• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best cricketer in their side

Xuhaib

International Coach
Aus-M.Clarke
Ban-Shakib
Eng-A.Struass
Ind-Sachin-Sehwag its a tie
NZL-Vettori
Pak-Asif
SA-Kallis
SL-Sangakarra
WI-Gayle

IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As of the end of March 2010, I'd not disagree. But in 4 weeks' time I might well do. That's how fickle cricket can be.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pietersen for England? I'm not yet totally convinced that Strauss's recent resurgence will be a long-term thing.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
There is no way that Michael Clarke is Australia's best cricketer.

Ponting, Katich, Hussey, Watson, Johnson, Bollinger are all better.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is no way that Michael Clarke is Australia's best cricketer.

Ponting, Katich, Hussey, Watson, Johnson, Bollinger are all better.
He may not be likeed but as far as I am concerned Clarke is comfortably Australia's best batsman these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen for England? I'm not yet totally convinced that Strauss's recent resurgence will be a long-term thing.
Strauss' resurgence is already more long-term than Pietersen's slump (was?).

Also, it started nearly 2 years ago now and has been based on something which is clearly sustainable (a modification in his game) rather than something which is clearly unsustainable (ie, a purple patch of form).

As I say above, you never know what's around the corner in cricket and any player - I mean any player - can slump terminally starting with the next game he plays. But reasonable assumption must be that Strauss has a good few years ahead of him as a quality Test batsman yet.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
He may not be likeed but as far as I am concerned Clarke is comfortably Australia's best batsman these days.
No chance.

If I had to choose between Ponting and Clarke, with only one of them being allowed to play in the Ashes later this year, I'd choose Ponting without hesitation.

Pothas

So would most England fans.
Really? Over the whole career then obviously but don't think there is much doubt who was the better player last summer.

EDIT: just realised how stupid I was being then, agree with you obviously.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strauss' resurgence is already more long-term than Pietersen's slump (was?).

Also, it started nearly 2 years ago now and has been based on something which is clearly sustainable (a modification in his game) rather than something which is clearly unsustainable (ie, a purple patch of form).

As I say above, you never know what's around the corner in cricket and any player - I mean any player - can slump terminally starting with the next game he plays. But reasonable assumption must be that Strauss has a good few years ahead of him as a quality Test batsman yet.
Hmm.. IMO, he turned it around when he got those centuries in Chennai, so I'd say more like one and a half years. I see your point that he has ironed out some technical flaws in his game, I haven't watched him that much. I also think captaincy has done him a lot of good.

andyc

Agree with Richard here, would take Clarke over Ponting right now. Ponting's very hit and miss at the moment. Not saying he won't get over it, but that's how it stands as of now.

Would have Watto over either of them anyway, at the moment. Swann for England fairly easily too IMO.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Aus: Watson, easily.
I would agree with this at the moment. I am a Watson convert. I like his no nonsense approach to batting, I think he did well in the Ashes coming in for Hughes to open and his bowling looks decent too.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
When you get spanked 5-0 again and are over here crying, don't say I didn't tell you so :p