Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Next For Kevin Pietersen?

Where Next For Kevin Pietersen?

Cricket Web - Features: Where Next For Kevin Pietersen?

A look at one of cricket's real characters, Kevin Pietersen, his story over the last 12 months and what his future may hold .

Banned
    RR perhaps? A lineup containing smith, watson, warne and kp is truly lipsmacking stuff.

Just kidding. He'll be back. He's never the 55 plus averaging guy but will end his career with some really memorable innings and a 50 plus average.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    RR perhaps? A lineup containing smith, watson, warne and kp is truly lipsmacking stuff.

Just kidding. He'll be back. He's never the 55 plus averaging guy but will end his career with some really memorable innings and a 50 plus average.
    He should be. I'm really hoping KP kicks on, avoids injuries and starts scoring some serious runs again. He could very easily get his average up to 55 if he starts scoring as many runs as he's got the potential score. An average of 49.26 is a good effort, but if he ends his career averaging between 48 and 52 it'll have been a slight waste of immense talent AFAIC. I want him to go down as one of the greats of the era, which atm is looking unlikely.

Enjoyed the article as well btw. Was a good read.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 06-04-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    He should be. I'm really hoping KP kicks on, avoids injuries and starts scoring some serious runs again. He could very easily get his average up to 55 if he starts scoring as many runs as he's got the potential score. An average of 49.26 is a good effort, but if he ends his career averaging between 48 and 52 it'll have been a slight waste of immense talent AFAIC. I want him to go down as one of the greats of the era, which atm is looking unlikely.
    I think he should've a very very good head like Sachin or ponting to do that. So far he's not looked exactly their class, but who knows, he might just completely reinvent himself like ponting did in his mid twenties.

He's around 30 also right? Hmmm.... Looks like he need to push the pedal now or it could be too late.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post

Hmm, not sure. He's always hovered around 50 despite not achieving anywhere near his best in the eyes of most. So if he kicks on, then yeah, 55 is a reasonable estimate, IMO.
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Can't see him ending up at 55 personally. Would say he'd be 50-52, absolute tops.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Hmm, not sure. He's always hovered around 50 despite not achieving anywhere near his best in the eyes of most. So if he kicks on, then yeah, 55 is a reasonable estimate, IMO.
    Or is he reverting to the mean? I think that parallels can be drawn with Hussey. People do know better lines to bowl to him now than previously, and while he is good enough to combat it and still score well, I think that teams now have more than one plan for him, where they certainly didn't seem to when he first came onto the scene, and was moosing balls in different areas to anyone else in international cricket.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yeah can't see him averaging 55 at the end of his career, 47-52 IMO.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Oh, it's a possibility, but Pietersen has never had a 'purple patch' really. I've never dissected the stats in detail, but his average always seemed to stay around the 50 mark regardless. I guess it could always be that that's his capabaility - certainly not to be sniffed at but given the amount of times where he's completely got himself out you can't help but think he could average a bit more. I personally don't think he really compares to Hussey in that way.

International 12th Man
    He doesn't play on enough flat tracks or in a good enough batting lineup to average 55 like some other batsman do.

Oh, then hell be a FTB, like those "other" batsmen!
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

To average 55 he'll bascically need to average 60+ for the rest of his career as he's already made 5000 runs @ a tick over 49. To get it back over 50 & keep it there will be an achievement IMHO.

Be interesting to see which way his career goes from here. Theoretically coming into his peak as a batsman.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Well he's got a real chance to get it above 50 this sumemr with home Tests against Bangladesh and Pakistan. This winter will be massive though, obviously the current Aussie bowling attack is not a patch on the one we faced last time we were down there but the Ashes in Australia is still the toughest series. Going to need KP to stand up again if we're to have a chance.

International 12th Man
    All of the very best modern era batsman have gotten their overall average over 58 after atleast 30 Tests played at sometime or another. Those being Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis and Hayden who are all a class above others averaging 50+ in the modern era. Pietersen is the next potential name that can join this list. It's a joke that that article is basically saying that Clarke is better then Pietersen. I'm Australian and I wouldn't rank Clarke close to Pietersen.

Don't think it does actually. I think it says that Pietersen's record is more comparable to Taylor's than Clarke's in recent years. Just saying.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information