• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Katich

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know he's clearly below Ponting,S.Waugh,Hayden and even Clarke but how would he compare to Taylor,Slater,Langer,Junior and also to your Martyn's and Hussey's.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
His not clearly below Clarke and his not better then Hussey.

He'd rank along the likes of Martyn, Clarke, Taylor, M Waugh.

He is slightly lesser then Hussey, Slater and Langer.

And of course his nowhere near Hayden, Ponting, S Waugh.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

He's

Makes me rage so hard when people do this. It doesn't even sound like his FFS.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
He's

Makes me rage so hard when people do this. It doesn't even sound like his FFS.
You must be unbearable to live with if petty little things like that bother you. Geez, sowway 4 noot bee'n a grammekal geeneus.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

And Hussey's categorically a better test player than Clarke how exactly? Surely there's not much in it between these two.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You must be unbearable to live with if petty little things like that bother you. Geez, sowway 4 noot bee'n a grammekal geeneus.
Don't need to be a genius to know the difference between his and he's. Generally, you need an IQ above that of your standard garden spade.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
And Hussey's categorically a better test player than Clarke how exactly? Surely there's not much in it between these two.
What Hussey was able to do/accomplish in the first half of his career completely nullfys any arguement of Clarke of being better then Hussey because Clarke has yet to show any signs of coming close to what Hussey did. He might before it's all said and done, we'll just have to wait and see.

Spark

Global Moderator
What Hussey was able to do/accomplish in the first half of his career completely nullfys any arguement of Clarke of being better then Hussey because Clarke has yet to show any signs of coming close to what Hussey did. He might before it's all said and done, we'll just have to wait and see.
What exactly did Hussey do except score a mountain of runs... which is basically what Clarke has done in the last two years or so, during which time Hussey completely lost his off stump?

---

Katich is probably the perfect opener for us to be honest. The up and coming openers seem to be exciting, naturally agressive and occasionally excessively attacking batsmen. Katich is a perfect foil for that. Despite him being 34 he'll play for a while yet.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't need to be a genius to know the difference between his and he's. Generally, you need an IQ above that of your standard garden spade.
Lol. "And young Geg squares the ball invitingly, an open goal beckons..." :ph34r:

Anyway, love Katto a lot. One of those typically Aussie batsmen who seems to know his game so well. His batting is never likely to win too many beauty contests, but my word you'd want him with you rather than against you.

I also respect him because after he was dropped he went away and forced his way back into the test team thru sheer weight of runs (most ever in an SS season IIRC) and because he lived the dream: grabbed Clarke by the throat. WAFG. :wub:

Burgey

Should also be said that it's a shame Hughes was punted, as he and Katto may have formed one of the more technicaly unusual and, tbf, none-to-pleasing-at-times-to-watch-bat opening combos in history.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
What exactly did Hussey do except score a mountain of runs... which is basically what Clarke has done in the last two years or so, during which time Hussey completely lost his off stump?
He was almost impossible to get out during his first 20 odd Tests, single-handedly pulled Australia out of trouble numerous times whilst batting with the lower order and was Mr. Dependable. He could attack if need be (with great success) and also anchor the innings if required. Hussey basically did everything what makes a batsman great.

Clarke on the otherhand, has come nowhere near doing the same thing apart from last years Ashes series and even so, England don't have much of a bowling attack. Clarke has had numerous opportunities to prove himself as great (like last years Ashes series when he scored a ton at Lords, but couldn't finish the job), but has generally failed.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was almost impossible to get out during his first 20 odd Tests, single-handedly pulled Australia out of trouble numerous times whilst batting with the lower order and was Mr. Dependable. He could attack if need be (with great success) and also anchor the innings if required. Hussey basically did everything what makes a batsman great.

Clarke on the otherhand, has come nowhere near doing the same thing apart from last years Ashes series and even so, England don't have much of a bowling attack. Clarke has had numerous opportunities to prove himself as great (like last years Ashes series when he scored a ton at Lords, but couldn't finish the job), but has generally failed.
Pretty sure he was our best batsmen in the home series against NZ and against the Saffers. And it's very, very, very harsh to say that Clarke was to blame for "not finishing the job" at Lord's, at that implies that we were at any stage looking like coming anywhere near finishing it.

If you're talking about his concentration issues about and outside off stump, I agree wholeheartedly that those are a real block on him moving up to the next level but I think he's on the way to fixing them (the guy is 28, Hussey himself didn't play 'til he was 30!). But to say he has "generally failed"...

Now I think we've derailed this thread enough. If we want to continue talking about this there's a thread somewhere around here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Should also be said that it's a shame Hughes was punted, as he and Katto may have formed one of the more technicaly unusual and, tbf, none-to-pleasing-at-times-to-watch-bat opening combos in history.
See, I'm pleased Hughes was punted myself; not 'cos I'm a complete prick as he seems thoroughly likeable young bloke, but his technique just really, really irritates me. Goes beyond "eccentric" and into "********" for me.

Kid must have an amazing eye to be as good with it as he is.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Pretty sure he was our best batsmen in the home series against NZ and against the Saffers. And it's very, very, very harsh to say that Clarke was to blame for "not finishing the job" at Lord's, at that implies that we were at any stage looking like coming anywhere near finishing it.

If you're talking about his concentration issues about and outside off stump, I agree wholeheartedly that those are a real block on him moving up to the next level but I think he's on the way to fixing them (the guy is 28, Hussey himself didn't play 'til he was 30!). But to say he has "generally failed"...

Now I think we've derailed this thread enough. If we want to continue talking about this there's a thread somewhere around here.
Clarke went missing during the away South African series. It is very harsh, but that was the sort've scenario that if Hussey was in back 2005-2007, he probably would've gotten us home with the win.

It doesn't matter what age you start playing because if that were the case then Hasan Rana would be one of the alltime greats.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke went missing during the away South African series. It is very harsh, but that was the sort've scenario that if Hussey was in back 2005-2007, he probably would've gotten us home with the win.

It doesn't matter what age you start playing because if that were the case then Hasan Rana would be one of the alltime greats.
Chasing 520-odd? Be realistic. Yes, he did go away during the SAF away tour as did Ponting - except for the very first innings of the tour where both made about 70-odd which was crucial in the context because otherwise we looked towards sliding towards Yet Another Collapse.

My point about age is that Clarke has time on his side. Hussey came in at what is generally accepted as the peak of the batsman's powers.

---

I don't know what to think of Hughes's techniques. It's oh-so-streaky but it quite obviously pays off. What's the guy's FC average, 60?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know what to think of Hughes's techniques. It's oh-so-streaky but it quite obviously pays off. What's the guy's FC average, 60?
Pathologically addicted to the cut, IMHO. With someone like Lara one had the impression he could play any shot to any delivery, but with Hughes he looks like he'll play the same shot to every delivery. He's like a batting idiot savant.

Ugly as hell (the technique, not Phil) which doesn't help either.

vcs

Not sure about Taylor, Slater and Waugh, but I think Hussey > Martyn = Langer > Katich. Very close though.