• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swann in drink drive arrest

Shri

Mr. Glass
What "good-bloke" image? Does he have to look pretty too for people to like him?

Maybe its a nationality thing, but getting caught for drunk driving over here is a fairly common occurrence.
Murder is a fairly common occurrence in the world too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What "good-bloke" image? Does he have to look pretty too for people to like him?

Maybe its a nationality thing, but getting caught for drunk driving over here is a fairly common occurrence.
Yeah, no. If you do it here you're almost universally accepted to be a ****.

Himannv

International Coach
Murder is a fairly common occurrence in the world too.
Drunk driving is not something I condone, but equating it to murder is over the top by any standards.

@Uppercut, fair enough. Its a crime here as well but far more common due to the fact that people can get away with it a bit more easily.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair enough, will retract whatever I've said if your right.

Yet even you've admitted he may be doing this blood-test thing, hoping for the alcohol to get out of his system,

I'm really a don't drink at all when your driving type of bloke TBH.
I should have said not guilty of any criminal offence ie driving with alcohol in his breath/blood/urine above the legal limit

That that legal limit in the UK is too high is a reasonable opinion and one which I certainly share - he must have failed the roadside test to be arrested - and he can't have "passed" in the police station else he'd have been nfa'd (no further action) rather than bailed

So even if the blood test comes back below the limit doesn't mean your initial reaction is an unreasonable one

My apologies - I suddenly saw a repeat of a bizarre argument someone raised about a certain Mr Stanford - I should have realised you weren't thinking like that :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Drunk driving is not something I condone, but equating it to murder is over the top by any standards.

@Uppercut, fair enough. Its a crime here as well but far more common due to the fact that people can get away with it a bit more easily.
What equating? A law is a law. You don't break it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I should have said not guilty of any criminal offence ie driving with alcohol in his breath/blood/urine above the legal limit

That that legal limit in the UK is too high is a reasonable opinion and one which I certainly share - he must have failed the roadside test to be arrested - and he can't have "passed" in the police station else he'd have been nfa'd (no further action) rather than bailed

So even if the blood test comes back below the limit doesn't mean your initial reaction is an unreasonable one

My apologies - I suddenly saw a repeat of a bizarre argument someone raised about a certain Mr Stanford - I should have realised you weren't thinking like that :)
The legal limit should be 0.

fredfertang

From what I recall the research shows that up to about 15 it has no discernable effect and there are medications which contain alcohol ( a lot of cold remedies for example) but I'd certainly agree it should come down to 15 - and that smoking behind a wheel should be an offence

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm so hugely disappointed if he turns out to be guilty of this. IMO this is a terrible thing to do. Rubbish :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I mean, why pick out what players do in their private lives and make a huge deal about it. Tonnes of normal people get caught for drunk driving everyday and no one says anything but if players do it, people get all worked up and say all sorts of rubbish about them.

I know its part of fame but seriously, they have their lives to live as well, let them live their private lives in peace.
To be fair, this isn't a case of him wearing his wife's knickers to get his jollies, which I'd agree would be no-one else's business but theirs; he's been bailed after being arrsted for a criminal offence. Doesn't affect his ability to play cricket but it does make him a bit of a **** (if guilty, etc).

pjilka

Cricket Spectator
I really don't care what cricketers do in their spare time (apart from certain things:ph34r:), but it is all about the sponsors these days so he may be in deep trouble.

Lets hope it does not go the way of Symonds and costs him his place in the Ashes squad, would be a shame, and we Aussies don't want England having an excuse for why they were thrashed this time:happy:
I agree to an extent, cricketers private lives should be private, but when you stop obeying the law, then it so easily becomes a public matter

archie mac

International Coach
I agree to an extent, cricketers private lives should be private, but when you stop obeying the law, then it so easily becomes a public matter
A tough one, I know if I am done for drink driving in my job I will be sacked:)

Flem274*

123/5
Everyone does stupid things at some stage. You do the crime, you do your time and realise what a dick you were and move on.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Talk about a dilemma :( I'm (or was) a big fan of Swann. But i'm also massively against drink driving (i think people should automatically goto jail for it).

So thanks Swann. Not just for putting yours and other peoples lifes at risk but also for never letting me enjoy watching you play cricket again without thinking what a complete arse you are (if guilty ofc) :@

grecian

Good stuff that most of us blightiers have gone against him. Jimmy seemed to try and make a light-heartef comment on twitter too,. 100 % wrong IMHO.

Swanneh was a **** here, his all-round awesomeness needs to be taken down a peg or two.