• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Intimidatory Bowling in Club Cricket?

Langeveldt

Soutie
So I come to the crease on Saturday, collect a scratchy 10 and then the bowler decides to bowl four bouncers at about neck height to me in a row, i got hit in the fist, and then the ribs..
The pitch was fast and downright lethal, and the bowling was quick...
And then the usual yorker at the end of the over bowls me convincingly, i was not happy...

I know it depends on the league, but surely this is a bit off? Four bouncers in a row? The ECB says under eighteens must wear a helmet, but nothing seemed to stop this guy unleashing everything at my head, and its adults cricket...

Oh well there is always next week...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
What I did once after receiving a succession of bouncers in an over was to walk ALL the way to the other end and 'prod' the wicket at the popping-crease.

The fielding side and the umpire were pi**ing themselves with laughter - the bowler was absolutely furious.

I eventually got out to him (caught hooking) but I had the consolation of making him look like an idiot in front of his mates.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jacques Rudolph said:
So I come to the crease on Saturday, collect a scratchy 10 and then the bowler decides to bowl four bouncers at about neck height to me in a row, i got hit in the fist, and then the ribs..
The pitch was fast and downright lethal, and the bowling was quick...
And then the usual yorker at the end of the over bowls me convincingly, i was not happy...

I know it depends on the league, but surely this is a bit off? Four bouncers in a row? The ECB says under eighteens must wear a helmet, but nothing seemed to stop this guy unleashing everything at my head, and its adults cricket...

Oh well there is always next week...
I afraid that you have to come against this every week.... How old are you?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
What I did once after receiving a succession of bouncers in an over was to walk ALL the way to the other end and 'prod' the wicket at the popping-crease.

The fielding side and the umpire were pi**ing themselves with laughter - the bowler was absolutely furious.

I eventually got out to him (caught hooking) but I had the consolation of making him look like an idiot in front of his mates.
:lol: brilliant:lol:

pure brilliance. this has happened to me before, and I've done nothing about it. I'm glad you did that, would've made my day had I seen it. Anyway, did this guy dismiss you?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Intimidatory Bowling in Club Cricket?

chris.hinton said:
I afraid that you have to come against this every week.... How old are you?
Sixteen

Looks like even village cricket down here is dominated by cheating/sledging/gamesmanship these days... pretty sad situation.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you're a good enough player..you either try & get some bat on it & hit a six which generally makes the captain tell his bowler to stop bowling the short sh*t or when its your turn to bowl you repeat the favour..only if you're quick enough to bowl bouncers at the right areas though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO playing mind games with the bowler can make it worse..i.e. taking ages to set yourself up in the crease or continuously gardening down the pitch.

Thats when a bowler will really try & work you over with some short deliveries.

Its very difficult when you a face a bowler who's hell bent on trying to knock your head off but if you can tough it out, sooner or later he's likely to give you a juicy half volley or a short & wide delivery which you can spank to the boundary.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
:lol: brilliant:lol:

pure brilliance. this has happened to me before, and I've done nothing about it. I'm glad you did that, would've made my day had I seen it. Anyway, did this guy dismiss you?
Yes, but I hit him for 3 boundaries beforehand. I must have taken 2 or 3 on the body but to tell the truth he could have hit me with a train and it wouldn't have hurt (or I wouldn't have let him know about it anyway).

Eclipse

International Debutant
Apart from getting hurt bady and breaking a finger I have never had that much trouble with bouncers.

I use a lighter bat than most people so I find hooking quite easy and I usualy hit bouncers for 4 and occasionaly six.

thierry henry

International Coach
The scariest cricketing moments of my life probably came at the Auckland Under 19 trials in April 2002. I was only just turned 17, and to be honest I was a little out of my depth. I certainly wasn't the worst player there, but I was never going to make the team, and I only got a trial because our First XI coach was a little over-zealous and sent 2 guys from our school to the trials even though we are hardly a great cricketing school.

Anyway, I never owned a helmet, but thank God one of the people running the trials was able to find me one as I was walking in to bat. I was facing Auckland and New Zealand reps, and (by my standards) they were just far too fast, especially this one guy. He bowled me 2 bouncers, and I literally did not see them, and have no idea how I avoided copping one. It was honestly all I could do to take action in self-defence by sticking my hands up instinctively in front of my face and copping both of them on the gloves, which made me look like a complete idiot. Then the guy tossed one up and I don't think I had even considered starting to play a shot when my middle-stump got knocked over.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I don't mind the short stuff. A couple of hooked sixes usually stops the rot. I have been hit once on the jaw which caused just bruising. I batted on and the bowler gave me another one in the same spot. I got bat on this one and it bounced once about a foot from the boundary before going over. I was pretty rattled for the rest of the innings and got out to a very bad shot not too long afterwards.

I was lucky not to be hurt a lot more but I still won't wear a helmet. I just don't like it.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yea i thought i wasnt the only one afraid of the short stuff..

Im trialling for the n.harbour u-17's and once in my club game we faced the fastest guy ever.. i thought that was damn scary and now when i come to these trials..LOL all of them were faster than him, thats the fast bowlers..

And you cant say anything if they bowl 4 bouncers in a row.. cause you dont wanna sound like a wuss..

I hate it how they dont really have a limit, ive been hit once on the jaw and on the shoulder.. not a fun time..

But if they swear and say stuff i dont mind lol i enjoy it cause it gives me the chance to say something worse.. :)

Craig

World Traveller
Any bowler that has a brain when bowling to me should pitch it up on middle and leg because I have a weakness. I have recieved one beamer and it sailed past my head. No drama as it was nowhere near me.

I once recieved nothing but bouncer and ended up with bruised ribs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
lord_of_darkness said:
Im trialling for the n.harbour u-17's and once in my club game we faced the fastest guy ever..
But be fair, since Thommo is now over 50, he can't still have been that fast!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Helmets weren't employed when I played school cricket (don't know if they are now). I once took one of the face (it had rebounded of my gloves or the shoulder of the bat - can't remember). Caused a swollen lip that did. :!(

Also nearly s*** myself when I was bowled a slower ball which appeared to be coming straight for my head. I stepped away to leg and it clipped the bails off. :( Felt a bit stupid in a Chris Read kind of fashion! :rolleyes:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bazza said:
Helmets weren't employed when I played school cricket (don't know if they are now). I once took one of the face (it had rebounded of my gloves or the shoulder of the bat - can't remember). Caused a swollen lip that did. :!(
ECB Rule - All Juniors must wear helmets unless they have parental consent not to.

I have top edged a pull shot into my tooth before which snapped it in half. That hurt, that did.

Langeveldt

Soutie
today i got hit in the grille which proceeded to go into my eye socket (ouch)

I went up towards the bowlers feet to do some gardening, but nobody noticed, and then i had to sit down because I felt like i was going to collapse