• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Jamaica become a cricketing nation by itself ?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
The Jamaican team is head and shoulders above all other teams in the carib in the four day format and recently beat Ireland comfortably in a 50 overs game. Ireland which is suppose to be the best team outside the top 8.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The Jamaican team is head and shoulders above all other teams in the carib in the four day format and recently beat Ireland comfortably in a 50 overs game. Ireland which is suppose to be the best team outside the top 8.
Well outside the top you'd have to go for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe before Ireland...

But anyway I hope not because the West Indies would become a terrible cricket team, and Jamaica would still be right at the bottom of the Test nations.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In doing so it'd only make the West Indies weaker, and Jamaica would be at the bottom of the test playing nations, meaning it would really be a pointless exercise, and really not one made in the best interests of cricket in the Caribbean , let alone worldwidet.

Last edited:

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
In doing so it'd only make the West Indies weaker, and Jamaica would be at the bottom of the test playing nations, meaning it would really be a pointless exercise, and really not one made in the best interests of cricket in the Caribbean , let alone worldwidet.
I'm quite sure Jamaica would be doing alot better than WI is doing right now.

But what does it say for ireland ?

Jamaica will play Canada soon, so we will see how that goes.

They dominated Ireland in a threeday game aswell.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm quite sure Jamaica would be doing alot better than WI is doing right now.

But what does it say for ireland ?

Jamaica will play Canada soon, so we will see how that goes.

They dominated Ireland in a threeday game aswell.
I'm struggling to believe a Jamaican team, that wouldn't (to my knowledge) contain Chanderpaul, Bravo, Ramdin, Roach, Barath, Pollard or Deonarine could be more competitive than a West Indian team that has those players available, plus the best of the Jamaican team.

What does it say for Ireland? That they aren't a test team, and would struggle to be a force in domestic cricket in most countries.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Tasmania would touch up Ireland, but that doesn't make it a good idea for Tassie to compete separately from the rest of Australia.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What is up with the WI nations/fans deciding they'd make good teams by themselves? Last year it was T&T, now Jamaica. To be blunt - you guys don't have a great team even collectively as the WI as of now, splitting up isn't the best idea.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The WI combined aren't a particularly big force in cricket at the moment. Why would you want to weaken that?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More a question of infrastructure than short tem playing strength isn't it? As I understand things the entire WI struggles in that regard with coaching, lack of an academy etc. Could Jamaica afford and then administer all this by itself?

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Erm no they aren't :laugh:, T&T man for man are just as strong imo, maybe even stronger if they had their full team out, lets remember they could call upon...

Barath
Darren Bravo
Dwayne Bravo
Pollard
Rampaul
Ramdin
Imran Khan (the best spinner in the region right now)
Gabriel (a young pacer causing a lot of excitement in the Caribbean)
Simmons

So they've got many players with international experience, and as we saw in the champions league they can perform when they are in the mood.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
I'm struggling to believe a Jamaican team, that wouldn't (to my knowledge) contain Chanderpaul, Bravo, Ramdin, Roach, Barath, Pollard or Deonarine could be more competitive than a West Indian team that has those players available, plus the best of the Jamaican team.

What does it say for Ireland? That they aren't a test team, and would struggle to be a force in domestic cricket in most countries.
It's not talent WI isn't doing good today, it's the management team of Jamaica. Jamaica's youth programs are the best in the region and thats why Jamaica's national cricket team has been winning everything in the last 3 seasons of domestic cricket. Maybe the in the past it was the best idea to keep the combined Islands set-up in place but these days that isn't the best option. Especially when it comes to Jamaica.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's not talent WI isn't doing good today, it's the management team of Jamaica. Jamaica's youth programs are the best in the region and thats why Jamaica's national cricket team has been winning everything in the last 3 seasons of domestic cricket. Maybe the in the past it was the best idea to keep the combined Islands set-up in place but these days that isn't the best option. Especially when it comes to Jamaica.
Explain with a reasoned argument.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
The WI combined aren't a particularly big force in cricket at the moment. Why would you want to weaken that?
Gayle almost beat AUS all by himself. Guys like roach, and rampaul didn't have the best records when compared to Jamaican bowlers, and benn as a spinner didn't have more success than miller/brown etc from Jamaica. I understand WI selectors choose crap players and most you believe you always see the best from the region but that isn't true. For instance Roach has impressed alot of people but roach was around when baker was playing for West Indies. Roach and other bowlers were there when powell was still playing for West Indies. So people who don't know the talent and structure available in Jamaica shouldn't be quick to put the players down because WI isn't doing good.

When it comes to sports in general Jamaica is the best at all sports in the region, and Cricket is another area inwhich Jamaica leads.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Are you even a Windie fan? :blink: Jamaica's set up is good but i'm pretty sure most WI fans would agree that T&T's infrastructure is the best one right now, their youth system continues to produce talented youngsters every year, they've got a decent club league too that players from all over the Carrbean play in, and their board is extremely professional too.

shivfan

Banned
Erm no they aren't :laugh:, T&T man for man are just as strong imo, maybe even stronger if they had their full team out, lets remember they could call upon...

Barath
Darren Bravo
Dwayne Bravo
Pollard
Rampaul
Ramdin
Imran Khan (the best spinner in the region right now)
Gabriel (a young pacer causing a lot of excitement in the Caribbean)
Simmons

So they've got many players with international experience, and as we saw in the champions league they can perform when they are in the mood.
Trinidad are only better than Jamaica in ODI and 20/20 cricket....

Jamaica have dominated the game at the four-day level, while Trinidad have floundered in that format.

I believe the OP is just a hypothetical question. Unlike the Trinidadian cricket authorities, the Jamaica Cricket Association has made it clear in no uncertain terms that there is no question of Jamaica pushing to go it alone. But it's a good hypothetical question, IMHO....

Much has been made of Ireland's wins over Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in the World Cups in the shorter formats, and whether they should be awarded Test status. These matches in Jamaica show that Ireland still has ground to cover.

However, it would be interesting to see Jamaica playing bangladesh and Zimbabwe. I would tip Jamaica to win some of those matches!
:cool:

shivfan

Banned
Are we talking with or without Gayle in those matches v Zimbabwe and Bangladesh?
Hypothetically, of course, I would think of a Jamaica side including Gayle, Nash and Taylor....

But of course, it won't happen, because the Jamaica Cricket Association is committed to West Indies cricket.