• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round table revisited, Lara the best batsmen of modern era

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
is there a cricketweb cc program for blackberry? how do u read the forum on the move? I promise to remove this post once I get an answer. dont usually go anywhere other than cc. so asking the question right here.
On my iPhone mate.

Just checked: Lara has 6 not-out scores in 232 innings:

14* v Aus, April 1995
48* v Eng, June 1995
13* v Eng, March 1998
153* v Aus, March 1999
80* v SL, June 2003
400* v Eng, April 2004

I don't think the team-strength inhibited him since during the period where WIndies were the best or thereabouts he still didn't have many not-outs. It really is a peculiar stat; it's a glaring one, in a way.

bagapath

International Captain
I don't think the team-strength inhibited him since during the period where WIndies were the best or thereabouts he still didn't have many not-outs. It really is a peculiar stat; it's a glaring one, in a way.
if there is a way we could figure out how many times windies declared with lara in team or how many matches they won or saved on the last day then we can understand a little bit more of this. my immediate guess is they were probably not often in such positions of strength to enable lara to stay not out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And we wonder why the atmosphere in CC is like this?

Lara scored his runs in draws. Sehwag scored his runs on flat decks against mediocre bowling... Don't facts have a place in CC or understanding cricket such a big deal now??? 8-)

Athlai

Not Terrible
if there is a way we could figure out how many times windies declared with lara in team or how many matches they won or saved on the last day then we can understand a little bit more of this. my immediate guess is they were probably not often in such positions of strength to enable lara to stay not out.
Alright declarations with Lara in the team:

His scores in those matches:
751/5d - 400*
692/8d - 179
660/5d - 147
629/9d - 4
593/5d - 375
559/4d - 120
547/8d - 40
500/7d - 89
477/9d - 209
438/7d - 112
418/7d - 60
395/9d - 0
333/7d - 45
301/3d - 91
241/4d - 78
172/6d - 19

They seemed to wait for Lara to get out before they ever declared.

There are also 46 instances of WI winning or drawing in the 3rd or 4th innings when Lara was in the team.

In which Lara batted 39 times and has 5 NOs. 1629 @ 47.91 4-100s 8-50s

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just to check this against his contemporaries

Tendulkar has batted 64 times in the 3rd or 4th innings in wins/draws
20 NOs 2477 @ 56.29 8-100s 10-50s

Ponting has batted in this scenario 76 times
22 NOs 2810 @ 52.03 6-100s 14-50s

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
And we wonder why the atmosphere in CC is like this?

Lara scored his runs in draws. Sehwag scored his runs on flat decks against mediocre bowling... Don't facts have a place in CC or understanding cricket such a big deal now??? 8-)
Bit like Tendulkar boosts his average in Australia by scoring big not outs in draws.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will always rate Lara ahead of Tendulkar. Both are absolute geniuses though. Would make my all time XI, both of them.
Sachin could average 70 for three more years and you'll always rate Lara better than him?

Can only truly judge when both careers are over. It's not as if Sachin's career stopped when Lara retired. You compare career vs. career.

At the end of Sachin's career one can say Lara was the better player. You may think that at this point in time Lara is. But saying "I'll never rate" just points out that its an unchangeable opinion based on bias.
According to me, Tendulkar will be remembered as the best batsman after Bradman given the legacy he will leave once his career is over, whenever it is over.

However I will always rate Lara ahead and I'll tell you why. I have never seen any batsman bat like him. Firm determination (ex - test v Australia). Nothing working for him in an ODI v Australia. Bats for a period of time just to pass the time then woah he is on fire. Hits Warne for 3 (I don't quite remember if it was consecutive now) sixes. Lara in the zone is better than Tendulkar in the zone imo. He may achieve less compared to Tendulkar but then Allan Border achieved more than many batsmen but he is rated lower than a fair few, if you get my drift.

Both are made of pure gold, Lara just more shiny.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
I rate Lara as the best of modern time and Smith as the best opener ahead of Sehwag and Hayden.

_KiLLeR_

Cricket Spectator
Lara is better than sachin tendulkar ..... lara was the player to change the game's side ....... lara made 400* in tests and sachin made only 260 i think in ... no way to compare lara and tendulkar