• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The no stats thread

I like the cut of his cloth

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, 7 of 9 Australian voters have voted for Mark Waugh. They also form 7/9th of Waugh's total vote bank.

Talk about biased. Also, the only reason I can think of for Chappell not getting any votes is that the Aussies don't want to split their vote. They put all their eggs in Waugh's basket just so they could win another poll.

So ****ing pathetic.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The irony of all the piss-taking, is that you're acheiving exactly the same result as those whom you're taking the micky of, albeit in a slighty different manner. Same goes for Matt/G-S earlier in the thread, whilst it's all fun and games, in the same way bickering adds nothing to the thread, neither does 6-7 posts in a row of mock arguments.

Back on topic please

Agent TBY

International Captain
The irony of all the piss-taking, is that you're acheiving exactly the same result as those whom you're taking the micky of, albeit in a slighty different manner. Same goes for Matt/G-S earlier in the thread, whilst it's all fun and games, in the same way bickering adds nothing to the thread, neither does 6-7 posts in a row of mock arguments.

Back on topic please
You're Aussie, your post doesn't count.

Okay fine, I'll go quietly. :ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I might have voted for Chappell rather than Waugh if I was old enough to have seen Chappell bat. The OP asked for which batsmen you most enjoyed watching - its probably not surprising that people tend to remember those they've seen the most. Given the demographics here, Archie could have listed Victor Trumper, the result would be the same - most of us would not actually know firsthand what he was like to watch.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Lara from the list. Disagree with comments earlier in the thread...love watching Katich bat, as well as guys like Chanderpaul and Collingwood. More conventionally, Stephen Fleming was a joy to watch in full flow, Michael Slater too. Echo Jono's comments on Ganguly and add Dravid to my expanding list.

archie mac

International Coach
I am little surprised at the poll results so far, VVS 3 votes to Greg Chappel 0 and Azhar only 1 ? Sorry Archie had to throw little bit of stat. ;)
I will let you go with a warning this time:ph34r:

Lara is now looking good; is that a pun?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Another player I loved watching was Graham Thorpe. He's much maligned and is considered by some to have been a sort of play-it-ugly Paul Collingwood-type nurdler but in fact he had a wonderfully compact style and a very straight bat.

To my eye few batsmen have ever looked quite so at home in their stance, if that makes any sense.

Not of the same type as the others mentioned here, obviously.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Batsmen from the past that I'd love to have seen in full flow:

Victor Trumper
Alan Kippax
Frank Woolley
Wally Hammond
Ranji

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Will do.

Lara for me was exciting to watch, but not beautiful. Don't know that I can explain the difference better. For me personally, with batting, beauty is most displayed in the apparently idolent. Guys like Waugh and Gower rather than Lara or Sachin. I'm not criticising how the latter two bat, or saying that they aren't effortless, but I can't really explain it better.
Agree with this. To me, Lara was brilliant to watch in the same kind of dynamic and explosive way that Viv was, without actually being classically beautiful in style.

Of those listed I'd probably go with Waugh, just, primarily because I saw more of him - Gower, GSC, Azhar and VVS were/are all wonderful though, as was Zaheer Abbas from my early days of watching cricket.

Would love to have been able to witness the likes of Trumper, Ranji, Woolley and Kippax to see how they compared to these blokes.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Good list, I might add

Spooner
Tyledsley
Archie Jackson
Norm O'Neil
Polly C
Great call on Jackson, can’t believe I forgot him!

Was O’Neil an especially stylish or “beautiful” player? I know he was a dazzling strokeplayer and amazing to watch in full flow, but I suppose I’d always envisaged him as a dynamic, Lara-esque stroke maker rather than an effortless stylist.