• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The no stats thread

I like the cut of his cloth

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
When I was a really little kid, Junior was the one batsman I always wanted to watch.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Archie - this thread is a joke. You've listed batsmen who average only 42 and who were owned on non-roads like Waugh in Sri Lanka! Greg Chappell would only average around 40 today if he had to play against professional quick bowlers who bowl at 150kph.

If you break up VVS' record, he's consistently been owned on pitches with a bit of life in it. Sure he bashes a big score on a ROAD in Calcutta, but he averages on 34 against England and 37 vs South Africa :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 8-) :wacko:

That's why Lara is the second best batsman in the world! :cool: :kicking:

Matt79

Global Moderator
:p

I'll just say that of those listed who've I've seen, Mark Waugh was the most enjoyable to watch, but I'd have loved to watch Chappell and Gower more. ;)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Archie - this thread is a joke. You've listed batsmen who average only 42 and who were owned on non-roads like Waugh in Sri Lanka! Greg Chappell would only average around 40 today if he had to play against professional quick bowlers who bowl at 150kph.

If you break up VVS' record, he's consistently been owned on pitches with a bit of life in it. Sure he bashes a big score on a ROAD in Calcutta, but he averages on 34 against England and 37 vs South Africa :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 8-) :wacko:

That's why Lara is the second best batsman in the world! :cool: :kicking:
excuse me but i dspute this statistic nit-picking of both Waugh and VVS. I don't believe you. Please provides numbers which include subcontinent v away then this average halved by the number of spinners in each team while subtracting any spinners that average over 28, except when they're away, so in that case you need to provide an away v home average for all subcontinent spinners while also taking in their ability to play performing matches against major test playing nations in away series, not including dead rubbers. Furthermore, since averages have become inflated since the late 90s, I believe an accurate representation of those two players averages can further be calculated by adjusting 0.007% of their average runs by year according to the highest wicket taker of the years average and the strike rate of said bowler, while also considering pitches, assisting bowlers in his team, bad umpires and great batsmen

PONTING SUCKS :Jumpy:

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looked up the word 'glorious' in the dictionary, had a link to the above YT of Azhar's knock. Wow.

Matt79

Global Moderator
excuse me but i dspute this statistic nit-picking of both Waugh and VVS.
The averageness of VVS is clear to all to see, if you look at it properly. If you remove the periods where he shouldn't have been selected because his aunt was sick, or the matches he played with an ingrown toenail, you get a much more accurate understanding of his record. Plus I don't consider Bangladesh to be test class, and thus never count them.

I don't believe you. Please provides numbers which include subcontinent v away then this average halved by the number of spinners in each team while subtracting any spinners that average over 28
This impressive table begs to differ.

Code:
M    1            34            LBW 
M< 2          15           LBW
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
except when they're away, so in that case you need to provide an away v home average for all subcontinent spinners while also taking in their ability to play performing matches against major test playing nations in away series, not including dead rubbers.
Irrelevant.

Furthermore, since averages have become inflated since the late 90s, I believe an accurate representation of those two players averages can further be calculated by adjusting 0.007% of their average runs by year according to the highest wicket taker of the years average and the strike rate of said bowler, while also considering pitches, assisting bowlers in his team, bad umpires and great batsmen
Utter tosh, as shown in this Statsguru link...

PONTING SUCKS :Jumpy:
No he doesn't, but you think he does.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Going to vote Waugh but that century was awesome.
Azhar was a phenomenal batsman and IMO the most popular and Talented Indian player since Kapil until Tendulkar came. He is still one of my favorite cricketer of all time. Watching him bat in full flow was perhaps the greatest sight in cricket for me.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Did you log in without your sense of humour again?
Frankly all your posts have been junk in this thread. Infact all your posts lately have been junk and so is your humor.

I am sick of this continuous nonsense on CW which has been hijacked by some morons.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Frankly all your posts have been junk in this thread. Infact all your posts lately have been junk and so is your humor.

I am sick of this continuous nonsense on CW which has been hijacked by some morons.
My post describing how i voted for Waugh and how elegant his clips through the leg-side?

Get a grip moron. It's not as if I started it or derailed the thread. Was having a joke with another member of the forum while also contributing to the topic at the end. Thanks for another useless post from yourself though.