Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Captaincy; how important is it?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    They were older when they played under Ponting.
    True.

I think the most interesting numbers are actually Warne's, given what Warne thought of Waugh and Ponting respectively. Perhaps Ponting was more able to get the best out of Warne for whatever reason, in the same way that perhaps Waugh got the best out of McGrath, Gillespie, Gilchrist, Martyn and Hayden?
    Last edited by Furball; 03-04-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    ​63*

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Think it's very important. Regardless of talent a good captain can get a lot more out of his players and make more happen than a poor one. You see it at all levels.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

U19 12th Man
    Suppose you could point to the 1981 Ashes series as an example of the importantance of captaincy.

From different quotes, stories, stats, results etc my own opinion is that the difference between a bad captain and an average is greater than that between an average and a good captain.

And I guess the influence of a captain (good or bad) can vary from player to player. Maybe someone like Michael Hussey isnt as impacted by the captain than someone like Shane Watson.

Unfortunately you dont get a lot of comments and opinions form former players of their former captains. Sure, there is some - usually when theres bad blood between each other but there isnt a whole lot fo interesting or constructive analysis.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Captaincy is a big part of cricket. To me SCG Test of Pak v Aus is a great example of what bad captaincy can do....
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Captaincy is a big part of cricket. To me SCG Test of Pak v Aus is a great example of what bad captaincy can do....
    Pakistan since Imran retired is the perfect example of why captaincy is so important.

Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    Suppose you could point to the 1981 Ashes series as an example of the importantance of captaincy.

From different quotes, stories, stats, results etc my own opinion is that the difference between a bad captain and an average is greater than that between an average and a good captain.
    I think your second point is absolutely spot on, which is what I meant by my comment about it not making too much difference so long as they are above a certain level of competence.

1981's an interesting one. I suspect that it was as much about relieving Botham of the pressure of the captaincy as it was about Brearley's supposed genius in the role. I suppose the two lessons from that era are (1) don't burden the star all-rounder in a moderate team with the captaincy as well, and (2) make sure you don't captain the side against the best side in the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information