• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captaincy; how important is it?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Suppose you could point to the 1981 Ashes series as an example of the importantance of captaincy.

From different quotes, stories, stats, results etc my own opinion is that the difference between a bad captain and an average is greater than that between an average and a good captain.
I think your second point is absolutely spot on, which is what I meant by my comment about it not making too much difference so long as they are above a certain level of competence.

1981's an interesting one. I suspect that it was as much about relieving Botham of the pressure of the captaincy as it was about Brearley's supposed genius in the role. I suppose the two lessons from that era are (1) don't burden the star all-rounder in a moderate team with the captaincy as well, and (2) make sure you don't captain the side against the best side in the world.