• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The no stats thread

I like the cut of his cloth

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
They were formed in Aus and had in their time 5 Aussie members as opposed to 3 Kiwis. Still, back on topic........
Love that a guy from Lancs is trying to argue with an Aussie who in a rare moment of magnamity tried acknowledge a Kiwi achievement! :)

Agent TBY

International Captain
And apologies to Agent TBY.
Haha, I was about to make a long-ass post about viewership ratings and attendance figures, and about keepers standing up to the wicket for the spinners that Waugh faced, but then I saw you edited your post. :(

bagapath

International Captain
missed zaremba's original post. too bad it is gone.

that charlie mccartney anecdote is too good sean. WAG indeed

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
They were formed in Aus and had in their time 5 Aussie members as opposed to 3 Kiwis. Still, back on topic........
Five Aussies?

Seymour
Hester
Jones
Hooper

Other members:
Neil Finn (NZ)
Tim Finn (NZ)
Eddie Rayner (NZ)
Mark Hart (US)
Matt Sherrod (US)

Regardless, Crowded House was nothing without Finn. The sum total of Hester's songwriting was such genius as Italian Plastic, Skin Feeling and My Telly's Gone Bung. Hardly world-changing...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
We've gone OT I know, but I'd like to take this opportunity to express my complete and utter loathing of Crowded House. Dreadful whiny guitar-jangly MOTR pap.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Five Aussies?

Seymour
Hester
Jones
Hooper

Other members:
Neil Finn (NZ)
Tim Finn (NZ)
Eddie Rayner (NZ)
Mark Hart (US)
Matt Sherrod (US)

Regardless, Crowded House was nothing without Finn. The sum total of Hester's songwriting was such genius as Italian Plastic, Skin Feeling and My Telly's Gone Bung. Hardly world-changing...
Okay then, 4-3 to Australia. :laugh:. But they were formed in Melbourne.

archie mac

International Coach
There's a great story from one of his contemporaries of the 1920s (I've had a mental blank and can't remember who) about going out to bat with Macartney on the morning of a match. Charlie was taking strike and as they walked out quietly leant in and told him to be ready on the first ball. This player assumed the G-G meant for him to be ready for the quick single, so he was alert and poised to take off for the run. Macartney then smashed the very first ball of the day straight back down the pitch sending the bowler, umpire and Macartney's partner sprawling sideways to avoid it. Charlie walked up to his non-striker, tapped his brow and said "Always aim the first ball back at the bowlers head. They don't like it, it rattles 'em. After that you can do what you like."

WAG.
Great story, it was Jack Fingleton when he was a youngster and GG was retired from FCC. Years later Parkinson rewrote the story and it was this one that I love the most:)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great story, it was Jack Fingleton when he was a youngster and GG was retired from FCC. Years later Parkinson rewrote the story and it was this one that I love the most:)
Ah so Fingleton was the player was he? I knew that Fingleton had told this story later on but I didn't realise he had been the batsman himself!