• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ names squad

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I think the test squad is probably the best we can put out at the moment minus Bond & Cairns so no problems there.

However I still feel we are very light on batsmen in the ODI squad and this will probably count against us.

Andre

International Regular
Cheers Hoggy :)

Personally, I don't mind the look of the squad.

I'm glad to see Horne and Sinclair gone too.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I worked hard to get the squad before it was up on most other sites...I think only Cricinfo beat me to it.

I managed to get the news and post it on cricketweb ahead of nzoom.com & stuff.co.nz aswell so im quite happy with myself :)

Anyway..yeah I think these are probably the best possible squads NZ could send to India obviously without Bond so I guess they won't be able to use too many excuses should they fail badly in India.

Craig

World Traveller
Bloody Cricket Web servers. I had a message typed then I got a page not displayed rubbish and my message disappered.

NOT HAPPY JAN!

Sorry if this harsh, but I cant stop my fustration. :!(

For Mr.Pontings benefit, I had wrote that I couldnt believe Ian Butler was picked in the one day team because he goes at 5.80 runs per over. Sorry not good enough (Butler).

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
well looks alright..

although i would love to see bond giving the indian batsmen some contest..

Although now there is an element of suprise with India not having face Mason or Hitchcock yet, and i think both are good bowlers

Craig

World Traveller
Au Contrate Your Lordship Hitchcock played against India when India toured New Zealand last summer. He is very accurate with a rpo of 4.26.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
*phew* sinclair gone, now nz have a chance. i'm very happy to see him out of the side, his inconsistancy is terrible.:!(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Why did Horne go? re: Sinclair..some thing..both were hopeless with the bat in Sri Lanka.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Au Contrate Your Lordship Hitchcock played against India when India toured New Zealand last summer. He is very accurate with a rpo of 4.26.
Yes, Hitchcock is an extremely impressive ODI bowler. He seems to be a Mullally type bowler - accurate and effective, but not overly quick.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But was the Cricket Web article up at the time of posting?
Definitely.

Hoggy's link was posted at 4.10 am BST, Andre's apology to Tim in the staff thread for 'over-writing' his announcement was at 4.04 am BST (consequently it must have been on CricketWeb before then).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It was breaking news as they call it up.

I also noticed in the ODI squad that Chris Nevin is missing.

The word from caretaker coach Ashley Ross is that Fleming & Vincent will open with Astle at 3, because they believe Astle usually performs best when he doesn't have to face the first 5 overs of an ODI.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
The word from caretaker coach Ashley Ross is that Fleming & Vincent will open with Astle at 3, because they believe Astle usually performs best when he doesn't have to face the first 5 overs of an ODI.
They're banking on a long 1st wicket stand there! ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Knowing Vincent, he'll scratch around for 30 balls, score 10 runs and then Astle will try & come in guns blazing & spark a middle order collapse.

In saying that...in the WC when NZ defied South Africa brilliantly, I thought Astle batting a 3 was a good move.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The decision to include Hitchcock did come from leftfield..especially since they took Adams to Sri Lanka & not Hitchcock.

Its a matter of whether they want a player in India who can turn a game on its head with a quickfire innings and take several key wickets or a bowler who is almost deadly accurate who can mix it up & slow the run-rate down.

Now obviously most people would chose Adams, but he comes at the price of inconsistency and you never know he could play brilliantly for all the ODI's or completely bomb out.
Hitchcock is more likely to be consistent because he sticks to the basics.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
Knowing Vincent, he'll scratch around for 30 balls, score 10 runs and then Astle will try & come in guns blazing & spark a middle order collapse.
With such support, how can they possibly lose?;)