• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers vs Brian Lara?

Garry Sobers Vs Brian Lara

• Total voters

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
i am surprised this poll wasn't conducted before because both of these batsmen were similar in different era's

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I must say you see a HECK of a lot of Sobers in Lara. Lara probably got his high back lift and play square of the wicket from watching Sobers himself.

having said that, I think Sobers was the pioneering batsmen who set a standard on which Lara simply expounded on and elevated it to new levels.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Its somewhat like comparing Kobe to Jordan, only that Jordan is still ahead in many respects, but both Sobers and Jordan were pioneers when it came to their style of play, a lot of which Lara and Kobe adopted.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Would have preferred the irrelevant third option of "here's a wall, bang your head against it", tbh.

Himannv

International Coach
Difficult one but I voted Lara. I'm a bit biased I reckon cause I always enjoyed watching him more than almost any batsman.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Assuming this poll is asking purely as a batsman. I can't say as I didn't see Sobers play, and there precious little to pick between them in their career records or the effusiveness of the praise from their contemporaries. Sobers maybe the slightly more consistent, and obviously had his bowling and fielding, which made him a vastly more valuable cricketer overall. As someone put it previously, Sobers was like having Lara, Vettori and Vaas all in one cricketer, and you could probably add Michael Clarke in the field as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Assuming this poll is asking purely as a batsman. I can't say as I didn't see Sobers play, and there precious little to pick between them in their career records or the effusiveness of the praise from their contemporaries. Sobers maybe the slightly more consistent, and obviously had his bowling and fielding, which made him a vastly more valuable cricketer overall. As someone put it previously, Sobers was like having Lara, Vettori and Vaas all in one cricketer, and you could probably add Michael Clarke in the field as well.
This

Craig

World Traveller
Hmmm... Garry Sobers was the greatest all-round cricketer ever. Was like four cricketers rolled into one, and Brian Lara is one of the greatest batsmen ever. It would of been interesting if Sobers played into today's era, and what he would be like in T20. He would probably be a God.

But I voted for Lara since I saw Lara play, and Sobers retired around 10 years before I was born.