• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers vs Brian Lara?

Garry Sobers Vs Brian Lara

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
He averaged 83 and 89 against India and Pakistan who were minnows in their time. Without them his average falls 49. Still good but he did a bit of minnow bashing.

Compared to Lara who has a more well rounded record.

Both are in my top 10 tho.
It's misleading to call India and Pakistan minnows in Sobers era.

Pakistan's record in Tests involving Sobers is a very competitive won 3 lost 4. Fazal Mahmood, the godfather of Pakistani pace bowling, played in all WI vs Pakistan Tests involving Sobers, taking 41 wickets @ 26.

Five of India's six leading wicket takers in Test matches involving Sobers were Bedi, Gupte, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Venkataraghavan. These are amongst the best spinners ever produced by India and four of them formed a famous spin bowling quartet.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
He averaged 83 and 89 against India and Pakistan who were minnows in their time. Without them his average falls 49. Still good but he did a bit of minnow bashing.

Compared to Lara who has a more well rounded record.

Both are in my top 10 tho.
Then you'd have to take out his stats vs NZ as well since they were minnows as well. Against Australia and England he averaged a more than passable 53.7 with 14 100s in 55 tests.

Slifer

International Captain
It's misleading to call India and Pakistan minnows in Sobers era.

Pakistan's record in Tests involving Sobers is a very competitive won 3 lost 4. Fazal Mahmood, the godfather of Pakistani pace bowling, played in all WI vs Pakistan Tests involving Sobers, taking 41 wickets @ 26.

Five of India's six leading wicket takers in Test matches involving Sobers were Bedi, Gupte, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Venkataraghavan. These are amongst the best spinners ever produced by India and four of them formed a famous spin bowling quartet.
India certainly weren't minnows. They won series away in England and WI during Sobers' time.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
It's misleading to call India minnows in Sobers era. Five of India's six leading wicket takers in Test matches involving Sobers were Bedi, Gupte, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Venkataraghavan. These are all amongst the best spinners ever produced by India and four of them formed a famous spin bowling quartet.
Being the India's best bowler is not a big deal. Bumrah only has 128 wickets and he is our best bowler ever.

Anyway, Kumble, Ashwin and Jadeja are better than them.

Then you'd have to take out his stats vs NZ as well since they were minnows as well. Against Australia and England he averaged a more than passable 53.7 with 14 100s in 55 tests.
Yes Sobers was good but Lara was better

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
lol... there are only two batsmen I vote ahead of Lara in these polls.. Bradman and Sobers.
Why though? While i rate Lara as the 2nd best bat, there are many good arguments for Sachin, Viv, Hobbs Gavaskar even Smith being better than him but Sobers is definetly not one of them. He mostly batted at 6 and didn't face that many great bowlers.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah... I only rate Bradman and Sobers above Lara. All the rest you mentioned are easily below him for me as test batsmen.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not sure who was better but watching Sobers youtube clips is just love. I dont think i have seen a better combination of grace/flair/technique.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Why though? Why i rate Lara as the 2nd best bat, there are many good arguments for Sachin, Viv, Hobbs Gavaskar even Smith being better than him but Sobers is definetly not one of them. He mostly batted at 6 and didn't face that many great bowlers.
Sobers averaged 60.62 when he batted at no.5 or above, and scored around 60% of his runs at these positions. His great average is in spite of batting at 6, not because of it.

Also, others you mentioned did not have the workload of bowling an insane 40 overs per match, hence could focus on their batting alone. One more reason why I rate Sobers as the best ever batsman after Bradman. A unique cricketer in history whichever way you look at it.