• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The no stats thread

I like the cut of his cloth

• Total voters

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With classical batters like Waugh or Vaughan one admired the execution, but with Lara it was more like "Huh; how has he done that?"
Feel a similar reaction when watching Sehwag these days even if he is not as aesthetically pleasing as Lara, he is the only batsman that makes me laugh when I watch him bat, stupid player.

Pietersen at his best is similar as well in provoking 'how has he done that' reaction, has Pietersen played the best innings I have ever seen live. (although John Crawleys hundred againt Cardiff university was the best looking, was hilariously easy)

For sheer beauty for me though it is VVS or Damien Martyn but I hope Duminy makes at least one run again in his career because the small amount of good stuff I have seen from him is wonderfull.

Having said all that though if I had to choose one player to watch it would still be Sachin.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Gower - yes it's a biased pro-English vote but it's just a straightforward fact that the guy was literally beautiful to watch. Mark Waugh was similar in the effortlessness of his play and the sweetness of his timing, but somehow Gower had even more fluidity and elegance in his play. Quite extraordinary to watch.

The current player who I find best to watch is Sangakkara. He has a lot of the Gower elegance but (to my far-from expert eye) he also has a pleasingly sound technique - he looks more solid that Lubo ever did.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Im gonna say Gower as well .. he looked good to watch generally lefties same how always look good but Gower was well above the average lefty also he had this like real laid back look like nothing fazed him...

Pothas

Gower - yes it's a biased pro-English vote but it's just a straightforward fact that the guy was literally beautiful to watch. Mark Waugh was similar in the effortlessness of his play and the sweetness of his timing, but somehow Gower had even more fluidity and elegance in his play. Quite extraordinary to watch.

The current player who I find best to watch is Sangakkara. He has a lot of the Gower elegance but (to my far-from expert eye) he also has a pleasingly sound technique - he looks more solid that Lubo ever did.
Yeah Sangakkara is great, Dravid is an understated pleasure as well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I liked watching Ganguly when in form. Some of his off side shots were brilliantly timed.
True. His off side play through covers was great to watch.

All those listed were so good to watch. I must say I enjoy watching Michael Clarke atm (not in LO cricket obviously), more so for his play of spinners. He reminds me a little of Slater - very quick on his feet, with a little M Waugh-ishness with the way he clips the ball to leg as well

Last edited:

Johnners

Of those listed, I found Lara the most pleasing to watch (despite the fact that it generally meant he was hammering an Australian attack if I was watching it).

These days I can't get enough of seeing Clarke/Watto at the crease (in test matches).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Looked up the word 'glorious' in the dictionary, had a link to the above YT of Azhar's knock. Wow.
Was reading one of Azhar's interview where he noted Greg Chappell as his fav. batsman and his role model. No wonder he wanted to bat like Chappell and he did for most part.

JBH001

International Regular
Who was the most ascetically pleasing batsman?

Who was the most ascetically pleasing batsman?

No stats allowed in this thread, so if you want to talk about player “A” having trouble with left arm spinners who eat coco pops for breakfast, with appropriate graphs to support the most commonly consumed breakfast cereal,as compared to player “B” who scored 3% less runs over his career whenever he put his right pad on first,

Then go find a STR thread and derail that please:happy:
I dont know Archie, they all look well fed and healthy to me. :ph34r: :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am little surprised at the poll results so far, VVS 3 votes to Greg Chappel 0 and Azhar only 1 ? Sorry Archie had to throw little bit of stat. ;)

Pothas

Guess it is because not many would have seen much of him apart from hilights. Voted VVS really because I have seen him the most.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well for some reason I really dont put VVS anywhere close to guys like Mark Waugh, Azhar, Zaheer and Chappel. Infact I find his batting quite ugly and streaky.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to vote Waugh but that century was awesome.
His knock in Adelaide in '91 was just as good once he got past a scratchy start (better in some ways; the Aussies didn't feed his strengths quite as much as the Kiwis did). Took a great ball and very sharp catch to get rid of him or India might well have won that game. Azhar's luck in that series was unspeakably bad, actually. Basically any slight sniff of a chance he gave, no matter how ludicrous, the Aussies took. Was awesome to see such a great player in full flow at least once in the series.

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
Haha, 7 of 9 Australian voters have voted for Mark Waugh. They also form 7/9th of Waugh's total vote bank.

Talk about biased. Also, the only reason I can think of for Chappell not getting any votes is that the Aussies don't want to split their vote. They put all their eggs in Waugh's basket just so they could win another poll.

So ****ing pathetic.

Riggins

International Captain
Haha, 7 of 9 Australian voters have voted for Mark Waugh. They also form 7/9th of Waugh's total vote bank.

Talk about biased. Also, the only reason I can think of for Chappell not getting any votes is that the Aussies don't want to split their vote. They put all their eggs in Waugh's basket just so they could win another poll.

So ****ing pathetic.
You don't really help the integrity of the poll by voting for a baseballer yourself though.