• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off-Season Thread (2010)

brockley

International Captain
Will post much stuff analysis plus rumours and theory.
Let it begin,aussie summer near done.
Gayle and kumar roach signed with western warriors.
Also pollard agreed to come back to redbeacks,rana tassie,dihlsan nsw,vettori qld,bravo maybe for vics dunno about taylor.
Heard a rumour matt johnston and theo doropoulos may play grade in melbourne next year,rumour from another forum,maybe they not getting a go and want a fresh start.
Anyway here starts the off season thread.
Interested where warner ends up his stocks are rising after a 100 in ipl last night.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Will post much stuff analysis plus rumours and theory.
Let it begin,aussie summer near done.
Gayle and kumar roach signed with western warriors.
Also pollard agreed to come back to redbeacks,rana tassie,dihlsan nsw,vettori qld,bravo maybe for vics dunno about taylor.
Heard a rumour matt johnston and theo doropoulos may play grade in melbourne next year,rumour from another forum,maybe they not getting a go and want a fresh start.
Anyway here starts the off season thread.
Interested where warner ends up his stocks are rising after a 100 in ipl last night.
What is your source on Doropolous and Johnston? What forum?

brockley

International Captain
The offending post vic.

Re: Theo Drop-olous
by embee Yesterday at 04:37

.Scored 169 not out in the 1st Grade Grand Final

Scarborough won their 4th in a row

Rumours that Theo and Matt Johnston will be heading east for next season (probably Vomitia)

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not sure if moving to Melbourne would enhance the career prospects of Theo and Matt. Move to Tasmania if you want a state gig as a batsman.

Not exactly off-season news, but annoyed I missed the Melbourne Premier Cricket final. Looks like Dale was in great form, does he still knock the bails off in delivery stride?

brockley

International Captain
Fair call noble.
Thread is what anyone wants.
Heard dale kittled stkilda.
I will just post rumours whether they true,rumour or not.
On matt johnston only played a handful of games for the warriors in 3/4 years,may undertand his impatience.
I am just hoping blues keep most their squad.

brockley

International Captain
On tassie the mercury ays travis birt likely to replace dan marsh in the first class side,but concede they are on a hunt for an opener,maybe they will look at nick kruger again who looks likely to lose his contract.

Beamer

Hope the WW dump Gayle, imo he is a liability.
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Gayle is a liability in Limited Overs cricket of any kind needs their head examining. I know he is not much liked on this board and with good reason, but he is an outstanding T20 batsman.

Andre

International Regular
Without wanting to tread on the toes of any mod's, can we please, please not go down this chris gayle / west indies path in this thread? There is enough threads already hijacked by this debate. This thread is always a very enjoyable one for aussie domestic followers of a winter and i'd hate to see it ruined. I know the bait was there, but sometimes we have to be clever enough not to take it...

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Without wanting to tread on the toes of any mod's, can we please, please not go down this chris gayle / west indies path in this thread? There is enough threads already hijacked by this debate. This thread is always a very enjoyable one for aussie domestic followers of a winter and i'd hate to see it ruined. I know the bait was there, but sometimes we have to be clever enough not to take it...
Completely agree.

Dale bowled 38 overs, 6/43 against St. Kilda, including the wickets of Quiney and Rummans. He's about 40 now, and his economy rate for the season was 2.06, as well as taking 42 wickets. He's still got it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Can I just say on Gayle, I was fortunate to be at the WACA when he made his debut and he looked anything but a liability when compared to his team-mates that night IMO.

Beamer

I completely understand, but I must defend myself and say I am not the culprit when it comes to sabotaging threads with stuff about West Indies youngsters:laugh.

I must confess I sometimes feel the need to defend Gayle on this board because he gets unfair stick and there are many laughable comments about him from people such as Streetwise.

Anyway, that's all I'll say on the subject. I hope WA perform a hell of a lot better than last year that's for sure.

brockley

International Captain
Aussie A play srilanka A,charmindia will be pleased,he may know who in the srilanka A team,series same time aussies in uk so no steve smith for aussie A's.

brockley

International Captain
2010 AIS-Centre of Excellence Scholars

Some of Australia’s brightest young stars have been selected to participate in the 2010 Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) men’s scholarship program at the Cricket Australia Centre of Excellence (COE) in Brisbane this winter.

Cricket Australia’s National Selection Panel (NSP) announced the AIS squad that will undertake an 18 week program including the Emerging Players Tournament, travelling to India for a training camp and visiting the AIS in Canberra.

The 2010 AIS scholarship intake is:

Nic Maddinson (NSW); 18
Jason Floros (QLD); 19
Luke Pomersbach (WA); 25
Nicholas Buchanan (QLD); 18
Mitchell Starc (NSW); 20
James Pattinson (VIC); 19
Nathan Coulter-Nile (WA); 22
John Hastings (VIC); 24
Luke Feldman (QLD); 24
Ben Cutting (QLD); 23
Nathan Brain (NSW); 18
Glenn Maxwell (VIC); 21
Ryan Carters (VIC); 19
Ben Dunk (QLD); 22

Centre of Excellence part-time scholars
In addition, CA also conducts a part-time program to continue to develop athletes on their pathway to the Australian Team. The list of part-time scholars largely contains athletes who have previously been AIS scholarship holders. The players listed below will attend for a 4 week period during the May – September period in addition to a competition phase.

Usman Khawaja (NSW); 23
Moises Henriques (NSW); 23
David Warner (NSW); 23
Steven Smith (NSW); 20
Jason Krejza (TAS); 27
Mitchell Marsh (WA); 18
Josh Hazelwood (NSW); 19
Jon Holland (VIC); 22
Peter George (SA); 23
James Faulkner (TAS); 19
Alister McDermott (QLD); 18

Centre of Excellence development scholars
A development scholarship program is also conducted for 4 promising players who will visit during school holiday periods

Alex Keath (VIC); 18
Sean Abbott (NSW); 18
Luke Doran (NSW); 18
Adam Zampa (NSW); 17

All the scholars outlined in the 3 squads will undergo a targeted development program at the COE at Allan Border Field under the guidance of the COE Head Coach Greg Chappell and his team of coaches including, Troy Cooley, John Davison , Brian McFadyen and David Fitzgerald. COE Sport Science and Sport Medicine staff will also be instrumental in delivering a high quality program to the selected athletes.

In addition, to further develop elite coaches in Australia, several state-based high performance coaches will also be involved in the COE program during this time.

A player’s weekly schedule will include a combination of cricket skills training, game scenarios, strength and conditioning training, injury prevention strategies, nutrition, recovery, sport psychology and various sport science related activities, with player career and welfare courses also included.

Commenting on the selection intake, National Selection Panel (NSP) Chairman Andrew Hilditch said:

“There is plenty of talent in the country and the AIS and part-time scholar list reflects this. The NSP is looking forward to working with COE staff to continue the players’ progress on their pathway.”

Commenting on the 2009 AIS program, COE Head Coach Greg Chappell said:

“I’m excited about this group, which has a good mix of under-19 young guns and experienced players with first class experience. The lists highlight the depth of talent in Australia and shows that the next generation of Australian cricket is in good hands. The emerging players tournament is the highlight of our program as it has been for a few years. The EPT will be the focal point of the competitive part of the program this year,” Chappell said.

Acting AIS Director Phil Borgeaud said he was proud of the significant role that the COE had made to the success of Australian cricket.

“Watching young cricketers develop and reach new heights is very exciting, and to know that the Australian Institute of Sport has played a major part in that development is a tremendous reflection of the program’s success,” Borgeaud said.

“The COE’s collaboration with AIS Sports Science and Sport Medicine, particularly in biomechanics and injury prevention, has been an important aspect of this development.”

“We are extremely proud of our record and tradition of producing talented cricketers who have gone on to excel at the elite level of the game.”

brockley

International Captain
Jacobs to lead emerging squad
April 01 2010 at 05:05PM Get IOL on your
mobile at m.iol.co.za

Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Thursday named Davy Jacobs of the Chevrolet Warriors as captain of the squad to take part in the Emerging Players' tournament in Australia later this year.

South Africa has a proud record in this tournament which also involves teams from Australia, India and New Zealand. Last year they won eight matches in a row before losing the final to an Indian side that included four players with senior international experience.

Jacobs has earned the honour of leading this team after captaining the Warriors with distinction to two of the three franchise domestic titles.

The Emerging Squad is an important feeder structure for the South African A side and the Proteas. Two of last year's squad, Heino Kuhn and Rusty Theron, have gone on to be capped at full international level during the past season.
Continues Below ↓

National senior coach Corrie van Zyl gave an interesting insight into Daryn Smit's future career direction by commenting that the Nashua Dolphins player would be used as a leg spinner only. In the past he has been used both as a wicketkeeper and as a spin bowler but the decision has been taken at least at national level for him to concentrate on one discipline. The SA Emerging Squad: Davy Jacobs (Warriors, capt), Craig Alexander (Highveld Lions), Ryan Bailey (Central Franchise), Farhaan Behardien (Titans), CJ de Villiers (Central Franchise), Reeza Hendricks (Central Franchise), Pumelela Matshikwe (Highveld Lions), Aaron Phangiso (Highveld Lions), Francois Plaatjies (Cobras), Daryn Smit (Dolphins), Jon-Jon Smuts (Warriors), Blake Snijman (Titans), Vaughn van Jaarsveld (Highveld Lions), Dane Vilas (Cape Cobras), Basheeru-Deen Walters (Titans). - Sapa