and 387 wickets at 22.68, S/R 52.9

Imran goes half-and-half - his batting average declines, but his bowling stats improve.

Viv Richards
Official Tests: 121 matches, 8,540 runs at 50.23 with 24 centuries
All "full internationals" including WSC: 135 matches, 9,821 runs at 50.89 with 28 centuries

Viv's numbers improve, but not quite to the level that GSC's did.

Michael Holding
Official Tests: 60 matches, 249 wickets at 23.68, S/R 50.9 BBI 8/92 BBM 14/149
All "full internationals" including WSC: 69 matches, 284 wickets at 23.61, S/R 50.1 BBI/M as above

Joel Garner
Official Tests: 58 matches, 259 wickets at 20.97, S/R 50.8 BBI 6/56 BBM 9/108
All "full internationals" including WSC: 65 matches, 294 wickets at 21.42, S/R 52.2 BBI/M as above

So Holding's numbers improve slightly, but Garner's decline by more than expected - though they remain outstanding.