Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who would be more threatening to Sehwag, Asif or Steyn

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Must be right up there in terms of how many guys he has bowled out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    yeah Asif is a replica of post 2000 Pollock but I think you are underrating Sehwag a touch here he may not move his feet but he still has good balance I don't expect Asif to trouble him on a flat deck infact I can see a lot of carnage.The only bowler who I see that can trouble Sehwag on a flat deck is someone who gets late outswing(Steyn,Hilfy) or gets extra bunce with good pace(Morkel).
    I just feel that Sehwag does get carried away with his off side drives and aggressive intent and a bowler like Asif who is known for deception and "out-thinking" the batsman is very well equipped in dealing with Sehwag.

I don't underrate Sehwag. This is the reason why i am comparing 2 top test bowlers going against Sehwag. What he did to the SA attack last series was only a confirmation of his batting abilities.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Watch this clip from 0:45 to 1:20: YouTube - Muhammad Asif Destroys Indian Batting

Turned like an offbreak. Amazing.

YouTube - Mohammad Asif 3 bowled in Karachi

@ Sehwag,
    'You could drive a tram through that bat and pad'.

Only bowler I've ever seen get consistent movement off a subcontinent track. Phenomenal.
    To be fair that Karachi wicket was not a flat track, a lot of grass had been placed on that wicket due to the criticism from the fitrst 2 matches. Its the match where Irfan got the hattrick. Yeah Pakistan piled on the runs in the second innings, but it wasnt a flat wicket.

One thing that has to be noted about Asif is that he is able to get the ball to cut in off the seam even off wobbly seam positions.

If you look at most of his in cutters off the seam, the seam is hardly ever straight. Its quite amazing how despite this he is always, almost on all kinds of tracks able to get the ball to cut in consistently time and time again.

To a player like sehwag who is always looking for room to thrash to the offside, its a perfect way to dismiss him.
    Last edited by mohammad16; 08-04-2010 at 07:53 AM.

But i thought usually the seam is scrambled + the wrist pushes the ball to bowl the off cutter.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    But i thought usually the seam is scrambled + the wrist pushes the ball to bowl the off cutter.
    Its not that kind of off cutter, what Asif does is move the ball in off the seam. Its not rolling your fingers on one side so the ball leg cuts or off cuts. To cut the ball in, the idea is to land the ball on the seam, and that is much harder to do with the scrambled seam. But yeah his wrist release is fantastic.

One thing about Steyn is his largest weapon is his late outswing. Sehwag stays nice and side-on to the ball all the time, which nullifies the effect of that outswing because he never gets squared up. He's more unlikely to be bowled neck and crop a la Vaughan or others.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    If the current issues don't cool down between Ind-Pak, we may never see Sehwag face Asif again in tests. Just an observation. Would be pissed off if this thread descends into India vs Pak because of this post.
    I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    If the current issues don't cool down between Ind-Pak, we may never see Sehwag face Asif again in tests. Just an observation. Would be pissed off if this thread descends into India vs Pak because of this post.
    Yeah well then don't bother trying to turn it into another ind.pak thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society

International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    Sometimes I get the feeling that Asif is lazy(not unlike myself), but when he keeps getting constant breakthroughs I somewhat feel injustice done to him on that behalf, and that sort of makes me feel that Asif is better than Steyn ever-so-slightly, if you really need a breakthrough quickly. Another feature of Asif is that he can get an old ball to swing quite a lot if there is anything in the pitch at all. But with the new ball, Steyn > Asif. And Steyn is slightly more durable that Asif at times, and against Sehwag you need two qualities, Wits and Patience, two of which Asif has. So to cut it short, I think Asif will be slightly more successful than Steyn given a slightly juicy track in the middle/end of an innings, and vice versa at the start, especially as Steyn fires them in with a hint of swing and a hint of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    You are right it will be very sad and its not Pakistan's desire for this to happen. We want to see another Karachi Test or another Chennai Test....

International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16 View Post
    WTFudge?? Asif overrated???

He hasnt played enough in all those years, he was banned remember?

Asif probably is the best flat track bowler in the world, this guys able to somehow get seam movement in any conditions.
    Yeah, for juicing.

Which subsequently puts his early career under serious question for me. Since then, hes lost a yard of pace, which makes everything he does slightly less effective. On his day Anderson is a better bowler for me, they both use good conditions about the same.

He's not that great a flat-track bowler either. Yes, he has a good cricketing brain, but thats pretty much it. His natural talent is mostly nullified on a flat track due to his recent loss of pace.

Still a talented guy, but no he hasn't proven himself yet.
    Last edited by NasserFan207; 09-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Yeah, for juicing.

Which subsequently puts his early career under serious question for me. Since then, hes lost a yard of pace, which makes everything he does slightly less effective. On his day Anderson is a better bowler for me, they both use good conditions about the same.

He's not that great a flat-track bowler either. Yes, he has a good cricketing brain, but thats pretty much it. His natural talent is motly nullified on a flat track due to his recent loss of pace.

Still a talented guy, but no he hasn't proven himself yet.
    In my humble opinion, Asif is a league ahead of Anderson.

International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    Great reasoning there Teja.

I rate Aamer far higher than I do Asif btw.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    No way is Anderson a better bowler, on their respective 'days' Asif is far more unplayable IMO. Anderson isn't much of a Test bowler at all unless its on his 'day', Asif would probably be close to edging him out on how he normally bowls without needing to have had a great day. Apples and oranges.

International 12th Man
    On there day, most pace bowlers will be better then Asif, because he only bowls 125-130kph. However, the great thing about Asif's bowling is that he rarely has a poor day, rarely has a day where he isn't bowling to the highest standard (In Tests) and that he is the only bowler in world cricket who can get the ball to cut off of the surface consistently. That's why he averages low 20's.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information