• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round table revisited, Lara the best batsmen of modern era

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Best batsman of modern era? Sachin tendulkar, Ricky ponting, Brian Lara

All of these guys put Lara ahead of Tendulkar, I doubt their minds have changed since then despite the 200 and all.

Personally I feel Tendulkar's been the best bat of the modern era, just barely slightly ahead of Lara and I say this purely due his consistency levels compared with Lara.

Without a shadow of a doubt however, I feel there isnt a batsmen in the world who could match Lara's genius and greatness when he actually got set and was in form. Absolutely ridiculous acceleration and domination of bowlers with such flare to boot.

The great thing about Lara is that he kept attacking throughout his career while Tendulkar changed his approach a few years back.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed. Though Lara's departure is at least recent enough for everyone to make meaningful comparisons.

Both are geniuses though. Both can play all the shots, each could destroy any attack on their day. I must admit I generally would go for Tendulkar based on his consistency, but Lara had highs as a batsman which probably none before him save Bradman have had.

Guess I'd say, if I wanted a banker - someone to back a thousand bucks on to score runs for me, I'd take Tendulkar. But if I had a thousand bucks and had to pay to see only one of them, on the proviso that they'd be at their best when I did, then I'd take Lara - just.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Well I feel its typical for the most of us to base our opinions on the here and now. I am sure when Lara scored 400, everyone around was jumping around considering him the GOAT of all time bar Bradman. Tendulkar scores 200 and the threads/topics and discussions start exploding out about him being the best. It is only human nature.

They are both tremendous players with such contrasting styles that should be appreciated and celebrating together.

It matters less who you put ahead of the other.

I just wish there was more Lara footage around on the web.... Man its so frustrating, is there anyplace where I can order some footage living here in Canada. I mean footage other than his 400 or 375.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will always rate Lara ahead of Tendulkar. Both are absolute geniuses though. Would make my all time XI, both of them.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I could quote Richie Benaud, Donald Bradman, Richard Hadlee and over 9000 other people but the truth is between phenomenal players such as Sachin and Lara, it is purely down to opinion.

But if people really want to convert this into an opinion fight, No other player apart from Sachin has been called 'God'. Barry Richards, Martin Crowe, Mathew Hayden however have called Sachin the 'god of cricket'. It can be seen in how high regard people hold SRT as some great ex-players have the deluded opinion that he is even greater than the Don.(Sir Richard Hadlee, SMG et al.)

He happens to be the only Cricketer of the modern era who is named in the Alltime XI of both the Don and Benaud and I respect Richie Benaud & Sir Donald Bradman's opinions more than Ravi Shastri, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell & John Wright any day of my life.

Also, this was conducted in 2006 when Sachin was in the worst form of his life since then, he has come back and how!

Zinzan

^ Except for the fact Chappell makes that very same point about Boycott almost every 2nd time he speaks

vcs

Sachin vs Mcgrath battle cut short by stupid decision of umpire. I saw on star cricket. The ball was going over the stumps. The same umpire turned down 4 lbw shout against langer who scored a double century.

From 1:48 to 2:48:)

YouTube - Aus vs Ind, 3rd Test, Sydney 2000 - India 1st innings

In that series out of 6 times dismissed he got bad decisions in 3.
Yeah, that one seems to have hit him just outside the line of off-stump and it's going over as well. Shame. The shoulder-before-wicket decision was the right one, though.

Sir Alex

Banned
I could quote Richie Benaud, Donald Bradman, Richard Hadlee and over 9000 other people but the truth is between phenomenal players such as Sachin and Lara, it is purely down to opinion.

But if people really want to convert this into an opinion fight, No other player apart from Sachin has been called 'God'. Barry Richards, Martin Crowe, Mathew Hayden however have called Sachin the 'god of cricket'. It can be seen in how high regard people hold SRT as some great ex-players have the deluded opinion that he is even greater than the Don.(Sir Richard Hadlee, SMG et al.)

He happens to be the only Cricketer of the modern era who is named in the Alltime XI of both the Don and Benaud and I respect Richie Benaud & Sir Donald Bradman's opinions more than Ravi Shastri, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell & John Wright any day of my life.

Also, this was conducted in 2006 when Sachin was in the worst form of his life since then, he has come back and how!
This.

I would add my routine line on them, 'One was infinitely talented, but never really could control it, the other is a bit lesser talented, but mastered it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin could average 70 for three more years and you'll always rate Lara better than him?

Can only truly judge when both careers are over. It's not as if Sachin's career stopped when Lara retired. You compare career vs. career.

At the end of Sachin's career one can say Lara was the better player. You may think that at this point in time Lara is. But saying "I'll never rate" just points out that its an unchangeable opinion based on bias.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sachin could average 70 for three more years and you'll always rate Lara better than him?

Can only truly judge when both careers are over. It's not as if Sachin's career stopped when Lara retired. You compare career vs. career.

At the end of Sachin's career one can say Lara was the better player. You may think that at this point in time Lara is. But saying "I'll never rate" just points out that its an unchangeable opinion based on bias.
This. People should also remember that SRT is in the second peak of his career and in top top form.

vcs

Sachin changed his game so much over his career. Lara always remained true to his flamboyant self, for good or bad. IMO, Sachin was every bit as good a stroke-maker as Lara until 2003, after which point he became more of an accumulator. I think that little touch of pragmatism separates the two.

vcs

I did not watch enough of Lara batting in his prime, but I did watch that 153* in '99. I remember it was after midnight in India and I was cheering madly for WI. :D Amazing knock.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Always saw the difference between Sachin and Ponting compared to the rest of the pack. Never saw that same difference with Lara.